International Champions Cup

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by hotjam2, Apr 12, 2018.

1. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    if anybody of our half dozen regulars cares to watch; very unusual game! the Courage had 39 shots vs 12 from the gun shy Man City, yet some how MC had 56% possession. With slightly over 5/6th over, the game was stopped at the 76th minute for encroaching thunderstorms, which took over an hour to clear. MC had the 1-0 lead at the time. With such a long delay, couldn't they of filed a complianed & say game over?(with them declared the winners)

anyways, if NC wants to win over Lyon,. they better start aiming their shots better!

blissett repped this.
  2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be entirely fair, this has been the story of NC ever since they moved down from WNY: "just pepper their goal with shots, don't worry about accuracy or possession, eventually one or two will go in".

Ethan Frank and blissett repped this.
  3. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    hmm.....sounds like Jill Ellis on steroids! lol. On paper, Lyon should be the much stronger team, but they got a new coach who pushed the mid.wides & full backs all the way up, snd to be honest. it even felt like the two CB's were occasionally trying to get a piece of the action during the run of play, leaving the back severly undefended. It was like the two fwds, Hegerberg & Le Sommer, barely got to see the ball as it was Majri(left-mid) taking most of the shots & Parris(right-mid) getting caught in a lot of offsides. But they got a very strong bench! obviously when they can bring in the likes of van de Sanden & Cascarino. NC might just need devine intervention once again(like a massive thunderstorm to gather themselves up when their down), though no problem in bible belt North Carolina(with a team headed by the most notorious christian of them all, Janine Hinkle).

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You should've seen the lineups last year

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Riley had to bunker last time, with an better lineup & home crowd, will he do it again?

6. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    That was neither 'home' nor a 'crowd' :confused:

[​IMG] [​IMG] The final is scheduled for Sunday 7pm ET / 23:00 GMT, with the 3rd-place game 2 hours earlier.

Is this a common spelling? If someone says "football" and doesn't mean the men's NFL, their words must be rendered in another language? (From WRAL)
    Jessica McDonald added, “Just seeing all the opportunities that we get to have as female fútbol players is an incredible thing because we are a part of this huge movement. Something historic. Now we get to carry that over with our club.”
    @FanOfFutbol, please help / ayúdame por favor

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Futbol is a common usage for soccer in Spanish. Also it is in more or less common usage with the same meaning in many other "Romance" languages but it is less common than saying Football. I have noted that I have heard it mostly in areas that have a large overlap with Spanish and English speakers that are also heavily influenced by the presence of American football.

My somewhat educated guess is that it has come to be more common to differentiate it from other sports that my be being discussed. There are many parts of the US where even Spanish speakers can be confused by using the word football for both soccer and American football. "Futbol" has become a common way for many to avoid that confusion.

Personally I dislike the word "soccer" even though it was the name given to the sport by my ancestors from England. Yes folks, no matter what the Eurosnobs want to believe, "soccer" as a word has its origins and first usage in England.

I hope that answers, at least mostly, the question that was asked but I was a bit unsure what was really being asked. At over 71 years old I get pretty easily confused.

BTW: I wish that futbol would become the default word to mean the sport we love. It really has no sound alike word in any language that I have heard that would cause confusion in sports discussions except "futsal" and the "s" sound makes that pretty distinctive.

Lechus7, blissett and sbahnhof repped this.
  8. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    It totally does, thank you! I was curious about an English-language site using a Spanish loan word that Spanish had originally loaned from English, and :confused: But I'm glad we have so many names for football/fútbol/soccer/calcio. Keeps it interesting..

blissett repped this.
  9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I much prefer "futbol" to "soccer." Although interestingly, in France this summer if I used the term "futbol," a number of Europeans asked whether I was referring to American football or futbol futbol.

blissett repped this.
  10. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well there's no accounting for those Frenchmen. ;) I have even had them correct my English grammar by saying that what I said was wrong in French so it must be wrong in English as well.

Is there not a law in France that makes it illegal to teach a child any language besides French before the age of 10 so they will have a "proper" French accent?

blissett repped this.
  11. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    I think that law would be illegal under EU law, or so Trinity College Law Review implies. But this should probably be in BigSoccer's French linguistics section.

So, Lyon are in the final...... How's that going to go? :coffee:

12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I guess "calcio" is only used in Italy (and in the few Italian-speaking countries, as the south of Switzerland). Not sure if you're aware, but "calcio" just translates from Italian as... "kick". :)

JanBalk repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, as much as I am interested in linguistics discussion (and whoever knows me is aware that I really am!) I would also like to read some on-topic stuff here! :laugh:

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Tight game between NC and OL again - these two teams need to play against each other more, and I can't wait for the ICC to expand to include a second NWSL team. Really tough loss for AtlMadrid, sounds like ManCity stole the match and were just way more efficient.

flax and blissett repped this.
  15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Good pre-season result for Lyon just a week before the season starts. I guess they are in better shape and sharper in front of the goal than last year as they were barely a week into their pre-season.

Same as last year, it does not mean that they are the best team in the world as Courage were not last year, despite what I can read online....

blissett repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    One thing I certainly like about the ICC so far is that, out of eight games played to date, seven of them have been decided by a single goal. Been a good level of competition between the participants each year, each match. I hope we can preserve that competitiveness as the tournament expands.

blissett repped this.
  17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Curious to see if they expand to 8 or go as high as 16 which would be too much imo.

L'orange and blissett repped this.
  18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    They reportedly have enough interest for 16 (I'd certainly believe it) but I'd worry about the logistics of that... You'd need at least 4 host cities unless you want to do double-headers with the men's ICC since I doubt women's ICC matches will draw crowds without a local NWSL team involved, and you'd need at least three matchdays (if you match the men's ICC format) or more (if you try keeping it knockout-tournament-ish).

19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Whatever they do, I hope they show some respect for Asian clubs. In the past, Japanese and South Korean Champions (winners of the two leagues that are arguably the most competitive in the continent, apart from the Asian-not-Asian Aussie League) often clashed in a single match to determine a "sort of" unofficial Asian Champion.

Even with just 8 teams, I guess at least one Asian club would be due.

L'orange repped this.
  20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Maybe? Based on the chatter being held, that Asian club looks more likely to be from Australia than from a more traditional Asian country. Also, you could argue for the South American champions (Sao Paulo did win the last mobcast/Nestle cup) or for a second NWSL team. 2 NWSL + 1 Asia + 1 S.Amer in a tournament of 8 leaves only 4 more spots for UEFA teams, up just 1 from the 3 they currently have, and I doubt that's gonna fly. ICC is dominated by UEFA teams, and I'd bet they feel UEFA teams are more marketable than those of roughly equal strength from elsewhere.

Honestly, as long as we have at least 5 countries represented in an 8-team tournament, I'll be happy.

21. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Why and when did Lyon sign Alex Greenwood

22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    After Caro Simon signed with Bayern Munich a few weeks back

23. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I thought Simon's move was reported after the Man Utd Women Twitter account posted about an agreement being reached. Going after Greenwood may have been because Lyon knew Simon would be leaving the club though.

24. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    When: According to the official Man Utd Women Twitter account, the move was completed on August 9, and an agreement had been reached by August 4.

Why: Maybe to have a solid back up left back or to allow the option of playing Majri further up the pitch with Greenwood on the backline. I don't know whether Lyon went after Greenwood knowing Simon would be leaving or Simon leaving was prompted by the Greenwood acquisition.

25. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Lyon have been trying for more than a year and a half. They seem not to be happy with Simon and Bacha is still 20 and not ready yet to be the number 1 left-back.

blissett repped this.