Interference by substitute

Discussion in 'Referee' started by socal lurker, Oct 15, 2017.

1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Throw in. Ball barely comes in, and is rolling down line. While part of the ball is over part of the line, a sub helpfully grabs the ball and tosses to a teammate for the new TI. Under the amendments over the last couple of years, with recent changes, is this a DB or a FK?

2. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    DFK would be the answer.

Here is the appropriate text from Law 3 regarding interference by a substitute in this case.

3. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I once had this happen with a sub who was on a yellow. He caught the ball clearly in the FOP. I did not 2ct.

4. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I know this isn't very useful but there was a clip I saw making its rounds with this situation. In this particular situation a substitute warming up next to the corner flag and goal line stops a ball that was obviously on the goal line and inside the line that defines the FoP and penalty area. The referee calls a PK and gives a caution.

5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    :( Bad Ref. As I was setting up the DB, that nagging thought--"wait, was that part of that change?!?" *sigh*

6. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember many, many years ago with a u12 game. The ball is rolling down the touchline. The helpful coach picks it up. We didn't give yellow cards to coaches then, and I don't remember if I gave him one. If he doesn't know he can't touch a ball on the line, he couldn't know the proper restart. In the spirit of the game, I had a little talk with him and gave a free kick.

dadman repped this.
  7. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    I was reffing one of my daughter's U10 games years ago (assigned ref didn't show up) and this happened. One of the girls picked up the ball. I gave her a tongue-lashing by name, maybe a bit too harshly. Then restarted with a dropped ball.

That was before all these new-fangled changes that make indirect things direct, turn drop balls into free kicks, consider non-players equivalent to players, etc.

8. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    This is the reason I'm doing as well as I think I am. I come here to learn THIS kind of stuff.

dadman, RefLI and voiceoflg repped this.