Interference with an opponent and resetting OS

Discussion in 'Referee' started by socal lurker, Jul 17, 2019.

1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    This is really aimed at those who have access to top level instruction. Is there clear current instruction on when OS resets in the context of challenging an opponent as opposed to interfering with play?

We know that any deliberate attempt to play that ball that includes contact with the ball fully resets OS if the attacker then gets the ball.

I have seen suggestions--but nothing authoritative--that where a defender collects the ball and is immediately challenged by an opponent who was in OSP at the time the ball had been played by a teammate, the opponent should still be called for OS as the defender did not have time to do anything with the ball. While this was clearly the teaching in the US a number of years ago, I have trouble squaring it with the language of Law 11 and the very-generous-to-attackers interpretation when in the context of the OSP attacker getting the ball.

So what is being taught on this at the top levels with the hope that it will eventually trickle down to us hoi poloi?

(I'm hoping that @coreyrock will be able to weigh in with what PRO is teaching, but very interested in hearing from all of those further up the food chain than I am or ever will be.)

2. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    I am not one of those privileged few who actually knows the answer, but here is what my logic tells me.

We know that if the defender deliberately attempts to play the ball and shanks it and it goes to a player in OSP, no Offside and play on.

So therefore, if the defender deliberately plays the ball (and does not lose it) and a least a second later, the player in OSP steals it (or otherwise becomes involved in play), same logic says no Offside. It would appear the ruling factor is the defender playing the ball, not what they do with it.

Now, if it was LESS than a second, a ref "full of the spirit of the game", might decide to call Offside, but I suspect that would not be technically accurate.

Scrabbleship repped this.
  3. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not seen any training specific to it, but this is what I have been instructed by National Coaches recently.

Everything is to be interpreted depending on the level of play. In the pro leagues USL Championship and above, the attacker would have to be within a few feet of the defender and clearly attempting to interfere with the defender. As in a split second before making contact with the defender. At this level it is expected that the defender should be able to hold his own.
    It is a sliding scale for lower levels. In your typical local youth league or a low lever amateur match, I wouldn't be surprised to see a offside called on the attacker just by running toward the defender that is about to receive the ball.

Scrabbleship and frankieboylampard repped this.
  4. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018
    I too am very interested in this discussion. At this early stage, I am liking tomek75 logic.