Pre-match: International Friendly: USA vs Jamaica; June 5th 2019

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I think that a role can be carved out for a tidy passer with meh ball-winning and too-slow-for-the-majors feet/mind, particularly for home games vs. less potent squads. I could also see that WT could be useful in showing players how GB likes his system to be run in early practices.

That's a far cry however from building the team around him as the QB/regista. GC will be highly informative.

largegarlic repped this.
  2. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This thread suffers a LOT from excessive use of initials. While I guess many people reading know what MB, GB, WT and all the other initials stand for I am sure that a number of people just give up trying to follow what is being said because they have no idea who is being discussed.

I think that people should use the full name or at least the first name and last name's initial. Greg B, in this context, is a lot more clear than just GB.

I know it is an attempt to save time but if the difference in time between typing the name and typing the initials is important then I fail to see why wasting time on a board like this is at all a good thing.

I have fallen into the lazy habit of using initials but I hope that I do it rarely and that it will become even more rare in the future.

To me, if you want people to read and understand what you are saying the it would be in your best interest to post in such a way that people that are not imminently conversant with every name in US soccer can actually read and understand what is being said.

3. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I'm super guilty. will try to do better. To be fair, there's only 20 of us and we all know what everyone else is going to say......

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    While I do agree that there are not a large number of people contributing to this thread I would argue that part of the reason is that people that might have something to say have no idea what is being said or who is being discussed.

BTW: Thanks for trying to do better. That is all I, or anyone else, could ask for.

DHC1 repped this.
  5. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Nope. GZ or GZ or GZ will save us.

6. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gyasi Zardes, Gedion Zelalem and who??

DHC1 repped this.
  7. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why Graham Zusi of course!

8. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How could I forget!

truefan420 repped this.
  9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I agree with you FOF.

10. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so, and I think it should happen. Regarding GreggB quotes on this matter, I specifically had this story in mind when I wrote my post.

yurch10 repped this.
  11. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Damn, SoccerHouse is starting to figure things out.

Pegasus and wixson7 repped this.
  12. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    The last 3 non-premium friendlies have been extremely reasonable. I may be a homer here but the ticket price excuse from some has gotten a bit tired...if you ask me.

Concacaf sets price and locations for gold cup and nations league.
    Fifa sets price and locations for WC.
    USSF sets price/location for home friendlies and qualifiers.

Premium friendlies (Brazil, Mex, etc) will definitely be in the $70 range...

With that said....29 bucks includes taxes and fees as well. Extremely reasonable.

13. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah, that's where things should be at, though I do think that USSF has overshot their price/demand curve the last 6-9 months or so with games. What were prices for the last 4 or so games?

Tangentially related, I've been looking into Gold Cup final tickets. I can afford to spend to get some premium seats this time around if it's just me and my wife going, but good god, Ticketmaster's website doesn't let you click on tickets by section! I have to scroll through everything until I find what I want.

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/conca...go-illinois-07-07-2019/event/0400552D92824B2E

TheRightPants, Winoman and wixson7 repped this.
  14. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next week is shaping up for some, hopefully, good soccer. U20 to play France on Tuesday and then the mighty USNT plays next day. I have hopes we will see Sargent and some of the other youngsters. To bad Pomykal is playing for U20, he is looking good.

I would still like to see Nagbe get a second chance, but have little hopes of this actually happening. But I am sure we will see MikeB and WillT in midfield positions. I would prefer not to see Jozy, but think he will also be a starter. I hope we can look like a composed team to lead us into the Gold Cup.

wixson7 repped this.
  15. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the USA plays against France as poorly as it did against Qatar, it could easily turn into Norway vs Honduras 2.0.

16. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does 3G go with his A team for this game or will he experiment with the bubble players or will he mix them

17. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF doesn't care about the fanbase. As long as they can charge as much money as possible, that's fine and dandy for them.

18. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd guess that he mixes some players in. He's doing that combined U23 camp at the moment, it wouldn't surprise me if gives some of those players a cap before sending them on their way

19. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with your assessment of the Qatar game, but I thought they played very well in their first two games.

I am hoping he gives some of the younger guys, not only the experience, but a chance to prove they are just as viable as some of the older guys...who shall not be named. However, since this game is basically a warm-up for the Gold Cup, I expect we will see the same old line-up, (now they can be named) including MikeB, WillT, Jozy, and perhaps Omar.

20. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston, MA USA
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The death of hope.

21. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please. Maybe we have not played that well but there is zero chance France beats us anything close to 12-0.

btlove repped this.
  23. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ngabe has had a lot more than second chances already. He just does what he does. Runs around with some good ball control then gets in the final third and thinks he's playing some other sport.

Patrick167 repped this.
  24. nikeboots

nikeboots Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Ohio/Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    28 man roster for the Jamaica game

GOALKEEPERS (3): Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 7/0), Tyler Miller (LAFC; 0/0), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC;
    8/0)

DEFENDERS (9): Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur/ENG; 7/0), Omar Gonzalez (Club Atlas/MEX; 49/3), Nick
    Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 2/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 5/0), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact/CAN; 3/0), Matt
    Miazga (Chelsea/ENG; 12/1), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 28/1), Antonee Robinson (Everton/ENG; 6/0), Walker Zimmerman
    (LAFC; 6/2)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 145/17), Duane Holmes (Derby County/ENG; 0/0), Sebastian Lletget
    (LA Galaxy; 9/2), Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 8/1), Djordje Mihailovic (Chicago Fire; 2/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle
    Sounders FC; 9/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 15/0); Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 0/0)*

FORWARDS (8): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN; 110/41), Jonathan Amon (Nordsjælland/DEN; 1/0), Paul Arriola (D.C.
    United; 19/3), Tyler Boyd (Vitória Guimãres/POR; 0/0), Joe Gyau (Duisburg/GER; 2/0), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC;
    27/5), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 6/2), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 44/7)

Dr. Gamera, wixson7, schrutebuck and 3 others repped this.
  25. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Egg should be fired.

TimB4Last repped this.