Pre-match: International Friendly: USA vs Costa Rica: February 1st

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    International Friendly
    USA vs Costa Rica
    February 1st, 2020
    Dignity Health Sports Park
    Carson, California
    4 PM (ET)
    ESPNNews, UniMas, and TDUN

2. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US will also be holding a camp in Qatar from January 5th -25th with some closed door friendlies, before returning home for this

With the camp slated to start this weekend I assume we'll get a call up list quite soon (though there may be some small differences between the team that travels to the camp and plays in the game).

Iceland, Canada, and El Salvador are also having camps in The US. I'm curious to see if we schedule a 2nd game.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Squad will actually be out today

Pl@ymaker, Winoman and largegarlic repped this.
  4. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cant wait to see our guys in action again- out of season, fresh off a 16 hour flight- its gonna be electric!

largegarlic repped this.
  5. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have a week in between the end of camp and the game....

superdave and TimB4Last repped this.
  6. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am planning to attend.

kba4life1, largegarlic and Sebsasour repped this.
  7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Then I guess he'll have to wait.

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://sports.yahoo.com/usmnt-will...-for-its-january-training-camp-185958977.html

Here’s the full squad:

• Goalkeepers: Sean Johnson, New York City FC; Bill Hamid, D.C. United; JT Marcinkowski, San Jose Earthquakes; Matt Turner, New England Revolution

• Defenders: : Julian Araujo, LA Galaxy; Reggie Cannon, FC Dallas; Chase Gasper, Minnesota United; Justen Glad, Real Salt Lake; Aaron Long, New York Red Bulls; Mark McKenzie, Philadelphia Union; Sam Vines, Colorado Rapids; Walker Zimmerman (Los Angles FC)

• Midfielders: Brenden Aaronson, Philadelphia Union; Christian Cappis, Hobro (Denmark); Bryang Kayo, Unattached; Sebastian Lletget, LA Galaxy; Paxton Pomykal, FC Dallas; Cristian Roldan, Seattle Sounders; Jackson Yueill, San Jose Earthquakes
    • Forwards: Paul Arriola, D.C. United; Jesus Ferreira, FC Dallas; Jonathan Lewis, Colorado Rapids; Ulysses Llanez, Wolfsburg (Germany): Jordan Morris, Seattle Sounders; Gyasi Zardes, Columbus Crew

wixson7, Girt, gunnerfan7 and 6 others repped this.
  9. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Interesting roster for sure. Some missing names makes for a late Christmas present for many here.

largegarlic repped this.
  10. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting add https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryang_Kayo

Surprised we aren't seeing other Scandinavian guys.

This is interesting too:

ChrisSSBB, TimB4Last and largegarlic repped this.
  11. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    It is an interesting roster. Some thoughts:

--It's not a huge deal for me, but I'd rather see Jesse Gonzalez than Johnson or Hamid. I don't really think any of them have a good chance of playing a big role for the USMNT, but if they're all equally mediocre, I'd go with the guy several years younger.

--Does the inclusion of Cannon and Long mean they're unlikely to be making a move to Europe this window?

--It's weird that Cappis is here, but not Sabbi. Does this mean Sabbi is on the move to a league that's still playing, or is he just not rated?

--I'm happy to see Llanez in camp, but this likely means he's not in Wolfsburg's 1st team plans for this season, if he wasn't brought into the 1st team training over winter break.

--Is there not going to be a separate U-23 camp? It seems like this is a half-and-half roster with some guys having legit shots at the full national team and other more realistic candidates for the U-23s.

Pl@ymaker, TimB4Last and mike4066 repped this.
  12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feelings are mixed about that roster.

Negatives: 1. Where's Lima? On the move already?, 2. Hollingshead is a glaring omission. Way better than Vines. I guess he's a u23 but still, 3. c-blocking Canouse, that's over-dedication to Gregg's suspect system, 4. even if Toye and Mueller are borderline on qualification gotta take shot on talent, 5. Sapong and Opara would have provided vet leadership and could back door usefulness, 6. Ebobisse would potentially help both teams, 7. Corona deserved another shot, 8. was Amon and Parks available?, 9. Don't get fascination w/ McKenzie (really weak back line, especially if Long and/or Cannon leaves mid-camp)

Positives: 1. ingratiating Araujo and banking on talent, 2. kicking tires on Llanez, 3. no Lovitz or a bunch of unsavories, 4. Cappis compared to MLS contemporaries, 5. working Ferreira in quick, 6. Gaspar is worth a shot at lb, 7. Aaronson and Pomykal have starter potential as a-mids, 8. Turner should get both games in net imo to see if he's maybe better than Steffen or Horvath

13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the first time I can recall releases being denied from an MLS team for January camp. Atlanta has been good for the league but bad for the USNT. Robinson was one of the key integrations.

14. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Assuming Miles Robinson is injured still?

Edit nevermind.

15. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I thought I remember this happening last year too? Or maybe some clubs were just making noise about having to give up their players while trying to prep for CCL?

16. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    That may be but I'm happy missing out on Robinson for now if it avoids guzan and Lennon.

17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Dallas did it a couple years ago for the same reason Atlanta is. I'm OK with it because those players will be playing some high profile games with their club teams. Still plenty of time to bring them in later and by not being there some others get a chance to be seen.

tomásbernal repped this.
  18. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That squad is way more adventurous than I thought it'd be so that's cool. I still don't expect a ton of new blood in the XI though (I hope there is though(

I'd guess that Zardes starts up top with Arriola and Morris on the wings. I expect you'll see Lletget at the 10 with Yueill and either Roldan or Pomykal behind him.

Cannon, Zimm and Long seem like locks for the backline, and I guess Gasper gets the start at LB since Gregg called up to that tuneup camp before Canada (but who knows?)

I assume it'll be either Hamid or Johnson in goal.

That'll leave room for some tolken first caps off the bench though.

TrueCrew repped this.
  19. maroonlaw

maroonlaw Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Any word on if Trapp is injured or dropped?

20. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I'm hesitant to fully buy into this myself, but I think he could be dropped at this point. It was clear by the fall that Berhalter had him behind Bradley and Yueill on the DM depth chart. Now it seems as if he's curious to see if Cappis can be a younger option for that role.

wixson7, tomásbernal and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're probably right but this gives all the new callups a chance to knock off someone ahead of them. Can Pomykal knock out Roldan? If given an opportunity at the same spot maybe although he and Aaronsone may fight it out with Lletget for the more attacking mid spot while Cappis may fight for the 8/10 spot and the 6/8 spot. Midfield free for all!

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm fine with Canada. I wonder if any Asians will be here, like China, Korea, Japan? In the past I think they were around. One of my favorite games was @ Chile under Klinsi. I don't suppose we'd travel. It's nice down there that time of year.

23. OlympiquedeMarseille

Apr 18, 2012
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I highly doubt that Canada will play the US. The Canada camp is from January 4th to January 16th 2020.
    http://canadasoccer.com/?t=project&sid=1320
    The USA will still be in Qatar.

Sebsasour and Excellency repped this.
  24. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm happy to know that the absence of Robinson wasn't Berhalter's decision.

yurch10 and mike4066 repped this.
  25. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    doesnt cananda have to hide from friendlies to keep their miniscule chances at the hex alive?

wixson7 and tomásbernal repped this.