Inter 2016-2017 season

Discussion in 'Inter Milan' started by Samora, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A new season, a new coach and a whole lot of new hope to do better then last season. Finishing 9th is pretty darn low and with no European competition we are a good outside shot for the title and at the very least a CL spot. Mazzarri has had the chance to work with this squad for the last 2-3 months and even though we had very undesirable results early on we managed to look marginally better after each game and this being an inter at only 60%(as Mazzarri was quoted saying).

The amount of transfers show that inter is still a work in progress especially in some positions but the management team did have an eye for youth and did let go of some deadweight which is commendable.

We start off against Genoa at home with this healthy group

Goalkeepers: 1 Samir Handanovic, 12 Luca Castellazzi, 30 Juan Pablo Carrizo;

Defenders: 2 Jonathan, 5 Juan Jesus, 6 Marco Andreolli, 14 Hugo Campagnaro, 18 Wallace, 23 Andrea Ranocchia,31Alvaro Pereira,35 Rolando, 55 Yuto Nagatomo;

Midfielders: 10 Mateo Kovacic,11Ricky Alvarez, 13Fredy Guarin, 16 Gabi Mudingayi, 17Zdravko Kuzmanovic,19 Esteban Cambiasso, 21 Saphir Taider, 90 Patrick Olsen;

Forwards:7Ishak Belfodil, 8 Rodrigo Palacio,9Mauro Icardi.

3-5-2 seems to be the main formation for Mazzarri so its expected to see the usual back 3 of JJ, Rano & Campg
    midfield can be a toss up but most likely cucho will be in the center with guarin/alvarez pushing up and nagatomo & jonathan on the wings
    the 2 up top will most likely be palacio and one of icardi-belfodil

Players to watch out for in Genoa are Lodi who we were linked too this summer, Gilardino is still a decent striker. Apart from those two no other names jump out. However we did struggle vs Genoa last season and finished both games at standstills.

Still think this team will get the win
    3 points, no less
    Forza Inter!

2. SteelShot

SteelShot Member

Jun 8, 2009
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm feeling better with the 3-5-2 to provide more defensive solidarity although that will definitely depend on our most attacking CM(s) doing their work. I don't wanna make any predictions, just hoping for a solid win. I'm feeling good except I'm heading out for vacation and I'm gonna miss the first inter game unfortunately! Lets do this!

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Watching Inter- Genoa right now. Didn't realize Stankovic called it quits. I knew he was off the team but though he would continue his career on another club. Guess there is no stopping father time.....

4. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 Samora, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
    yeah deki said his final goodbye to inter but I think right now he's a free agent that has another year to offer.

Anyhow, great second half vs genoa. First half I was really disappointed with cucho, guarin and our midfield play in general. Poor crosses and giving the ball away too much though we started to improve closer to the whistle. Second half started and we looked much better however I think a key component to that was genoa deciding to start attacking which left open some much needed space for nagatomo & jonathan. Lucky with the deflection which found nagatomo at the second post for the goal but we can claim it was merited with how well we played after the start to the second half.

Second goal was a nice patient pass from guarin to palacio though credit to taider(?) who won the ball in midfield.
    Some observations: I think we'll see taider or kovacic replace cucho or at the very least push cucho to that LCM position cause he just can't cut it as the sole anchor anymore. Very glad with Mazzarri's changes, kovacic for cucho, icardi for kuzman and taider for alvarez. He was smart enough to notice we had too many offensive pieces after the 1-0 and not enough cover.
    Still room to improve but good win today.

5. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Kovacic just glides by players so easily. He just needs to improve his shot and fitness after the injury but man what a talent he is on the ball.

6. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 Samora, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    Hopefully a talent we don't end up selling...his shot is exactly what mazzarri wants him to improve on. With time we'll see him earn his starting spot, he's just great to have on the counter. His dribbling naturally moves everything forward and creates space or at the very least ends up with a dead ball situation.

7. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. SteelShot

SteelShot Member

Jun 8, 2009
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Appreciate the highlights and write up Samora. I was following the game on my phone and I'm so glad we won by more than a goal and didn't concede. So it looks like 3-5-2 worked better and with the right players. How did Kuz do? I really don't like him starting. Get Taider or Kovacic in for him. How was Ricky?

9. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inter sent you off to vacation on a positive, kuz was mostly cold. He tried to get into good positions and did some work in covering for nagatomo but like the rest of our midfield in the first half he didn't make most of the possession. Second half was more of the same for him so naturally the substitution came.

Ricky was like guarin were in the first half they were making errors but by second they really started to create chances and move the ball around, part of the reason he struggled early on was because Lodi was on him.

SteelShot repped this.
  10. SteelShot

SteelShot Member

Jun 8, 2009
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I see, that's what I expected from Kuz, you feel someone else should start over him?

Glad Ricky picked it up in the second alongside Guarin, they can be so deadly at times and I want them to both be on their A game. Sucks I'm gonna miss the second game as well! BeInPlay needs a solid connection for it to work.

11. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I share the same sentiments as you, we should see less of him and probably more of kovacic and taider/obi
    too bad you'll miss catania, we've had some very entertaining games with them over the years
    after that is juve...

12. SteelShot

SteelShot Member

Jun 8, 2009
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm not missing Juve that's for sure. I really do not wanna see them win another title, that would hurt. What's going on with Obi, still hurt?

13. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On and off, hopefully mazzarri's anti-injury team can help him out cause he was quite a promising midfielder even during the rafa stint

14. SteelShot

SteelShot Member

Jun 8, 2009
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I agree, I liked what I saw from the guy. It really must be a bitch to deal with injuries when you're a professional athlete.

15. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Defenders: 2 Jonathan, 5 Juan Jesus, 6 Marco Andreolli, 14 Hugo Campagnaro, 18 Wallace, 23 Andrea Ranocchia,25 Walter Samuel, 31Alvaro Pereira,35 Rolando, 55 Yuto Nagatomo;

Midfielders: 10 Mateo Kovacic,11Ricky Alvarez, 13Fredy Guarin,17Zdravko Kuzmanovic,19 Esteban Cambiasso, 21 Saphir Taider, 90 Patrick Olsen;

Forwards:7Ishak Belfodil, 8 Rodrigo Palacio,9Mauro Icardi.

probably won't get to see the whole game but im excited to see if kovacic will start and in what position he will be in. Catania has sold some good players but they always give us a hard time. Milito had some games with the primevera but im not sure he will be ready for juventus but at least he's coming out of injury much sooner than the estimated time of october.

16. SteelShot

SteelShot Member

Jun 8, 2009
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Milito!!! Milito!!! Milito!!!

This is gonna be a tough game and again I'll be driving as I was last week when Inter was playing. Nice to see Olsen on team sheet.

17. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were very lucky not to have conceded a goal in those first 10mins. Afterwards it was back and forth with inter getting some chances mostly through guarin-jonathan but there was quite a few easy give aways from both teams that led to some of those chances. The goal was all jonathan who is having possibly his best game so far, 1 v 1 beats the defender and sends a low cross to palacio who just taps it in.

Kovacic was playing where kuzmanovic was playing last week but it didn't seem all that great since he didn't track all that much to help nagatomo(who really needed help) and offensively he only had 1 good run and 1 good distribution apart from that it was not a great performances from him and i can understand mazzarri subbing him out early for taider.
    Sharper passing and our midfield not giving the ball away so much are things to look for int he second half which i won't be able to see...

18. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Very good win against a team that had been a thorn for us the last few times we met. We looked good imo, besides perhaps the last '15 in the 1st half. For the 2nd half, it almost looked like Catania didn't care.

Glad to see Álvarez finally have a good game.

19. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah catania completely forgot or didn't care to defend during that half, alvarez just sliced through
    I still cringe when we lose or give the ball away easily ex. guarin, cucho
    3-0 great win, still don't think we're at juve's level but with this performance a slim win/draw is realistic

20. SteelShot

SteelShot Member

Jun 8, 2009
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Thanks for the write-ups, I only caught a bit of the game while I was streaming it on BeinSport Play in the car and it seems most of the defensive issues were in the first half when I wasn't watching. I'm happy we defeated Catania in their stadium without a goal conceded but based on the highlights they sure as hell had their chances and we got lucky at times. Next game is Juve which I feel is too soon for this team but I hope with our home crowd behind us we can take them down. Sure looks like Serie A is going to be an exciting one this year.

21. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree it feels a bit soon, speaking of which milito has made a great recovery and is now available for the juve game.

Defenders: 2 Jonathan, 5 Juan Jesus, 6 Marco Andreolli, 14 Hugo Campagnaro, 18 Wallace, 23 Andrea Ranocchia,25 Walter Samuel, 31Alvaro Pereira,35 Rolando, 55 Yuto Nagatomo;

Midfielders: 10 Mateo Kovacic,11Ricky Alvarez, 13Fredy Guarin,17Zdravko Kuzmanovic,19 Esteban Cambiasso, 21 Saphir Taider;

Forwards:7Ishak Belfodil, 8 Rodrigo Palacio, 9 Mauro Icardi,22 Diego Milito.

probably won't start but it would be nice to see milito and palacio join up again later in the season, even though palacio is good as a CF he and milito were great earlier this year before injuries starting hitting(that run from winter to march). Kovacic is not 100% so Taider is probably going to start, I'd be surprised to see kuz starting.

For me this will be a real test for jonathan who is up against asamoah.
    Midfield wise they are a step ahead but we can manage to hold them off depending on who marks pirlo and if guarin plays how well can he help our defense(cause johny is going to need help).

if we show improvement then a draw or loss wouldn't be so salty

22. SteelShot

SteelShot Member

Jun 8, 2009
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yea probably same lineup with taider in like you said. I would love for Milito to come in the second half and score, MILITO!! This game is huge and it's gonna be a real test for the team to see how they've improved. Pogba is gonna be the man to watch IMO. And Tevez is a very dangerous player, going to be tough to neutralize him.

23. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far our defense has neutralized him though we are giving the ball away in really dangerous areas.
    I don't think either yellow was warrented and we got very lucky vidal touched the ball with his arm otherwise taider brought him down and it would have been a pk.

Campagnaro was our best defender though frog did very little wrong and kept tevez at bay.
    Jonathan is stepping up to asamoah and so far he's been decent-good.
    Guarin needs to step it up a notch, gave the ball away and for the majority of the first half did not have that fighting spirit up until the end.
    Taider is doing good, besides taking down vidal, he did pretty well covering for nagatomo and combining with him

not a lot of great opportunities on goal but we are definitely keeping up with juve.

24. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guarin really stepped it up and I'm glad Icardi got his first goal vs juve. 1-1 fair result, I liked what I saw from some players in defense, distribution of the ball was good, still a little sloppy giving away some balls but overall I thought we did well. Most importantly I think we showed the rest of the league that we are coming back.

25. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Considering that Mazzarri said we wouldn't really see "his" team until October, I take today's draw rather positively. We were never played off the pith and were always in the match against currently Italy's best team.