International Transfer Rumors [R]

Discussion in 'Mexicans Abroad' started by sidspaceman, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaney

Kaney Sleeping Dragon
    Staff Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Lake County, IL AKA Southern Wisconsin
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Don't cherrypicker and cazador de goles imply the same thing?

Van Nistelrooy scores goals in big games and has been doing it top leagues for years. Yes, he's had a lot of help, but he consistantly finishes, Bravo has had only one great season. Bravo has also been labeled a cherry-picker by some here but he isn't always good at that.

Bravo is an above-average player at best. There is nothing wrong with that, but I'd rather we send only our most talented over, and at a younger age. Since younger players generally aren't superstars in Mexico, they might be willing to stick it out in Europe rather than pull a Kikin and come back the next transfer window because they were homesick. Every guy that pulls a "Kikin" potentially closes the door to Europe for a younger, more deserving Mexican player. While I don't think Bravo would give up as easily as Kikin did, I don't think he'd do much to stick out unless he went to a really bad team and put up decent numbers. He wouldn't play on a decent European team.

2. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

maybe bravo will do good en la tercera division de la liga espanola..

pero quien sabe... maybe he will miss the tacos de carne asada...

:D

3. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    yes cherry picker and caza gol are the same thing.

come on people.

who cares if he sticks out or not.

if he's gone he's gone.

and as far as him closing doors, gio , vela, rafa, salcido, osorio, pardo, and hopefully guardado and maybe even nery are changing that.

4. Carcacha

Carcacha Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No reason to get angry. I find it amazing how easy it is for people on here to lose their cool, especially over stupid crap. Show some maturity. Now, Im just sayin that the “supremacy” that FMF clubs had over the MLS once upon a time is disappearing, and partly due to the reasons I have mentioned. Lets take the nationalism glasses off and realize that the blowouts of yesterday no longer happen, the games between both leagues are competitive. Why is that? Although the gap isn’t closed like some spazzos say, Im worried about the MLS’s future potential through its investors/managers/owners/etc. These were the guys that brought over Beckham and Blanco cuz they knew it was in the best interests of the league. It’s a chain reaction driven by money and business. Money buys good players and coaches and that’s how clubs and leagues get better. MLS took a gamble on Beckham, they saw it as a long term investment not just to make soccer popular, but to more importantly help the quality of the league. In a few years it may be possible to see higher caliber coaches and players in the MLS for this reason. My comparison with the NFL, NBA, etc is that it shouldn’t be a surprise that several “unknown” American players are abroad given the athlete/agent exposure this country has. I don’t see the same experience and results on the Mexican side - soccer is the country’s main sport and theyre lackin in that agent/marketing/exporting field. That’s an area that could definitely develop and help to get some younger, unknown players abroad. That’s all man, no reason to get mad. My motto is simple: el que no ve adelante, atras se queda. With our narrow mindedness, stubbornness, nationalism its easy to not look outside the box and realize that despite our dislike for the MLS, theyre making progress because they’re lookin ahead, lookin for ways to get better and doing em.

5. Rulas

Rulas BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    nice, i totally agree.

6. Lil Puppet

Lil Puppet Member+

Feb 11, 2007
    A Basket
    Club:
    FC Illychivets Mariupol
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

How many mottos do you live by?...

I agree... somewhat. Sometimes for a lot of Mexicans, on occasion, pride overhelms reasoning. And thus is the reason why they get all bent out of shape when you say "Despierta, ¡no somos una potencia mundial!" See how NachoNation doesn't make a valid point as to why MLS players are cheap? It's pride taking over reasoning. Is he disregarding the importance of Marketing? Hmm, can you say "Beckham-mania"? Maybe he doesn't understand the business side of it. Or maybe he only cares not to give "spazzoids" hope that they can in fact overthrow us.

For the most part, many mexicans will never accept that the gap between the FMF and MLS is or was closing fast. But now (finally!), the world's eyes are on Mexican talent, and this will help not only to widen the gap between us and them a little further, but to having an actual/legit chance as world champs, which in fact is more important than this petty rivalry. It's sad that soccer is the only sport we dominate in Mexico but COULD still fall behind a country that doesn't really care for the sport.

I guess i'm a realist and see the bigger picture than most. I don't know...

7. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah...I don't buy it. As someone else said, the gap is decreasing but you paint a picture that I don't find to be true. Of course the MLS is improving, the league is over 10 years old now, they're bringing pretty good S. Americans and some slightly over the hill stars. I just think you seem to not recognize that our league is improving also. At the rate of the MLS, of course not, but look at where they started. You'll see that their improvement will start to plateau soon enough...just like all of them. Mexican footy I believe is as strong as it has ever been. More often we're reading of kids getting taken to Europe for big clubs. The entire Mexican league is full internationals from other countries. Now, even Argentina is calling up players from the Mexican league. Countries are now recognizing the quality of players that Mexico is producing and the strength of the league. I honestly think the people living here in the US are the only ones that refuse to accept it that.

You citicize Mexico's marketing but I think for the most part Mexico is improving on that as well. Teams are developing relationships with Euro clubs like Atlas/Deportivo. RM, Barca, and Milan have academies in Mexico that will hopefully allow a couple of prodigees to be noticed sooner. Talk about marketing, how does the fact that almost all of the Mexicans playing in Europe won their respective leagues sound?

It isn't being close minded just because we feel the FMF and its future is relatively healthy. You're quick to praise the MLS and its efforts but some of the things they;ve tried have been just gimicks. Wasn't there commercial breaks at one point, penalty shoot outs after every tie, and now the DP rule (which may or may not work). For all of their innovations why can't they just play a normal schedule as to avoid all the issues of playing other tournaments during their preseason, or schedulre important MLS matches the day after a FIFA date. Players like Becks, Donavon, and Bornstein will have to play two games in two days, including long travel just because the MLS couldn't look at a calender.

Just to clear things up...the MLS and the MFL will never be at the level of the EPL, La Liga, or Serie A. The fact the both leagues could never produce anything like the Champions League will forever prevent the leagues from reaching those kind of heights.

8. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Since you see the big picture, why don't you acknowledge the fact that Mexico is improving in other sports too. Lorena Ochoa (number 1 golfer in the world, she's becoming instumental in encouraging kids to play golf), we still kick ass at boxing (last time I checked Mexico had the most champions). It may not be much but it still progress.

The US is also familiar with losing to other countires with respect to their most beloved sports. e.g. Basketball (Olympics, World Championships), Baseball World Championship.....shit happens.

9. Lil Puppet

Lil Puppet Member+

Feb 11, 2007
    A Basket
    Club:
    FC Illychivets Mariupol
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Got me there! I completely forgot about Boxing, which in fact IS the sport we have dominated wordwide. Thanks for the reminder, I guess I was so into the soccer debate that I forgot about it. But really, though we are IMPROVING in other soprts, we are still way behind the US in other sports. Soccerwise, they are/were catching up, even though once upon a time they were way behind us. Which was my (and Carcacha's) point all along.

10. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Guys I am about this close to closing this thread.

Get it back on topic you know rumors.

Drop the whole Bravo thing and MLS vs MFL.

11. ucsbrat

ucsbrat Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I'm all up for getting back on topic, but as long as Bravo is still being toy'd with a possible move to another country/league.. that completely constitutes (headline) International Transfer Rumors. :rolleyes:

12. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    OK thing is none of the last few hundred posts about Bravo have anything to do with a possible move to another club.

13. TrDm1n3r

TrDm1n3r Member+

Dec 8, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    Club América
  14. Phenom

Phenom Member+

Apr 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  15. Necaxista

Necaxista New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Cuernavaca
    Club:
    Club Necaxa
    Nat'l Team:
    Namibia
    Bravo's not leaving, at least to Racing, they recently signed a guy from Borussia (I think Smolarek, very good player).

Neither is Ochoa, Racing also signed a goalie from San Lorenzo.

16. melman152003

melman152003 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Chi-Town
    Now that belleti left for chelsea do u think this will open the door to osorio to barca? As was reported a couple weeks ago that he was on their list to replace him

17. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Thank you captain obvious.

Don't talk to me about being blinded by nationalism pendejo. I'm one of the few here that doesn't go off on a tirade about how much the MLS sucks whenever we're going to play them. At one point I was, but I've toned it down considerably. I'm actually pretty reasonable.

You're an idiot because you constantly make the assumption that Mexico isn't doin shit to improve. I think you're a spazzo gone incognito.

One idiot fooled.

Yep, they're cheap because they have great marketers over there.:rolleyes:

That's good for their clubs how? You're an idiot too.

I'm tired of reading all you nooberts wanting our players to whore themselves out for peanuts because it's Europe. Oooh! Europe. As if some of the clubs in the FMF haven't done a pretty good job of developing some pretty good players. Players you know, that are like on championship teams in Europe. After all that, they're supposed to let them go for practically free despite all the money they put into their development.

The fatalistic approach you guys take is just ridiculous. Our clubs and NT go toe to toe with pretty good company as it is. Yet somehow in your convoluted minds, Mexico will be on the verge of being a laughingstock soon.

STFU!

18. Carcacha

Carcacha Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    oye baboso, quien te crees que eres pendejo? si no te parece lo que yo digo pues entonces no leas, no me tienes que insultar. no seas naco, puedes opinar sin tener que ser tan animal.....me vale madre lo que tu digas, ya para que aqui muera la cosa

19. PasionPorElTri

PasionPorElTri New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Guadalajara, Mexico
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Unsubscribed... Ciao

20. Mexican_Texan

Mexican_Texan New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Houston, TX
    No kidding, this used to be a good thread.

21. el mero mero

el mero mero New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Santa Úrsula
    1 down, 528 threads to go...:D

22. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali