Iraq War Quotes: The Dems Who Were Right

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Soccernova78, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    Some interesting quotes here (via dailykos)

Wow. Prescience personified. We can throw in Howard Dean and Barack Obama into this mix also I would think. The funny thing is in the media the anti-war position is many times represented as dangerous, irresponsible, politically toxic and unserious. Yet many of the people who were anti-war couldn't have been more right in their predictions about what could happen.

2. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Odd. You did'nt quote this Democrat newly elected to congress,
    Here's the kicker

3. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    No, actually it's not odd at all that I didn't quote him. In case you didn't read the title, this thread is about The Dems who were right. This new congressmen wasn't right before the war, thus I didn't quote him.

Some Democrats supported this disaster but many others didn't. And the fact is if you take the House and the Senate together I'm pretty sure most congressional Democrats were against this abomination of a policy in Iraq.

4. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    I'm not so sure it was a majority. At least not those runing for office anytime soon. IIRC, the Dems had to go to Vermont to find a presidencial candidate that didn't support the war from the onset.

The article itself is interesting because it's how I think history wil judge the effort. That is, it was done for positive reasons but Rumsfeld's just-in-time reconstruction effort was always behind the curve.

5. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. History will probably note that the entire reason(s) for going to war involved (a) Weapons of Mass Destruction, notably chemical and biological weapons (that we sold Saddam), and (b) Enriched Uranium and tubes (that turned out to be false) and (c) UAVs that could dispurse such weapons on our allies (read: Israel).

All of the reasons turned out to be false.

The Rumsfeldian mistake of "I doubt 6 months" and "greeted with flowers" and "paid for by the oil revenues" are a secondary tragedy, but the reasons for the war will be seen by history as spurious.

6. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Some Democrats got it wrong. However, almost ALL Republicans go it wrong.

7. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    I was talking about congressional Democrats. In 2002 there were 212 Democrats in the House. 126 of them voted against the war. In the Senate 21 Democrats voted against war and 29 voted for it. Add the 126 in the House and 21 in the Senate and you have a majority of the Democrats in congress which voted against the war.

8. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    Fuzzy math. By your own numbers a majority of Dems in the house went against it and a majority of Dems in the Senate were for it. So one can't draw a lesson either way and the facts can't be fixed around a coherent arguement.

9. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    Yes but that can be dismissed by a "where they stood depended on where they sat" argument. IOW, many Reps were for it simply because their party was and many Dems were against it simply because the Reps were for it.

This is probably the best argument against the effect of partisanship on free speech and the need to think for oneself.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would that be odd? He's basing this on a kos post that's based on a WaPo article.

THREADJACK DENIED!!!

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. The record since WW II of imperial powers vs. indigenous uprisings makes Duke football look like a juggernaut. I think there's only been one success, in Malaysia, and in that one, the insurgents were mostly of one ethnic group. While the Brits used a smart strategy, they also had indigenous allies.

One reason I was against the war 4 years ago is that I'm not an historical nincompoop. Bushco, obviously, were.

12. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    Fuzzy math? A majority means more congressional Democrats voted against the war than for it. It's real simple. Add 126 and 21 together and you get a number of Dems who voted against it higher than the number that voted for it.

14. Katie!

Katie! New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Daddy was right, too.

15. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    I honestly think that's the funniest part of the whole thing.

If you call 665,000 dead Iraqis and 3154 dead coalition forces "funny."

16. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    What is the problem with Republicans and logic on this issue? This is a not-so-slick way of not giving credit to the Democrats when they were right. I could only imagine the torrents of praise you'd be heaping on the Republicans if the tables were turned.

To this I say to the Republican Party: "If George Bush jumped off of a bridge, would you do it too?"

Wait...I just got an idea...are there any tall bridges in DC?

17. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    And yet you make multiple responses. How odd you feel the need to do so.

18. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    If the tables were turned then this war would be an example of positive change brought about by American action. Now this war is an example of negative change brought about by American action. The reason it failed is debatable. One could imagine a scenario where the Iraqi army was never disbanded and the Iraqi government took it over. Would that have worked? Hell if I know but it's just as weak an argument as most Democrats made against the war. Since where they stood depended on where they sat, their arguments are circumstantial. Yes there might be a few that were prescient but there is no way to tell the difference.

And the converse is also true. If George Bush didn't jump off a bridge, would the Democrats?

Not that I recall but there are some back in the woods around Georgetown that are high enough.

19. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really, no. Well, maybe the new Wilson Bridge but I haven't seen it in person so I'm not sure.

20. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    Was he right then? Is he right now?

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's possible the answer to both is yes, or no, or that the answer to one is yes and one is no.

Considering these are two different issues, I'm not sure why you're still trying to threadjack. Why don't you start a thread asking if Reyes' support of the McCain position is a good idea or not.

22. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On one hand I like that this guy Reyes seems to be far more independent than the reep puppet chairmen we've grown accustomed to.

OTOH, WTF? Under what couch cushions do we find the extra 20,000 troops? It may may sense - yeah we need another 20,000 troops (really, the number is more like 200,000). Duh.

Can we come back out of orbit now and figure out a REAL solution?