Interesting Best XI

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Excape Goat, Aug 30, 2005.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    We can make a Bolsonaro XI of this, lol

:laugh:

2. Xylophone

Xylophone Member

Fiorentina
    Sweden
    Jan 30, 2018
    LUXEMBOURG XI - Best foreigners (on paper, at least)

Michaël Clepkens (Belgium): Keeper who mostly played at lower league level in his country. Couldn't think of anyone better for this position.

Mamadou Tall (Burkina Faso): Actually a centre-back, but I was unable to find a left-back so he will have to make-shift in that role. Has played in multiple leagues, such as the Portuguese one, making 17 apps in Primeira Liga for U.D. Leira. Was a participant in 3 African Cup of Nations tournaments.

Roger Lutz (Germany): The former Kaiserslautern player is one of the most accomplished players on the team in terms of titles won. 2 Bundesliga victories & 2 DFB-Pokals to his name, although he appear to have been more of a squad player rather than an indispensible starter. Never capped for Germany.

Milan Biševac (Serbia): Has spent most of his career in France, playing for teams like PSG, Lyon & Valenciennes. If I'm not mistaken, he was one of the first signings made by the then-new PSG owners in 2011. 19 caps for Serbia, but the only tournament he was in was the 04 Olympics. Is currently playing for Dudelange in Luxembourg.

Quim Machado (Portugal): Right-back who had a fairly solid, yet unremarkable, career at home. Like so many others, played in Luxembourg towards the very end.

Dragoljub Brnović (Yugoslavia): He was one of the candidates for Team Sweden, but the competition here is way less so he makes the cut easily. The midfielder played all 4 games for Yugoslavia in the 1990 World Cup. In the late 80s, he left his home country to play for French club Metz (really close to Luxembourg, btw).

Youssef Mokhtari (Morocco): Highlight of his career was when he became joint-top scorer during the 2004 AFCON with 4 goals. Usually played for small clubs in various leagues, and never stayed for more than a few years in one place. Attacking midfielder.

Mustapha Hadji (Morocco): Can he and Mokhtari play in the same team? I would have wanted a defensive-minded option in midfield, but options are scarce. Anyway, Hadji probably needs no introduction. One of the best Moroccan players of all time. Moved to France at an early age, where he started his professional career in Nancy. Also played for teams such as Coventry & Sporting CP. Was quite productive even in Luxembourg, where he well over 30 when he arrived.

Florent Malouda (France): I think his resumé speaks for itself. 80 caps for France, over 100 apps for Lyon & Chelsea. Won multiple titles, amongst others the CL-trophy. Retired last year in Luxembourg, so I think some of you probably were aware where he last played, and did expect to see his name here.

Cyrille Pouget (France): Striker, although I'm a bit worried over his output. He didn't seem to score that many goals. Played for teams like Metz (of course), PSG & Marseille. Played for France 3 times in 1996.

Tony Vairelles (France): Had a much better career than Pouget, yet not that prolific either to be honest. Played for a large number of French clubs, including Nancy, Lens & Lyon. Was part of the 1996 Olympics squad. At senior international level, he scored once in 8 games.

Bench:

GK: Kévin Sommer (France) & Pedro Fernandes (Portugal)

LB: -

CB: Amadou Touré (Burkina Faso) & Jean-Philippe Caillet (France)

RB: Helton Dos Reis (France)

MF: Stélvio (Angola), Johanna Omolo (Kenya), Levan Kenia (Georgia) & Dieumerci Ndongala (DR Congo)

FW: Jonathan Jäger (France), Kevin Bobson (Netherlands) & Nélson Gama (Portugal)

Pouget - Vairelles
    Malouda (c) - Mokhtari - Brnović - Hadji
    Tall - Lutz - Biševac - Machado
    Clepkens​

NEXT UP: ISRAEL

Gregoriak repped this.
  3. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    From what I remember he actually put the line-up in a 4-2-3-1 formation I think (unless he changed his mind recently). Whether it was a FourFourTwo 'Perfect XI' or an XI broadcast on Sky or whatever is escaping me right now but I think I've heard or seen (probably it is seen in writing) his comments before.

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I did see the edition of One2Eleven by Sky, with Paul Gascoigne's chosen team on there recently for the first time (although it was picked 3 or 4 years ago now).

I think I'd think of Brian Laudrup as the best player he ever played with genuinely, but he does give him a complimentary honourable mention and I can see how he ended up picking Waddle/Beardsley/Lineker etc (those team-mates of his were actually not really showcasing their best form in the Italia 90 World Cup, even though England got to the semi-finals).

Mabbutt was perhaps the leftfield choice, but he says he partly picked him because he was so difficult to get past in training! I had the impression he'd be placing him on the right of the centre-back partnership rather than how this page presents it, not that it really matters anyway.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...s-his-one2eleven-on-the-fantasy-football-club

David Seaman; Gary Neville, Gary Mabbutt, Terry Butcher, Stuart Pearce; Bryan Robson; Chris Waddle, Peter Beardsley, John Barnes; Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer

HMs: B.Laudrup indeed and Tony Adams as mentioned on that page (although with Adams, Paul Merson actually prompted him so not 100% sure Gascoigne would have mentioned him otherwise), plus these others I remember he mentioned and not all/any get a mention on the page - Richard Gough, Des Walker, Paul Ince, Giussepe Signori….and Merson himself (mentioned originally when discussing not picking Arsenal player Adams, and then again when the Beardsley/Shearer/Lineker picks were made).

Gregoriak repped this.
  6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    A few 'My Perfect XI' selections I found in old issues of FourFourTwo
    (as well as Eusebio's which is available online anyway - Yashin; D.Santos, Beckenbauer, Germano, Schnellinger; Matthews, Didi, Charlton, Best; Pele, Di Stefano, subs: Gento, Puskas, and he mentions Facchetti and Rivera who he considers friends too but maybe that info is online also)

Trevor Brooking's XI:
    Peter Schmeichel (mentions Shilton, Clemence, Jennings);
    Carlos Alberto,
    Bobby Moore,
    Franz Beckenbauer,
    Roberto Carlos;
    George Best,
    Lothar Matthaus,
    Michel Platini,
    Johan Cruyff;
    Pele,
    Marco van Basten
    subs: Franco Baresi, Patrick Vieira, Diego Maradona

Ian Rush's XI:
    Neville Southall;
    Steve Nicol,
    Paul McGrath,
    Franco Baresi,
    Antonio Cabrini;
    Zico,
    Graeme Souness,
    Michel Platini;
    Diego Maradona;
    Kenny Dalglish,
    Marco van Basten

Didier Deschamps' XI:
    Fabien Barthez;
    Lilian Thuram,
    Franco Baresi,
    Marcel Desailly,
    Paolo Maldini;
    Ruud Gullit,
    Frank Rijkaard,
    Zinedine Zidane,
    Thierry Henry;
    Alessandro Del Piero,
    Raul
    subs: Kahn, Van Basten (cites injuries as keeping him out of first XI and mentions him in Rijkaard's write-up with the other Milan players from his time that he picked, while mentioning Desailly plus Savicevic and Weah as world-class players of the next Milan period), Vierchowod

Also I found various Fantasy Football teams in the same place!

This one I had picked in 2001/02 but must have realised I'd overspent by £0.2m so didn't send the form off (I may have entered anyway with another form or by phone) - shown in order of costliest price in the game that season:
    Teddy Sheringham (Tottenham), Robbie Keane (Leeds), Ian Harte (Leeds), Sami Hyypia (Liverpool), Robert Pires(Arsenal), Rio Ferdinand(Leeds), Fabian Barthez (Man Utd), Matt Jansen (Blackburn), Stephane Henchoz (Liverpool), Vladimir Smicer (Liverpool), Patrik Berger (Liverpool)

And for a version of the original game but with 3 Euro Strikers (I guess it means they scored points for Champions League goals) I had entered this team at the start of the previous season 2000/01 - again shown by cost but the Euro strikers must have been free and everyone picked their first choice 3 names I think:
    Eidur Gudjohnsen (Chelsea), Marian Pahars (Southampton), Patrik Berger (Liverpool), Muzzy Izzet (Leicester), Ian Harte (Leeds), Sylvinho (Arsenal), Darren Eadie (Leicester), Sami Hyypia (Liverpool), Ronny Johnsen (Man Utd), Mark Draper (Southampton), Nigel Martyn (Leeds)
    Euro strikers: Andriy Shevchenko, Raul, Rivaldo

La-Máquina and PuckVanHeel repped this.
  7. La-Máquina

La-Máquina BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    @PDG1978

Did you purchase this magazine this year by any chance? I got myself a copy.

[​IMG]

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    No, I haven't got any recent issues at all to be honest.

I suppose it might not be the best etiquette to post them yet if it is too current then, but I guess there are various interesting selections in there? They are new ones (maybe more specifically about greatest/best XIs as opposed to personal preferences or as often based on players played with/against) rather than the full collection of already published Perfect XI articles are they?

9. La-Máquina

La-Máquina BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Modern legends and lesser players pick their ‘personal preferences’ ‘based on players played with/against’.

I could share some later, as I don’t think we’re allowed to scan them here.

PDG1978 repped this.