[International Friendly] Korea vs Serbia 2017/11/14 [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Nov 13, 2017.

1. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Korea played well but the PK was BS.

msc43, LeeSeungWoo and jessypjs repped this.
  2. jessypjs

jessypjs Member+

May 3, 2010
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Agree ;)

3. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    A few days to get over the happiness of the last games against Colombia and Serbia and few thoughts come to mind.

1. Not enough. If you look at our goal, Son's first goal was somewhat lucky if not wily. It was the right decision bc we need Son to be aggressive and to look for those chances. Second goal was more of keeper error. The PK against Serbia was... yea it happens but we need fully formed actualize goals. Most of the shots on goal especially by Son were threatening but too direct and will be stopped all day long in Russia. We need more options up front other than just Son or even with Lee Keunho at his best and for that to happen we need more from midfield.

2. Defensive problems. Our central defense is a serious problem. At this point we need to make a pick and stick with them. We don't have time to play around with this anymore. Jang Hyunsoo has the right toolset but he has sports mental problems and I'm pretty sure he has a female reproductive organs. It's partly not his fault bc he's been too rattled by getting pwnd through Stielicke era. At this point though we just need to find 2 central defenders and give them the task, assign a defense coach and drill the hell out of them and let them learn through their mistakes. The midfield helping out shaky defense is taking away from our attack (see #1 above). This has been Shin Taeyoung's heel all his managerial career. TBH I don't see how he's going to fix this.

killaorca repped this.
  4. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Yeah we need another goal scoring offensive player that can play along Son.

The Hyphen repped this.
  5. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    #105 aeh1991, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    I am positive that STY can use Hwang Hee Chan effectively, at least better than Stielike or his first two games (Iran/Uzbekistan).

Testator repped this.
  6. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    It was a good choice to play Serbia- they are full of giants, and even though it was only a friendly, Korea looked OK. SHM does need a tall partner who is brave and hard-working, when the opposition have strong aerial ability. Someone similar to...Mandžukić.

chook90 and nmssis repped this.
  7. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

Suk Hyun Jun!!!!

chook90 repped this.
  8. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    LDG

nmssis repped this.
  9. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    :ROFLMAO:

chook90 repped this.
  10. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Against tall and physical opponents it might be better to attack through pace and movement rather than height.

11. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    Yes, but I was referring to defense against such opponents.

12. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Suk HJ is probably the closest we have to Mandzukic (except Mandzukic is an exceptional talent, Suk is not).

LKH worked well with SHM. Why not continue to build on that? Have Hwang HC also play the LKH role in that 4-4-2 formation.

Or maybe...LSW next to SHM? I don't know. I would be intrigued to see that and if it can be effective or not.

13. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    Mandžukić is all hard work, and little brains (he has gotten 3-4 red cards in his career on reckless moves alone). Compared to Kalinić or Kramarić, he hasn't got technical ability at all. Except maybe at heading. But even so, he's useful for crippling teams that play out from the back. SHJ has the build to act like Mandžukić, but seems not as brainless.

LKH is fine, but sometimes height does matter, at least on the defense. If the GK or the CB pairing were aerially dominant giants, things would be so much easier. If you countrol your own penalty box well, sitting deep and waiting for the counter is easy. It does make sense to play with 2 strikers, I agree with the formation.

14. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #114 toohyper, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Mandzukic is better than you give him credit for. Has absolutely knack for finishing, both in the air and with his feet. Absolutely dominates his opponents physically, and is a good dribbler for a guy his size.

Also unfair to call him "little brains". He's an intelligent player imo and his off the ball movements are great.

15. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    I have seen people in Croatian forums call him shit, and mainly because of his lack of technical ability. Realistically, he's good at scoring (usually tap-ins or lucky rebounds, but who cares), IF he doesn't drift out to the wing- which is a habit that lessens the amount of chances he has. But the reason why I rate him, is his defensive contribution. A guy with such qualities is never a wasted spot on the roster. Also- I've got a fetish for headed goals, as my avatar shows.
    :D
    SHJ needs merely to run, throw himself about, and enter aerial challenges fearlessly, and already he is a great partner to the somewhat lazy SHM.

toohyper repped this.
  16. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    If you Croatians don't want him, we will gladly take Mandzukic. You're right; he contributes defensively. He is very active for a guy his size and constantly tires out defenders both with his physicality and his ability to keep pressing/constant movements. Hard to find players like these. There is a reason why Juventus fancies the guy.

SHJ on the other hand does not have the workrate Mandzukic has nor the intelligence.

17. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    Some definitely don't want him- I think they're stupid.

SHJ must have at least more intelligence than Mandžukić. Now, I admit, the kind of lung capacity Mandžukić (and Olić!) have is hard to match, but having a striker interfere with opposition attempts to create attacks is so helpful for a counterattacking system- Korea must try it. It's not a coincidence Croatia played best when set up to counterattack- that happens against big teams.

18. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    1. Son isn't Lazy.
    2. Just have Hwang play beside him. He might not be as big as Suk but He's stronger and he can work harder.

19. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I agree, Son isn't lazy. But he doesn't have the best stamina in the world.

20. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Colombia... what the hell?

21. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    Because LKH is completely utterly hopeless in front of the net. He has done well I guess in these last two friendlies (not about to get excited about either tho...they're friendlies played at home ...again ) as support to Son but this type of scenario in a real game would get quickly snuffed out just out of pure predictability.

As orca pointed out above, son needs support who himself can be considered an actual threat to goal. Not someone who typical panics in front of the sticks.

Have yet to see LKH perform well in an actual game tho (aka not a friendly at home)

22. ConcernedK

ConcernedK Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Club:
    Busan I Park
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Compared to KSW, LJH and Ji, no.