Interesting Maurice Ross revelations

Discussion in 'China' started by shanghai_ultra, Feb 11, 2011.

1. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

Chengb & Co Sports Daily: "Per esteemed Chinese soccer blogging observer Shanghai_ultra, 'I'm pretty sure no-one in the CSL takes an airgun to training with them - ala Ashley Cole.' This shows, once and for all, in comparison to the EPL, CSL players lack professionalism and don't take their training seriously enough."

2. shanghai_ultra

Mar 29, 2006
    Shanghai
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Lol. This is some funny stuff guys. Keep it up.

Check out this guardian poll:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/poll/2011/feb/28/air-gun-work-ashley-cole

3. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Right, we should all just go back to slagging off Milu, sorry teamdragon, I forgot that's what this board was supposed to be about.

I'm no fan of Ross and much of the anger that came out of his statement is obviously based on sour grapes, but the heart of what he is saying, lazy training habits, players (and owners) picking the side, and an overall lack of professionalism is an obvious problem to any longterm observer of the CSL. In a lot of ways the "revolution" that took place in the EPL and Euro football as a whole in the mid-late 90s of eating right, scientific training, not staying out until 4 am and then arriving at practice late, stoned, drunk or all 3 has never come to the CSL. It's been discussed a lot on here and is why young, talented players who stay around the CSL tend not to reach their potential.

I didn't start this discussion and only pointed out an article I found interesting that confirmed some of what Ross was saying. However, it's pretty stupid to ignore this or think that having this kind of discussion cannot help Chinese football. As players go overseas to play, especially with players more regularly going to Asian competition which China still hasn't completely lost hopes of catching (ie the K-League), their impressions on the differences between those leagues and the CSL will hopefully push people in the CSL and CFA (including your hero Wei Di) to do more to promote professionalism and discipline in the Chinese game.

4. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

Hey don't blame me if he sleeps late and has the tendency to slack off in training. EPL coaches don't do that. :D

To make it easier for you to remember next time, Chengb, this board is about everything and nothing.

I've always championed promoting more professionalism and discipline in the Chinese game. But negative blanket statements like those you so like to perpetuate not only doesn't help in that endeavor it could hurt.