[International Friendly] Korea vs Spain 2016/06/01 [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Jun 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brood915

brood915 Member+

Oct 14, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  2. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    LJS can't play as CF & Ji DW was good vs Spain.

As for KSG, again.. no. His highlight for KNT was against 10 men Belgium in WC (KOR lost 1-0). Played some pathetic Asian opposition afterwards without ever convincing to be clear #1 for Korea. We're talking decent shot stopper but with poor handle of the box. He barely leaves 5 yrd from the post... some of the goals he leaked in set-piece & etc is embarrassing in J-league. Also, he has his butter finger moments too.. along with questionable parries when he makes a save.

3. brood915

brood915 Member+

Oct 14, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Still better than other options. I dont know what you saw yesterday, but no, JDW wasnt good vs spain yesterday.

4. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    JDW was good playing a ghost. Thats what he was, a ghost. Very good performance i have to admit.

brood915 repped this.
  5. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO

He is no good at shooting, at all.

chook90 repped this.
  6. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014

Really? They all (except maybe Ki or LeeCY) seem to fold easily under pressure and give up the ball either through poor dribbling or passing.

7. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    This shows the great side of Stielike. He got the analyzing skills to be self critical and has got the balls to speak about the problems of not only the KNT but also the whole Korean football system. AT LEAST HE DOES CARE about our team unlike many managers before. Great coach in my opinion, with a tactician like STY when he comes back I am more than content. It's the players that are bad and not the manager. And again, we just don't have many alternatives. But he should encourage his players to move to Europe more often than having good luxury life in China or ME club.

DrJinh007, edlee1992 and brood915 repped this.
  8. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Too often, many of you compare KNT to other top national teams or players. That's unfair..
    Again, not top class compared to teams like Spain but can definitely hold its own against teams like England (if not better in basics). Also, it is KNT & you support KNT... supporters/fans are much more critical & harsh on their own team/players.

9. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    Well they're on to us regardless and something needs to be addressed here. I'm seeing more and more high press and it's no mistake.

10. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

It's the modern game.. high press & compact midfield. This isn't "they are on to us" moment..

Marco91 and wetcrispy repped this.
  11. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
  12. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    Oh right because teams don't scout and we don't have a problem according to you.

What bubble do some of u blowhards live in anyway ?

13. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Of course they do... but.. everyone does the "high press" w/ compact midfield these days.

14. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    http://sports.media.daum.net/sports/soccer/newsview?newsId=20160603060218075

This is just one point... but byungshin saeki's are stuck on the hating on foreign based players BS. This stomach aching jealousy BS has been around ever since Cha BK first went to Germany and it pollutes any chance for real objective analysis is exactly the reason why the K-League is in such introspective, backwards, cesspool states and any real youth talent has to be sent overseas ASAP and for as long as possible for them to have any real chance of reaching WC let alone worldclass level. Frankly Stielicker has a lot to prove but articles and attitudes like this proves him right.

Even Son or Ki on their worse day show far better movement, composure, passing, etc. than K-league try-outs. Sad on many levels but it's the truth. There's a reason why Lee Donguo is awesome in K-League. It's not bc Lee Dongguo is awesome.

15. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    Bring foreign coaches in the K league...how the hell a player is going to improve, if every team plays in the same way?

chook90 and nmssis repped this.
  16. gunitinug

gunitinug Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    spain lost to georgia 1-0

this shows it is unrealistic to play 'clean football'

anti-football is an integral part of the game

by this logic, although we played messy football against czech i would say we played 'better' football than against spain, simply because we won the match.

17. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    not anti-football. counter attacking football

18. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
  19. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    [​IMG]

he just went up my list of knt candidates

chook90 and killaorca repped this.
  20. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    How the hell did Georgia beat Spain but we lost 6-1???
    I guess Georgia has better players than us :cry::rolleyes:;)

chook90 and skimmilk repped this.
  21. Rob_Brighton

Rob_Brighton Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    It's simple. Less than one week before the start of a major tournament, nobody wants to give an extremely hard match, because if they do, they will be in big trouble midway through the tournament. Your body feels the effects particularly after the second or third match if you have given hard efforts for several weeks. Ideally, you would only exert yourself at the level of around 70-85 percent, so that while you can maintain sharpness and aren't flat for the first match, you can avoid making post-match recovery difficult so that you are already at a disadvantage compared to opponents. Believe me, and experienced manager like Del Bosque knows what he's doing here.

The right amount of physical exertion and allowing to keep the relevant muscle memory is key here. Not the match result at all!

aeh1991 and killaorca repped this.
  22. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Wow thanks for the insight, you sure must be a fitness/physiology expert ;)

Hodori repped this.
  23. Bom23

Bom23 Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Here's what I see in Stielike:

As a tactician, he is lacking. In-game, he makes baffling substitutions and poor tactical adjustments. Asian Cup final and recent friendlies come to mind. The players are confused on their roles defensively. He has a good eye for potential but is way too prone to favoritism towards undeserving players. Probably watches too much Middle East and China footie too.

Despite these shortcomings, I think Stielike has something that most of you guys don't: a long term view for how he wants this team to play. So many of you are hung up on "anti-football," "counter-attack football," and all this crap when playing against top teams. You guys attribute Stielike's approach against Spain to tactical inflexibility. You have to realize that the time Stielike has with his players is extremely short. Bruce Lee said that he fears more the man who practices one kick a thousand times then the man who practices a thousand kicks once. Similarly, it's important for Stielike to forge a playing identity for Korea and really master one style of playing rather than half-assing many types of approaches. The Spain game was a good learning experience for our guys because we tried to play with them toe-to-toe in a match where the results didn't matter. What sort of value can we derive from parking the bus against Spain and hoping to get lucky on the counter when ultimately our goal is to be playing an possession-based attacking brand of football in WC 2018 and beyond?

I don't have an issue with those of you that believe Korea would be better suited to be a counter-attacking side rather than a possession based side. There are merits to both sides of the argument. The point is, for the long term view, we need to commit to one type of play and build towards that goal and Stielike understands that. We've made progress under him, despite the scoreline against Spain and we need to keep the faith! A few players back from injury and many more getting more PT and I think KNT can compete at the WC. Maybe when the stakes are high and results actually matter, Stielike might do something drastic and park the bus against Germany or something. But that would be extremely pointless to do in a friendly and I laud Stielike for prioritizing teamplay and long term vision over immediate results.

24. Rob_Brighton

Rob_Brighton Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Great post overall, and I think that it represents his thinking. He must have been able to forecast a mediocre performance from Ki and Son, but if you are planning on playing these players in the qualifiers, the compromise may well be worth the risk.

As for the formation he used and the attacking tactic, it was not a bad idea considering the following:
    1) Spain was missing all their Athletico and Real players
    2) When having weak defenders or players who haven't played together for a long time, it is probably a far bigger risk to park the bus. There are not many national sides that can do this well unless they have had lots of practice time and lots of drills. Given the fact that this team is composed of players scattered around the globe, and that they don't have so much practice time at Paju, this would not be practical. When you park the bus, everyone must be concentrated and ready at all times; and the weakest link determines the result.
    3) If you attack with a high line, you effectively make the pitch smaller, and allows you win balls in the middle of the pitch, somewhat offsetting the superior ability of Spain to play their possession style. It also doesn't saves your attacking players from running too far to track back, and this is important if these players are lacking fitness, as we know.
    4) If you can win balls in the opponent's half and in the middle of the pitch, you have effectively protected your defense while providing more chances to your offense to create danger in your opponent's half. If your players are playing deeper against an opponent such as Spain, they must have the necessary precision in their passing to connect multiple passes to advance the ball into their half, which is difficult to do.

25. Rob_Brighton

Rob_Brighton Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    #475 Rob_Brighton, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    Would you include Son Heung-min and Ki Sung-yong in this list of undeserving players? Based on the performances, I don't see how Son deserved to start either of these matches, as he was by far the worst player in both matches.

Would you call Yoon Bitgaram an undeserving player?

I don't think Stielike has complete freedom to select his sides. Based on what past managers have said, the KFA often imposes demands that the managers don't support.

I think the fact that Ahn Junghwan was included in the World Cup 2010 side when he was nowhere near the required level of fitness is one notable example of when the KFA dictated in such a manner.

I would say that the inclusion of a few of these Europe-based players such as Son and Ki was probably the KFA's idea.

Chingoo repped this.