Intriguing Managers Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by reddevilmike, Aug 7, 2018.

1. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Pretty simple. He was able to win the league off of PSG without spending crazy amount of money. He understood the market, buys and develops players.

He gets the best out of players. Jovetic was dead in the water, Falcao, Moutinho. He developed Fabinho to what he is as a holding midfielder than a right back. Benjamin Mendy as well.

Rony Lopes after his loan from Lille was kind of an outcast but he performed last year very well.

Saw that Moutinho needed to leave to let Tielemans take his place.

He has the IT factor.

He started today with Mboula Jovetic Diop while having Falcao on the bench. He trusted his young players knowing Falcao had the World Cup and could not play 90.

2. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    He is not an attacking coach. Today they had 30 percent of possession. He knows how to win a game.

EDIT: Him and Nuno Spirito are similar in my book. Nuno Spirito was let go too early by Valencia.

3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not sure if this exactly belongs here, but Neville made an interesting and valid point in defense of Jose recently: Yes he's spent quite a bit, but he has had to make up for years of bad recruiting under LVG.

I think if you consider that SAF was a genius and had us overperforming for years of underinvesting and that the club was in need of an overhaul when he left, we are actually about where one might expect we should be given what has transpired. That is to say, we have a squad that is firmly top 6, but in need of investment.

Lets consider that LVG spent about 350M GBP in his time at the club. What do we have to show for it? Martial, Shaw, Herrera, Rojo and Darmian are the ones remaining at the club.

Shaw gets ** because he lost a year of development with the injury, but he wasn't brought in to start right away. Herrera wasn't really an LVG buy as the club had identified him earlier. From a talent perspective, he's an ok buy.

But given that we'll likely see the back of Rojo and Darmian sooner rather than later, one starting quality LW and 2 squad rotation players in Shaw and Herrera is not good enough for 350M. When you consider that we began that period with MAJOR holes, we haven't done well prior to JM's arrival.

We have Lukaku, Pogba and Bailly - our three best players along the spine, but there are definite questions surrounding our defenders as a whole.

I'm under no illusions on the job that Jose is doing. I do think that we need to sign quality players and I think Ed's stance on not overpaying for Toby or signing Perisic was damned smart. If we can add a quality RW and quality at FB, we'll be in great shape.

We also need to be rid of Sanchez - and quickly too, but we have specific problems that need to/but can be addressed.

If you consider the team we had when Jose came to United, it is a vast improvement. He's done poorly in terms of man management and also our style of play and tactics, but adds and outs have been very good the last couple seasons.

yikchi repped this.
  4. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    Roberto Martinez ?!
    i know his resume is not that great but knows the league, can probably recruit Belgium and Spanish talents, will play young guys.

5. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    I will also give a lot of credit to Jose for the handling of Rooney.

johno repped this.
  6. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He and Southgate were refreshing to see in the world cup. These are the type of person manager status wise we should go for and stop looking at the "when chance big names is out there" as another poster had alluded to afew days ago

7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How can you say Shaw wasn't brought in to start right away? So we spent at the time a record fee for someone his age and position and shipped out Evra at the same time for a guy that wasnt supposed to start? So who was supposed to be the starter at LB then? Rojo? Blind? Blackett? Becuase those were the only other players that resembled LB on the team at the time.

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't know enough about Southgate, and really not too much about Martinez either really, but I don't think Martinez is the right candidate. Although... maybe with a strong DOF installed he might not be too bad. I think w/ a strong DOF we should go after the BuLi managerial talent.

J'can repped this.
  9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    His experience came mainly at the Championship level if I'm not mistaken. We paid a record sum for Ronaldo and he wasn't brought in as a starter. Some times, clubs pay over the odds for a kid with potential to be a starter in the hopes that they fulfill that.

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a massive difference though between being a national team coach and a club one. Putting aside the clear and obvious differences in the day to day activities and grind, it's just a completely different dynamic.
    Guys like Southgate and Martinez (the Croatian coach is another example) did a fantastic job at the WC, but in no way does it means or guarantees that they'd be able to replicate that type of success at club level.
    In the cases of Southgate and Martinez, we know it for a fact. Going further than the club and country issue, clubs like United, Real, Barca, Bayern and so on are not for everyone either. We've seen it with someone like Moyes firsthand, but there are plenty of examples of successful club coaches with smaller teams, who ultimately fail when transitioning to a truly big club. It's a different dynamic and those jobs also come with their own set of pressure that not everyone is able to handle.
    Obviously, there are outliers and exception to this, but that number in the grand scheme is still relatively small. But for our next coach, United need to shoot for the very best at their jobs currently (that means Allegri, Poch, Zidane or Jardim) and then work their way down, if those guys are not available...

11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So who do you think our starter was supposed to be then? Shaw was the only LB on the team unless you count Blind or Rojo.

12. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Shaw had played two seasons in the Premier League and was on the PFA team of the year his last season with Southampton. He was definitely brought in to be the starter.

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Blind is a LB/LWB by trade. He was a WC starter in 2014. Certainly far more established than most our other LB options. Shaw was purchased prior to Blind like a couple weeks if I recall correctly. Always seemed like Shaw was a purchase for the future to me.

14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You're way off on this one and keep getting wronger (more wrong?).

Blind was coming off being the Dutch footballer of the year as a CDM, his natural position. He only played LWB for the national team because of his flexibility and their lack of a decent LWB.

And Shaw was in the PFA team of the year before we bought him. He was brought in to be the starter, no question. We even sold Evra as soon as Shaw was purchased.

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My sincerest apologies then, I was certain they promoted in 2014, which would mean 2013 was in championship.

16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    See above post on both counts. My only exposure to Blind was NT, I hadn't seen him at Ajax. I'm sure you scouted him extensively. In this regard, I bow to your superior knowledge.

17. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    wasn't necessarily touting them per se but using them as an example. They are bright young managers given a chance. I think if we take the same approach maybe not people as green at Southgate but someone with a little more experience like Martinez . I think young fresh new ideas bright is the way to go. Not the same Carousel of managers that we typically get used to. Those names that come up with the argument that they are the only ones that can manage a club like United. Younger brighter fresher manager is the way to go give them a chance under the right circumstances and we should be fine

18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I just wanted to hear you say it.

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not enough to refresh the thread and read it the first time I said sorry!!!???!?

Red Jeph and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nah

johno repped this.
  21. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Cant be worse than the last 3, can he?

JamesA repped this.
  22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Meh, it's just L'Equipe putting 1 and 1 together to make 2. Jose is clearly in trouble and Zidane is a big name without a job. It makes sense to report it even with no evidence to back it up.

With that said, he's not my favorite candidate to take over for Jose but he would draw top level talent. Step 1 is getting rid of Jose. Step 2 is a DOF. Step 3 is new manager.

johno repped this.
  23. Jack Donaghy

Jack Donaghy New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 9, 2018
    Step 1: Collect underpants
    Step 2: ??
    Step 3: Profit

24. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mou surely has to go after this. I’m kind of intrigued by CQ. I’d like to bring him in to the end of the season on an interim basis and if he does well we can sign him long term. Obviously the United connection is there but he has done some good things with Iran as well.

jeff070 repped this.
  25. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    I like your choice. A safe one, a familiar one.