(Int'l Friendly) Germany vs Cameroon - 1 June 2014: 20:30 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Epitome990, Jun 1, 2014.

1. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ok but please stop quoting me if you miss the point of my posts to just repeat the same thing.

I made an entirely different point not even pertaining to the possibility of Volland potentially being able to become something we need but you saw some key words and the name so you just jumped in with the same thing you always say. At this point you're just not contributing to the discussion. Everyone already knows you want Volland to play in Löw's system and you honestly believe Löw is trying a false nine properly and failing. We moved on from this because it's an invalid claim. A system can only fail if it's properly tried and the drawbacks of playing with a false nine in Löw's 4-2-3-1 is one of the biggest issues.

2. Mudig

Mudig Member

Mar 29, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Are you people really freaking out over a friendly? Nobody was playing hard out there because nobody wanted to risk anything. Just look at the amount of space Cameroon players were given. The only thing to take in from this match was the fact that Low is terrible and that the false 9 bs doesn't work with Germans. He won't understand that though because he's an idiot.

3. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Götze not.

But Özil tried to avoid the whistling by getting off the field quicker than he was all the game before. Didnt help since the fans whistled instead when the stadium announcer said his name. So credit to the fans who knew what was happening.

4. BMGuy

BMGuy Member

Bayern Munich
    Sep 6, 2004
    vietnam
    anybody got the idea why durm got subbed by howedes. How on earth in the last minutes, loew used a cb, and not a real striker or midfielder. My best bet is he might want to use the greece tactics 2004, no need striker, but playing 4cbs on the field is "invention"

5. Bluecrux

Bluecrux Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I petition to start a petition to fire Low after the WC regardless of the results.

6. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree, volland must be played in place of goetze and kroos should play in Ozils position

7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Its a worry that the composition of the team seems to be unknown this late.

Zullu repped this.
  8. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Vice- versa Brazil have had a settled side for the last year and half

9. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Loew is going to wreck this generation of wonderful players up, it's going to be a mental barrier for them if they don't win it this year

10. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    It's pointless to say if it wasn't Loew, false 9 would work. It might, but the reality is Loew will be the coach for World Cup

So I don't want so see Goetze up top.

11. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Some things are clear in midfield I think

Kroos & Khedira will be too weak defensively as there is nothing resembling a holding player. IMO its worse that Schweinsteiger/Kroos

So Lahm certainly needed as the only proper holding player available

12. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I certainly don't agree about Khedira, he's class, but deffo Kroos is no holding mid, reminde r of the gang raping he got against Madrid, I don't think schweiny is either, he doesnt have the legs no longer

13. schwas

schwas Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #113 schwas, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    Im not sure if some you guys just Started following Germany recently or what but seriously can any of the posters who are freaking out about how bad this team is remind me of a a German team that gave a shit during a friendly, or played their best football during qualifiers?

Teams like Germany and Italy are what you call tournament teams...You will only really see how good or average they are during real tournaments.

Not sure why you refuse to accept that one or 2 of your favourite players had average games and made mistakes and blame everything on the coach...while on the Bayern forum you always talk about how Pep is a god everything bad is the players fault. On the BVB forum (since you seem to like the coach and their core players) you just blame their loses on inexperience and mentality. You always try to be neutral but just like the rest of us you always seem to have your ideas set in stone about who is and what is good for the team and who is and what is bad for the team.

This match aside....Im interested to know what you think of özil's progress as a player in the last 2-3 years...His over all game...passing, scoring, helping out in defense and leadership on the field. Also if you had to choose one attacking midfielder (out of özil and Kroos) that suits the team as a unit (not just in attack but also in recovery when losing the ball) who would you go for?

Also with the available players what would you do different to what löw is doing...formation and personnel.

Raumdeuter, Dage and Neutral2 repped this.
  14. Neutral2

Neutral2 Member

Apr 30, 2006
    Germany
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yep, every tournament the same story. People freaking out over test game performances. I wonder why some people never learn?

Özil looked out of place yesterday though. Seems to have some mental issues.

Liquid1010 and Dage repped this.
  15. Jordan Khamra

Jordan Khamra Member

May 21, 2014
    A terrible game at every level. A performance like this in the heat of Brazil would not earn us a point against anyone. A few notes and several are compounded by Brazil's weather:

* Ozil's Arsenal low confidence and loss of form continues. He slows everything down and he will be even slower in the heat of Brazil. At this rate, he should be pulled from the starting 11.

* False 9. We just don't have the players or the ability to play this way. Some have suggested Loew has a timetable for the experiment. When he only brings Klose and Volland as strikers it means we will see the false 9 a lot at the WC. Not even trying Volland is also not a good sign.

* Mueller and Reus will be Germany's primary offensive threat. We have a hard time scoring. We need several chances to score a goal. In 1998, we really had an average team but two strikers that can score with 1-2 chances. With the wheather, the team will find it harder and harder to generate several scoring opportunities and if we need 4-5 chances to score 1, we are doomed.

* Fitness is a big concern. So many injuries. Players who are not 100 fit will be more prone to get injured. Unfit players will negative affect the entire team with Brazil's weather.

* Loew is an idiot. I have never seen a more indecisive coach in my life. False 9 or striker, possession or direct play.... In 2008 we did not have a firm starting 11, same with 2010 and 2012. He experiemted with formations during the group stages at every tournament. The team needs stability. We ask the same questions before the every tournament, who will be the back 4, where will Lahm play, who starts upfront????? Not a good sign.

16. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I always talk about Pep is a god? Laughable. I've criticized him plenty. Maybe you need to do some research before you reach such conclusions.

And this is where you can't have a proper discussion. Unlike you, I don't deal in absolutes. I don't side with anyone since I don't hate players.

If you want to have a discussion, please don't resort to putting words in my mouth. The point was that it was pointless to scapegoat for this match because we know our players are capable of playing well when they want to so if Boateng, Götze or Özil had poor match it's not because they are shit or whatever, it's simply no motivation so there's no reason to make that a talking point when we know this is a pattern WITH THE WHOLE TEAM.

Talking points like tactics are more suited to discussion since that's more pertinent here. Similarly it's the coach who keeps players motivated and unless there is a serious issue with players (which is still hard to determine since these players are hugely successful for their clubs) it's common sense what the unifying theme is here. For ********s sake, Löw is playing a false nine in a 4-2-3-1, a formation that isn't suited to that decision WHATSOEVER. Why? It's constantly failing because of that, so why not talk about it?

And regarding Özil his progression as a player from his Schalke days into the best assister in Europe and Germany's most important player is well noted. No need to get into that. He had a difficult past year, getting forced out of a club he loved and wanted to stay in, into a league with much pressure because of an absurd pricetag, into a culture that heavily bases its dialogue on hyperboles, and into a team that is quite easily a horrible place for stability. So it's natural to see him have an up and down year. In retrospect, he actually didn't have a bad season considering he was out for so long and Wenger played him through fatigue and injury but because we hold him up to the standard set at Madrid we suddenly have unrealistic expectations. He needs a bit more time to get back to perfect shape. What can help is more stability at club level. For Germany he will come good because he has the players around him and he has shown that every big match. So there is more stability there for him and he actually has a place in this 4-2-3-1.

Dalmar and MatthausSammer repped this.
  17. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    When has Özil ever been Germany's most important player? Which big games were decided by him or at least dominated? You could maybe something like that about Müller or Schweinsteiger for his overall influence on the team but so far Özil hasn't been more or less important for the NT than Podolski between 2006 and 2010.

Raumdeuter and Kirsten19 repped this.
  18. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You don't need me to go into the archives of games. Big games are all tournament matches and can be qualification games. Özil's importance and influence on this team should not be a question. He is the creative hub of this side and has been for years.

Your Podolski comparison is incredibly misguided and shows your terrible bias. Abhorrent comment.

Dalmar and MatthausSammer repped this.
  19. Jordan Khamra

Jordan Khamra Member

May 21, 2014
    This is actually a valid point SirManchester. No doubt Ozil has fine ball handling skills and is a great passer but as a playmaker, he does not shoot enough, has a weak shot and does not score enough. His best years were with Madrid. While at Madrid, people could question whether Ozil makes Ronaldo better or whether Ronaldo makes Ozil better. I think the answer was provided this year. You simply can't be just a passer and be effective.

20. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No. To suggest he isn't important and to make the comparison to Podolski is outrageous. I don't see the value of those statements other than to demean the player.

And how can you reach such a conclusion after a year at Arsenal? An unstable club where he was played to the ground, and then injured?? Wouldn't multiple years be better to conclude what kind of player he is?

And more importantly we always knew he isn't a Messi type who will take game into his own hands. He'd sometimes rather create than go up, dribble and shoot and that's ok. He doesn't need to be. We are creating guidelines for him to be something he isn't. How obnoxious and entitled is that? Yea he's low on confidence but at his best he is a player who for Germany has 77 matches, scored 17 and assisted 26 times in four years. HOW ON EARTH IS THAT NOT A VERY GOOD RECORD? In the World Cup and EuroCup he had three assist each. In every qualifying his goals and assist have regularly come against the best teams in the groups; Turkey, Belgium, Austria, Sweden, Ireland regardless of their quality. In friendlies he's scored or assisted against Uruguay, Netherlands, France, and Chile off the top of my head. In tournaments where every game is important, he has more than show his influence scoring and assisting against Ghana which he decided, England, Argentina and in the Euros being the only player to step up and want to take the penalty against Italy.

Why does he get criticized more for matches in which every player is poor? It's a disease in the football fan world to impose false expectations based purely on knee jerk emotional reaction and ignorance.

Again, I'd like to see this "valid" point articulated for once. Otherwise it's nothing.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  21. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Like @Sifrit has said, I blame Loew for not bringing in a striker after Klose. Klose is very unfit this all season. And we need a plan B to False 9s

KLOSE will retire after World Cup 2014, should bring Volland and let him learn and build for the future at this position

22. Jordan Khamra

Jordan Khamra Member

May 21, 2014
    It is not a poor record for a player on the NT. But when you are supposed to be the driving engine of the team and biggest offensive weapon, it is not the greatest record. I am not basing this on 1 year. I think people have talked about his lack of goals, lack of shots, poor shots, lack of stamina and fading away after 60 minutes for years. I'd like him to prove me wrong but there is reason why where Ozil goes there has been critisizm - there is no conspiracy here.

23. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But this is the problem. He shouldn't be expected to the the driving engine and biggest offensive weapon. That's absurd.

24. Jordan Khamra

Jordan Khamra Member

May 21, 2014
    Well, that is the responsibility that come with being the team's playmaker. When Arsenal pays 40M+ for your services, that also comes with certain amount of expectations.

25. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Again, irrational to use inflated market values to create expectations.

And you're making false equivalencies. Is he the primary playmaker or the biggest offensive weapon? A playmaker's responsibilities first are to create and he does that.

So again, can anyone really articulate this because nobody has done a good job so far.