(Int'l Friendly) Germany vs. Argentina 08.15.2012 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by ForeverRed, Aug 15, 2012.

1. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Reus, schuerrle was a winger throughout once he came on. Reus was much better supporting the striker than playing as an actual striker. Always wants the ball, seems too creative to be in the box all the time. However, this was a strange setup, Loew might opt to give him another shot.

2. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sure but you can't fault the central midfielders when the fullbacks are out of position, when the offside trap fails or when the centerbacks don't read the play properly. They're not responsible for what happens in the team's third, that's the backline. Again, the collective is the problem. The team defends as a unit and that's where the real problems lie so you have individual errors in judgement all over the field but the most glaring errors happen in the backline. And why? Because its a part of the game that Löw obviously doesn't emphasize as much.

3. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Absolutely spot on. I thought this was a glaring problem heading into the euros but now im convinced its the reason why we may never win anything. Our defense is too unorganized, however - I'm not sure if this stems from inexperience of holding up a high line or simple Loew failing to organize the side properly.

4. KFofB

KFofB Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Mittelfeld
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of those really apply in this case. This is not to say that the Bayern boys had a great match, but they can't compensate for everyone.

Over generalization. You can get overloaded in zones if players let runners go.

the collective mentality is a problem. they say about teamwork: "everyone's responsibility is no one's responsibility." They way Bender left them hanging was very akin to the situation where the whole team presses except for one guy. if just one guy doesn't press, you're screwed because you're farther up the pitch than you would otherwise be, and the opposition is then in behind you.

5. Dr Faust

Dr Faust Member+

Jul 12, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I, for one, am glad to see that Götze is apparently unaffected by his lengthy break from football and looks almost as if it was October 2011 again and nothing had ever happened. I was fearing that he might need several months to get back to his old form (similar to Kagawa last season), but during his sub appearances against Bayern and, now, Argentina, Götze looked as convincing, lively and comfortable as ever and was able to have an immediate impact on the games. Hopefully he'll confirm these first positive impressions and will be able to build on them over the course of the next few months and beyond.

6. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It has to be a combination of the system, the coach's execution of it and the personnel. The statistics don't lie and it's worrying.

7. KFofB

KFofB Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Mittelfeld
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure that would be a fine post ... for the Dortmund forum. But aren't you glad Jogi subbed Mueller so that he'll be fresh for Bayern?

8. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The game is indicative of a wider trend thats been with the team for some time now. And yes, Badstuber and Boateng failed kept Sosa onside on the penalty, Schmelzer didn't track Messi on his goal after Bender was out of position and the backline struggled with through balls the whole game so yes, it does apply.

Yea I'm not saying Bender had a flawless game but I don't think he should be isolated because he did more good than bad. Also, watch the build up to Messi's goal. 15 passes strung together and only one of the German players was even moving. That was Khedira.

9. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know many say reus and schurrle are great wingers, but we need someone from our ultimate 5 to be our CF.
    Klose will be too old and Gomez is just not fit for our style..

So we have to have someone upfront... Either it's going to be reus or muller..

But I mean spain had 0 CF for crying our loud, maybe we don't need to have "the stereo typical German CF"

Have reus in a more advanced role Ozil right behind him and muller and gotze on the wings and schurrle for a super sub. This would really be devastating as we saw the potential here..

10. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agreed, why was there nobody on the nearpost on the 1st goal? Basic CK defending 101, no? Ter Stegen should've had someone there. There's a reason he's not above Neuer.;)

Boa & Bads better not play like that for Bayern. There's a reason we bought Dante.:thumbsup:

11. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I think Reus at CF is just a short term solution, Mario Gomez too in fact..........

This will be a breakout season for Schieber, Nils Petersen, Joselu and maybe Sebastian Polter and Fuellkrug. I expect one of them will be making promise and brought in to the NT

12. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Petersen? Surely, you jest. Schieber has potential though.

13. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Volland and Samed Yesil (and maybe Fuellkrug) are the special ones. Schieber could make it big too.

14. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I actually like Kevin Volland's potential, but i think he'll be playing on the wings if he ever starts at all;

Mlapa will be playing out wide too, since Luuk De Jong, Hanke and De Carmago will be main strikers in the middle;

Joselu who was born n raise in Germany till the age of 10 will be interesting, like his upside;

but i think a serious "dark horse" will be Sebastian Polter from Nuernberg. Looked very promising last season: strong n big, good positioning n scoring instinct, confident.

Niclas Fuellkrug also looked very impressive in preseason games

Lets dont forget about Marvin Ducksch, rate him just as high as Yesil, maye lower floor but i think higher ceiling

15. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Kirsten, you always come up with these teenagers. Do you want them to play in the NT now or simple call the names for the future?

No offense, but I simply don't get the sense of these posts (not that this is always necessary in an online board, but I would like to know the intention).

odd1234 repped this.
  16. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Other than samed Yesil n Marvin Ducksch, others such as Volland, Mlapa, Schieber, Nils Petersen, Polter, Joselu n even Niclas Fuellkrug do have their chances playing in the 1BL. And i think Petersen, Joselu, Volland and Polter hv good chance to start for their teams

Mlapa, Schieber, Petersen, Polter and Joselu are in the 21-24 range, cant call them teenagers at all.

17. matrix666777

matrix666777 Member

May 31, 2008
    Tirana
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    First of all let me say that Ozil is really getting on my nerves...his place should be put into question....he's just being a lazy bastard and a pu-ssy.

Now let's start with the defence...Low really needs to find a solution. Boateng will never be more than average, Schmelzer has a lot of heart but we all know can't be a starter. Badstuber and Hummels have potential, but have a lot to improve. On the other hand Howedes is showing great potential and on top of that he really has balls (which we need badly) and Lars Bender is very promising. So the core of defence should include: Lahm, Hummels, Badstuber, Howedes, Lars Bender. Boateng and Schmelzer should only be used as backups.

Now with central miedfielders, Schweini and Khedira have been always first choice, but again this should be put into question. Sven Bender has a lot of potential, while Khedira although did run a lot also made a few mistakes. Gudnogan didn't really impress. As much as I like Schweini if he doesn't perform his place should not be guaranteed. Low has to find the best combination between Schweini, Khedira, Kroos and Sven Bender.

Let's discuss the attacking options...the last 30 minutes showed very clearly (as the game against Greece did show) that the new players that came in worked much better. It's also clear that Gomez doesn't work in this system and that Klose is getting too old (can be used as a sub only). On the other hand Reus was outstanding again, Schurrle always dangerous, Gotze was great and Muller is always unpredictable. Low really should consider starting with Rues, Schurrle, Gotze and Muller upfront. Ozil, Klose, Draxler and Podolski should be in the bench.

18. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I also think that many of these players will get much playing time in the Bundesliga. If one of them shows very good performances over a couple of matches the player can be invited to the NT. But my motto is: first performance, then nomination (otherwise a team structure can get destroyed).

19. KFofB

KFofB Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Mittelfeld
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is by no means clear that Schmelzer should have been picking up Messi on that play.

Bender did some decent things in less important areas, but I thought he was a real liability for the important stuff.

20. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He was right in his line of sight though so he could have seeing that Bender went away from him. Just saying it was again a collective failure rather than an individual one in my opinion. The backline simply isn't cohesive enough as a unit. It relies too much on individual defending, that's why its so vulnerable on counters or in one-on-one situations. To me that's the real problem and that's how Argentina scored two of their goals yesterday.

21. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Defense is something that takes experience on an individual level and as a group. Our players simple lack both right now, but fortunately two years is a long time. I'm not taking Loew off the hook completely, but I also don't think he and his staff are entirely to blame. Just like I think it's silly to write Schmelzer off for the national team. Boateng is a fantastic CB during most of the game, but then he makes mental errors that are often killers, Badstuber is a very smart CB who makes up for his lack of speed with his positioning and thinking, but he regularly misreads his fellow defenders for the NT. Even Hummels makes sloppy mistakes.

These are issue that can be helped by coaching, but also take time to fix. Right now the only certains in defense are Lahm, Hummels and that we need to stop ********ing around with CBs playing RB, Schmelzer had a solid game and has earned a run as the back opposite Lahm, Jantschke should get a run after the U21 EM next year, same with Jung, but Boateng and Hoewedes need to be playing in the middle for Die Mannschaft from here on out unless it's an emergency during a tournament where there's no true FBs still healthy.

22. Dalmar

Dalmar Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid

U need to improve your reading skills.

Who said Bender had a bad game? I said there was no good reason for Bender to start over Gundogan. Gundogan had a phenomenal season, he won everything there was to it. Let me say it again slowly: THIS IS A SELECTION QUESTION NOT A PERFORMANCE ISSUE.

Low is the one who chooses, we the people will ask question on how he selects certain players over others. Was it based on merit? It is a legitimate question.

There is no pressure on Low? lol

23. KFofB

KFofB Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Mittelfeld
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you will know i've been complaining about both Bayern and Germany's defense for some years around here. A house built on sand cannot stand.
    Some others here want to arrange deck chairs on the titanic and talk about whether schuerrle starts over Poldi, etc.

24. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    One positive I'd like to mention was the way Sami, Bender and Reus played after we went a man down. Those three shifted around to form a very difficult to break through triangle in the midfield while Klose played up top and Oezil played on the off wing, letting that trio move to the ball. That was crafty and effective.

25. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well changes are needed everywhere and the Podolski thing was building for 2 years until everyone finally came to the same conclusion. But the biggest problem to me is obviously the defense so I'm very much with you on that. From our inability to keep a clean sheet to our constantly rotating backlines to players being played out of position it's just not good enough. It's easy to assume Löw just doesn't put the same emphasis on defense that he does on set pieces for example and that is worrying.