Interesting Maurice Ross revelations

Discussion in 'China' started by shanghai_ultra, Feb 11, 2011.

1. shanghai_ultra

Mar 29, 2006
    Shanghai
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  2. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

LOL, don't forget to mention Modern Lei Feng AKA Chengb has inside info about how Liu Xiang's performance is due to "chemical enhancement." So much for credibility and insight, or the lack of either.

And about Marice Ross, did he detail how exactly Guo An was unprofessional?

3. shanghai_ultra

Mar 29, 2006
    Shanghai
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    He basically says some players are overweight, dont bother showing up for training and are miles behind Korean and Japanese players standards (hes using the ACL games as a comparision). I think most of us knew that already, but its a fairly shocking revelation to those not familiar with Chinese football.

Check out the links in the story which track to what he was reported to have said.

4. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Who was the Guo'an captain that helped pick the team? So by unprofessional they really do mean eating fatty foods, sleeping late, drinking too much...

5. shanghai_ultra

Mar 29, 2006
    Shanghai
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Anyways, its about time to start up the 2011 official thread, where is Greenlion?

6. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    feel free to make one when the season starts :)
    and last time i saw him posting in the china forum was during the asian cup 2011.
    bigsoccer china needs knowledgeable and high quality posters like him.

7. shanghai_ultra

Mar 29, 2006
    Shanghai
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Totally agree. He seems to disappear for long periods of time though. What's up Greenlion? Are you around?

8. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

Did he play for any Japanese or Korean team before?

Shhhh, or Marice Ross might hear you and start accusing him of being just another fat and lazy GuoAn lion.

9. shanghai_ultra

Mar 29, 2006
    Shanghai
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Teamdragon, I think Ross is comparing Guoan to the South korean and Japanese teams they faced in the Asian Champions League.

Much as its amusing for me personally as a Shenhua fan to see Guoan being panned like this by a former player, I think his criticisms would apply to any other CSL club.

10. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    And yet Guoan had a decent record against those clubs...It's definitely true of all sides in China (hell, it was true of most teams around the world up until 10-15 years ago), and you have to wonder how much of this isn't just sour grapes for a player who very obviously struggled to adjust to China, came in with a bad attitude (a number of players commented he came in with a chip on his shoulder as a "former Scottish national" and looked down on his teammates, failing even to make friends with the other laowais on the team), had a scrap with the law, and was pretty much left off the squad once the team realized he wasn't what they thought he was...

Xu Yunlong
    I'm guessing a lot of this had to do with the fact the coach was not fully in control and had no experience as a head coach before. I don't think that will be the case this year.

Dude, not sure why you have such a problem with me but whatever. If I said the sky was blue or grass is green, you'd question my "credibility and insight". Hilarious...There are reasons to be suspicious about Liu's achievement(s), whether you choose to ignore them is up to you...Or maybe if I start hating on every one of China's foreign coaches (especially the only one to have taken us to a World Cup), we can be best buddies...

11. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Scottish international. ;)

12. shanghai_ultra

Mar 29, 2006
    Shanghai
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Definately some sour grapes in there somewhere from Ross. At the end of the day its clear he did not play well enough himself, to make such criticisms of his team-mates.

As a Scottish person myself, I can also say that he only played for Scotland a dozen times, mostly in the Bertie Vogts era, commonly seen as the Scottish national teams most disasterous period in history. Journeyman player at best, seems he had the wrong attitude in China.

13. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

Are you crazy? We like you here. It's not a complete forum without you. :)

Case in point, grass being green analogous to Liu being chemically enhanced, thought provoking stuff. You are the only one around here capable of making insanity of this sort look like normal reasoning. :D

I don't hate on any coach because he is foreign or not foreign. I just don't go overboard giving credit to idiots like Milu when credit is due to Hao/Fan and Zhang's diplomacy, nor do I go out of my way like you do to defend foreign coaches like that blockhead Haan who was hired solely because of corruption.

14. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

I'm just trying to understand. If he hasn't played for those teams, how would he know there's not unprofessional lazy fatsos in those teams, and as such how could he really compare?

15. shanghai_ultra

Mar 29, 2006
    Shanghai
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I mean, he played against those teams for Guoan in the ACL, and thought their levels of fitness was much higher than his Guoan team-mates.

Right?

16. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

If he had limited his comments on the difference in levels of on-court fitness which he had direct knowledge of instead of professionalism which he did not, he'd have sounded less like a disgruntled former employee.

17. shanghai_ultra

Mar 29, 2006
    Shanghai
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    That's true. But isn't relative fitness levels closely related to professionalism? Is it unfair to suggest K-League and J-League teams are more professional than CSL teams? I don't have that information. As you may know, I've been a long-time defender of the CSL. It does have its positive points. But, it could certainly learn a lot from the Korean and Japanese leagues, at least, in the way they are run if not on the pitch.

Ross - he's definately a disgruntled employee... his performances were mediocre at best which undermines his complaints... he's not really in a position to criticise anyone at the end of the day.

18. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    the only information i heard about k-league's professionalism is when feng xiaoting and li weifeng mentioned they need to sleep early, and it is serious business that they must sleep early.

19. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
  20. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008
    ManU and EPL and prostitutes. Does that say much about how professional or not about that league? Maybe we should compare that with the American MLS and say the Americans are more professional than the English. LOL.

There are going to be this and that kind of problems in every league. Just deal with it. Somebody likes to smoke? Not sleeping early enough? Lacking physical training? Tell the coach. Tell the boss. Confront him. To use these problems to make comparison to other countries as a way to discredit your own leagues is simply stupid. A disgruntled former employee and a kid who is eager to play up his new trip abroad. Yeah, that's enough to make blanket statement about Chinese leagues. Right.

And how does making this kind of weird comparison or blanket statements help Chinese soccer? People who are eager to repeat this kind of idiotic blanket statements clearly don't have the best interest of Chinese soccer in mind.

21. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    ManU is not a team of prostitutes...

22. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    *kick Harry Redknapp in*

23. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008
    ...even though they have enough action to be mistaken for a brothel? :D

24. shanghai_ultra

Mar 29, 2006
    Shanghai
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    And I'm pretty sure no-one in the CSL takes an airgun to training with them - ala Ashley Cole. :D

25. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ready-set-aim

http://www.coleofduty.com/ :D