Pre-match: International Friendly: USA vs Brazil; September 2018

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jun 23, 2018.

1. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes.

but i'm more worried about the us winning and that being the reason sarachan is hired....

reading earnie's recent comments about dave being "excellent"...im thinking sarachan has a legit shot at the full-time gig (which is insane...but par for the ussf course).

laxcoach repped this.
  2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is very true, and I would think that a lot of children still adhere to this, but the problem is in a place where schools are combining to make more and save more, sports really takes a hit. Where you could have had 2 teams of 15 now you have one team of 20, and those other 10 well they might be late bloomers and just quit school soccer, so that leaves rec leagues which is where the cost comes in.

I think without really trying to derail the thread (apologies) that CTE opened a lot of eyes for football and I think over the next 5 years a lot of players who would have played football will be heavily involved in other sports. Baseball is really making a lot of in roads with the grassroots/youth movements and getting players coming in. Rob Manfred has done a really good job building that up and investing a lot of money. Basketball is actually sliding down too, because of the AAU scandals a lot of parents will be put off playing the summer circuits and with Fifa and eSports continuing to gain popularity, you could see a really big revival in youth sports, but not if parents have to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for a rec league coach who is usually not trained (another problem). I mean there are loads of middle school coaches who just do it because they are a parent, and have no real idea of what to do.

So will the USSF begin to really pump money into U-6 through U-14 I don't know but they really should.

Bringing that back into the thread though, a lot of children in Central America do play in the streets, but they have a lot more intensive scouting than we do. While it might be Jim's uncle telling Carl who tells Sam who tells a friend in the Fed, someone gets out and sees these players and they get better coaching, and involved in the youth teams, Brazil is a good example as is Argentina. Children here usually just play for fun and if they show talent, if they don't move to a bigger team they get next to no attention. I really hope Earnie implements a way better scouting network, but I just don't see it happening yet and thats a shame as that should have been the first thing (since there have been no interviews or anything related to coaching).

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We just used the neighbors' cars as goalposts. The problem was having to stop every time a car came by.

5. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
  6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Looks an OK lineup, but Neymar will roast Yedlin if the two are isolated. Hopefully, Arriola provides plenty of cover. Also not sure about Green's defense. We'll see how much progress he has made.

7. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha...of all things to worry about...green's defense is like waaaay down my list re: this game...funny to see someone point that out as important.

TOAzer repped this.
  8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I edited my post. But, yeah, defending in the forward zones is pretty important when facing Brazil.

9. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I am worried about that zone right in front of Brooks and Miazga. Seems like a much more dangerous area to me.

10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    we should probably head over to the pbp thread..... here is what we are facing....

1038182660659707904 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman repped this.
  11. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I just wanted to say as a RBNY, I am happy with the 3 call-ups and they are what I envisioned MLS being when it started up. I wish more clubs would use the Youth and USL system like that. By this I mean look at the 3 red bulls

Long - 2nd round pick from college as a DM. Didn't get playtime with Portland or two loan spells and looked not good enough. Then is a FA signing for Seattle 2 and is moved to CD and does well but not enough to get a new contract. Ends up at RBNY 2 plays well and works his way from there to RBNY 1st and now a Nats Call-up (And All-Star). Likely an MLS lifer.

Parker - A stud from college, 1st round pick, then stud at Vancouver, traded to RBNY, still a stud. Gets Nats call-up and in the final year of his contract, he will probably sign on for another season or two but I can see him moving to England Championship or bottom level EPL club.

Adams - Kid was always destined for this. He took every chance and had the talent to match.

I don't want to be Bruce and want a mostly MLS USMNT, I think from player 1-15 should be Europe and 15-23 should be where we draw from for MLS, if we are talking WC.

TimB4Last and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Big test for Trapp, who did well against France.

13. 21st Century Pele

Apr 16, 2014
    Julian Green - The Freddy Adu of this generation.

Deadtigers repped this.