Inventory of bugs from latest unannounced "update"

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Val1, Jul 29, 2013.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I wonder if the software migration (a year or two ago) was the last straw in their hopes of generating more revenue, that after that a bunch of people declined to re-up when their subscription was due, and that the recent more aggressive roll-over banner ads are BigInternet's attempt to replace a tiny bit of that lost revenue.

Yes, the decline of BigSoccer was probably inevitable in the face of Twitter et al, but I wonder if their decision to switch away from the tried & true BBS software backfired and made that decline all the more faster?

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I see that "My Threads" and "My Forums" has been added to the top black bar. Good -- that bar is present on every page, unlike the gray bar below it. It's not quite the old combined thread and forum page, but this is an improvement.

However, the "My" link on this page should be fixed: https://www.bigsoccer.com/

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for pointing that out. Wonder when that cropped up?

But it's kind of redundant no? "My Threads, My Forums" just above "Watched Forums, Watched Threads"?

I agree though that the most important place to have a one-click button is on the main home page.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    As I said, the gray bar links don't appear on every page.

But the menu system could (and should) be refined eventually.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup just put those "My Threads" and "My Forums" black tabs on the main home page and we're good to go!

If it were me, I'd then delete the redundant "Watched Forums" & "Watched Threads" gray tabs, and we'd have a good, workable system.

Like you say, just make the black tabs show up on every page and we're done! No more griping from the hoi polloi.

At least not about this topic anyway. ;)

[Edit: Dark Knight do you think you could get the admins/developers to do this?]

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    This is pathetic ...

Tapatalk just updated on my phone. Now when I pull up my "subscriptions" on BigSoccer, I get a page that lists all my subscribed forums on top with all my subscribed threads below.

Tapatalk handles my BigSoccer forum and thread subscriptions better than the actual BigSoccer website.

Again: pathetic.

sitruc repped this.
  7. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Boy, that US Open Cup celebration wore off really quickly...

Ismitje repped this.
  8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    "The natural state of the football fan is bitter disappointment, no matter what the score." :) :(

sitruc and KensingtonSC repped this.
  9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG I think today they finally made the change! When you open BigSoccer right on the home page it says My Threads & My Forums. And those tabs are maintained on other pages as well. Hallelujah! Bravo! Thanks!

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #535 NorthBank, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    Also I think I no longer have to click twice any more to post things. And the site seems overall snappier than it used to be. Like the old days. Could it be that we're in the midst of some real system maintenance? :D

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Tweets still cannot be embedded by using the media box.

12. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'll check on this one.

I think IE still is having problems so I'm checking on the status of that one as well.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DK, thanks if you had anything to do with getting the My Threads tab redone. I suspect it was not a massive thing for the developers but it makes a big difference to folks like me.

dark knight repped this.
  14. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to pop in here again and say what a piece of shit bigsoccer currently is.

So annoying to type out a big post and then as you click on something in it to modify it, that error message pops up and you accidently click on one of those links in it and it takes you to a new page and your old post is entirely lost.

F U bigsoccer.

15. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I can't seem to find whether you answered this question - but are you on IE and unable to change?

16. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. It's an old, old PC that doesn't do well with changes.

I know you can't do anything about it. Just sayin'.

dark knight repped this.
  17. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    It's an annoying question but are you sure it can't run FF or Chrome? Unless it's a work computer it seems like they wouldn't require any more resources than IE.

18. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Why should we have to? If you don't want to provide good customer service to roughly half your customers, that's your problem, not ours.

Thx,

Jay!

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its a good thing DK makes millions for working on BS, otherwise we would all sound like whining little babies.

dark knight and unclesox repped this.
  20. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    dark knight, if you get a chance in between counting the riches you get for being a BigSoccer Super Moderator and basking in all the glory you get for being a BigSoccer Super Moderator...

I have absolutely zero problems with BigSoccer in Chrome in Windows XP.

I have only one problem with BigSoccer in Safari on an iPad, but it's a heck of a problem: I can't paste into the box while replying to a thread (or starting a thread). So if I want to just dash off a quick reply, no problem, but if I want to paste a link or text from anywhere else, I'm out of luck.

dark knight repped this.
  21. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I would argue that it's both of our problems and especially frustrating for someone like cleazer who lost a long post. I'm following up to try to get to the problem, but I don't think a suggestion of a switch to a better browser generally is such a bad idea, especially until we can sort out what's going on.

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  23. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Weird - I was able to do it my iPhone - my iPad is at home and I'll test there this evening, but are you using the latest OS?

Dr. Gamera repped this.
  24. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    No, iOS 5, actually. This is presumably the part where you say "well, you should update".

25. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I actually don't love the new iOS so I'm not sure I can encourage that. I just know that it worked on my iPhone with the new software but I have the old software on my iPad and will try that next. If others are having this problem, please let us know.