Pre-match: International Friendly: USA vs Paraguay March 27th, 2018

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    International Friendly
    USA vs Paraguay
    Tuesday, March 27th 2018
    WakeMed Soccer Park
    Cary, North Carolina

TV and Time TBA

Marko72 repped this.
  2. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @bshredder 's squad

963161411944935426 is not a valid tweet id

Marko72, largegarlic and Anderson11 repped this.
  3. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    So one friendly out of a possible two last November. One friendly out of a possible two for January camp. One friendly out of a possible two for March. Two friendlies out of a possible 3 for June.

Financial clampdown? Embarrassed to play more games for more scrutiny? Waiting for Presidential changes? No one in federation cares at all about any of this crap? All of the above?

4. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    For one game, I say it’s a waste of time to call up Pulisic and a Mckennie that will likely still be rounding into fitness. Parks, however, makes sense as he isn’t playing/isn’t likely to play with Benfica and his spot is secure on the B squad

USAMEX10 repped this.
  5. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. is there still time to schedule 2 games in March? (seems like there should be)
    2. What's the timeline on removing Sarachan? (I personally hope he doesnt coach another game for USMNT).

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic should decline all participation in this program until at the least a permanent, quality coach is in place.

Borrachin, SCSAutism, yurch10 and 4 others repped this.
  7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is your profile pic an image of Pulisic reading this post?

deuteronomy, CMeszt, onefineesq and 8 others repped this.
  8. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I'm over Sarachan as well, but I'd bet it's likely that he's still the coach in March. I suspect that we'll be doing well to have a technical director in place by March, so I'd doubt that whoever that ends up being will install a new coach that quickly.

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This would be the time to help Euro players either calling them if it helps them or not calling them if that helps them.

Having said that, it seems to me this game in NC against Paraguay should be a further combing thru the pool n(not one more occasion to see Sapong instead of Ramirez, Adams and K.Acosta instead of Delgado and Roldan, Opara instead of Parker/Glad,etc.)

I'd like to see Cordeiro get Tab in the driver's seat so we can concentrate on the youth/ex-youth players. Sarachan seems to have a hard time making tangible progress.

An equally important objective would be to look at the people we thing we will need for friendlies in Europe later this year pre-WC. I believe we are playing France in June. Most of the players will likely be Euro based but we should think about whom we should bring from States for depth and integration into a joint team. Unfortunately, I think the answer will be the guys who don't know how to play like Acosta and Adams instead of guys who are proven winners like Ramirez, Roldan and Delgado and Gonzalez.

Patrick167 and 21st Century Pele repped this.
  10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My group (not best 23, just who’d I’d call in based on multitude of factors)

GK: Ethan Horvath, Jonathan Klinsmann, Brad Guzan

DF: Timmy Chandler, Antonee Robinson, Matt Miazga, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Eric Lichaj, Tim Parker, Shaq Moore, Eric Palmer-Brown* (Justen Glad)

MF: Lynden Gooch, Christian Pulisic, Daniel Williams, Emo Hyndman, Keaton Parks, Juan Torres, Alfredo Morales, Jonathan Amon, Kenny Saief

FW: Jordan Siebatcheu* (Tim Weah), Haji Wright, Josh Sargent, Aron Johansson, Andrija Novakovich, Terrence Boyd

Starting XI
    GK Guzan (Horvath) 46
    RB Chandler (Moore) 60
    CB Miazga
    CB Carter-Vickers
    LB Lichaj (Robinson) 60
    RM Gooch (Amon) 60
    CM Williams
    CM Parks (Torres) 46
    LM Saief
    CF Pulisic
    FW Johansson (Siebatcheu/Sargent) 70

11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. It's his reaction to Sarachan being the coach.

Patrick167, SCSAutism and Winoman repped this.
  12. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'd be weird to hire a second interim coach

Marko72 and WrmBrnr repped this.
  13. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah i wish more players had tried to speak up about the need for change i.e. the presidential election, too

14. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed....but it would be weirder to keep sarachan.

i'd rather see ramos (and i'm not a fan of him being hired as the full-time...but at least he makes sense as an "audition") or porter or pretty much anyone....i'd rather see a good college coach than sarachan....i'd rather see sasho cirovski......or hugo perez ...etc etc......

15. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    "the Federation expects the schedule of matches in 2018 to be one of the most demanding, non-tournament campaigns over a calendar year in MNT history"

Awesome.

sXeWesley repped this.
  16. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing in a 10K stadium is a national embarrassment.

It doesn't even meet our D1 requirements.

17. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    It's close enough to me that I can go...so that's a plus.

Thundering165 and neems repped this.
  18. 21st Century Pele

Apr 16, 2014
    I guess they're tired of making empty 30k seat stadiums look full, so now they can try to make an empty 10k seat stadium look full.

19. Macchi

Macchi Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Yeah, but if he had he would have been accused of not being ‘Murican enough and benched.

So much sadness.... but at least I can look forward to the Spring and helping to coach rondos to our second graders.

20. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's a low-key friendly. Truly embarrassing is that the American Outlaws treat such games as WCQs. You don't need to Dead Head-up for a friendly. I don't care if it's with Brazil in the Rose Bowl. Let's concentrate on on-field matters for now and forgo the glamour.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  21. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree.

It’s a big country, if LA cannot bring the fans out to see the games then perhaps we should consider another location.

Even, in January, which we may want to stay in the southern parts of the US.

LA
    San Diego
    Phoenix
    Las Vegas
    Albuquerque
    El Paso
    Dallas
    Austin
    Houston
    San Antonio
    New Orleans
    Jacksonville
    Orlando
    Miami
    Tampa
    Atlanta
    Nashville

...There’s plenty of places to try out.

Patrick167 repped this.
  22. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long has it been since we played in Cary? Been awhile... maybe the last time was when Bob Bradley was the coach?

10k stadium, expecting USSF to charge crazy prices to maximize $$$. Wonder if they're trying to promote North Carolina FC for future MLS expansion? More likely another friendly fell through, and this is a last minute decision/location.

Pulisic might want to play but also wouldn't blame him if he wants to focus on club. He is probably the only player who could reject a call up. I mean others could too, but you know what I mean. He has power because he's our best player. Dave Sarachan doesn't excite players. Especially since he was Arena's #2.

We're basically playing meaningless games until the permanent head coach is named. You can't build anything or properly assess where players stand until then.

puttputtfc repped this.
  23. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Agreed. I'm not sure why a game is scheduled at this time.

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We ditched the glamour many moons ago.

Now we're playing in a stadium smaller than numerous HS football stadiums.

If it were simply about on-field matters then just fly the players into NY and play it at Red Bull Arena. That would be most efficient.

Wonder how long it'll take to sell this thing out.

[​IMG]

Three and Three repped this.
  25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So, Cary NC, the seedbed of future MLS/Soccer fans. Good job, Sunil.

We shouldn't call anybody from Europe on this one unless they could use a call up. Weah comes to mind. Let's start collecting some iou's .Why don't we just put Tab in charge.

In any case, this game does give us a chance to see the guys who didn't get a chance to show their wares in Carson. Delgado, Glad, Parker, Ramirez, come to mind.

In addition, we could think of giving some of the guys who were in the youth camp a chance to play with older guys. Carleton, Durkin, come to mind.

I like the idea of starting in a 3 back formation and change mid game if we prefer.

The team i'd like to see

---------------------Ramirez----Morris
    ---------Rowe-----Roldan----Delgado---Adams
    -----------------------------Durkin
    -----------------Parker---Glad---Long
    ---------------------gk: Guzan(Klinsman)

Would depend on what the Paraguay team looks like tho.