<Insert Name Here> Sucks! - Our Very Own 'Other Teams' Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Highbury, Feb 26, 2009.

1. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Houston gets rid of Maidana and Candyman and stops playing Wenger and starts winning. . .

2. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why hasn't that worked for us? :(

buzzkiller23, Starpork, drewuke and 6 others repped this.
  3. lopezzzz

lopezzzz Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Union legit tried to pretend those three were part of a core of a team that would contend.

That's why I don't buy any of the FO's bullshit.

4. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, it did. The Union have been better since those guys left.

djramone repped this.
  5. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll agree with this. Low bar but accurate.

drewuke repped this.
  6. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Looks like somebody forgot

[​IMG]

jaykoz3 repped this.
  7. redball

redball New Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Alright. I've had enough watching MNUFC screwing around trying not to lose by double digits. Will another team PLEASE get Josh Gatt on the pitch?? I want to see the FLASH.

8. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I don't think he's made an 18 yet this year. Probably not fit.

9. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Fire just signed schweinsteiger

10. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    McCarty, Juninho, Schweinsteiger....that makes a lot of sense and clearly filled a position of need....

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  11. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who rides the pine?

12. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Twitter is talking about none of the above and some change of shape with either Juninho or Schweinsteiger playing a more advanced role ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Sounds like a good problem to have.

14. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Play a non-attacking midfielder as such? JC giving the Paunstar coaching advice now?

LiverpoolFanatic and LuckyStriker repped this.
  15. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, MLS coaches are allowed to do that? Someone get Curtin on the phone.

CITY&UNION and Yo-Joe repped this.
  16. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3191 LuckyStriker, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Notes & anecdotes from week 3-now with homegrown glossary terms for Chester interns to research, and maybe even forward........

Where to begin?
    I left off slagging Adrian, and since he responded with Minny's first ever league point it'd be only fair to offer congrats. Interestingly enough, he tightened up on D by defaulting to Shuttleworth in goal and relying more on his NASL grads to provide some badly needed grit and glue.
    *Christian Ramirez is a target striker of very high quality. A club that valued players toiling in lower levels might have had themselves a bargain. The guy does everything a coach could want in a single high scorer. Still; Heath didn't value him enough to start at Portand. I'd take him on this Union project right damn now.........The loss of Sjoberg is going to have big-time repercussions for a team who is as D oriented as Colorado is.

Oh Atlanta........
    I'm a hockey guy by birth, and I see a great deal of similarity with the way United play. I see other correlations with another team in the league now.....but not in the same way. The way players pass and receive on ice has a lot to do with the quality of the play. It is the undervalued skill among NHL players today. Martino understands this concept, and he teaches it effectively. The ball never leaves their boots. They turn and go on a dime. I was excited to watch the contrast in styles-but it never had a chance to materialize. I picked the wrong MF to card in this one, but the right team. Once Joao Meira got sent (legit) down 1-0 the game was over. Warning: If you go down a man to the tatas don't expect them to sit on the game! They will run you out of Dodge. Martinez is the goods. He looks like a serious golden boot threat. His second of the game would have ranked right up there with Rick MacLeish-but alas; he didn't have to ground that one in from the corner flag....... The guy I haven't been able to take my eyes off over 3 games isn't he or Almiron. Hoe Lee Catpiss is Julian Gressel good. 8th pick in the draft, is it merely this German playing with all that talent? I honestly don't think so. This club is giving new meaning to the term: "Shooting Blanks". Right now, 3 games in, they are playing better soccer than the Union have in 7+ years. Well worth the look as a neutral.

If Geiger was reffing all these games.......

Vancouver was gossiped into a loss (What Shea said)-
    Ted certainly made Birnbaum cry Unkel-
    Cassar's journey Stoica'd to a stop-though to be fair Chad Barrett looked like he was still playing for LA with 3 horrific mistakes that threw the game.

But that was nothing compared to KC-SJ............
    Come for the laughs, stay for the gaffes. I have an absolute man-crush on Jair-as long as he's not officiating Union games. I also had Dwyer as my scorer in the prediction league. He should have had a hat trick of PK's in the first 40 minutes. If you have the opportunity. watch the first 2-3 minutes of this game. I wish I had known that he and Dom apparently got into it in this matchup out in Cali last season. You want alternate facts? This guy refs alternate games ! He literally screws Dwyer all night, and when this originates from a guy who'd rather eat glue than whistle anything in the first place........:laugh:
    Justice eventually prevails, thanks to the USMNT back up Friday night. He stands too far out of the cage and allows an "Epic Feil" moment to turn the tide. Benny practices his own brand of Brazilian Jujitsu:ninja: -and swerves a dervish over his head and into twine without an attempt. Then super Dave manages to OG himself to end the suspense.:ROFLMAO:

"there was a keep who had a dog and Bingham was his name-oh!
    B-i-n-g- ham.jpeg ...................

On to the game of the week:

Self; are there a better pair of wingers in this league than Quioto & Elis ?
    Why, no me ! Portland had control of the game pressing to possess. Within a matter of minutes, these 2 just took over and used their wing speed to bring the lead into the locker. Hondurans, Alberth in particular intrigues me. San Pedro Sula kid-anybody ever spent time there? If you ever go, know in advance that landing any aircraft in that region around those mountains on a runway the size of the head of a pin makes Midway in Chicago look like a day in Disneyland. Also, having recently been voted murder capital of the world it's very understandable why he does everything rapidly.......Caleb has been sobered by what happened last year. He made an in-game tactical adjustment and started pressing to physically impose his will on Cabrera's club. This did 2 things: 1). exposed a shaky back 4-and thereby a chink in the Dynamo's armor. 2). Got Nagbe time and space on the ball. It was the difference-but worth staying up to watch. You can let me in on your Timbers takes in about 3 weeks, but to me this a team that can beat you in multiple ways now. #Maturity.

Finally; there is another side lurking out there.....who beats you one way-and as an ancient Flyers fan-Color me impressed. New England took an early PK lead in Frisco. Dallas never panicked. They simply took the measure of the Revolution and started probing.....and picking them apart. Understand: Heaps' team played well. Defended admirably. Never threatened again. What jumps out at me with FCD now is attitude and demeanor. These guys are dirty-and they want you to know it ! They are here to beat you up......and then beat you. NE had some big boys.......they were nowhere to be found. I believe the out of league comps have made Pareja's projects even more dangerous. Oscar took Colman-who was dreadful-off at the half for Barrios. Apparently, you are allowed to do that..........

Surrounded by a maelstrom of malace, a clinician like Maxi "Tutti-Frutti" Urruti has somehow found a way to thrive. Kicked out of Cascadia, he has made himself a home reaping the fruits of his teammates' labors. 2 mistakes in clearing, the only fault you could find in Boston's plan.
    Both deposited with precision. A wop bop a loo wop a bop bam! boom! Gruezo and co. distract you by acting like "little richards"-and then the talent swoops in for the kill. If they don't sell anybody and stay healthy, this is the club the league should fear.

billf, Tyr, ScottyMac26 and 1 other person repped this.
  17. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minnesota gave up 5 to New Enagland this afternoon.... soooo at least we aren't those guys.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  18. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Once Blake is sold we probably will be.

Handsome Pete and lopezzzz repped this.
  19. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to think some folks around these parts were clamoring for the Union to go after Heath when they fired Hackworth............

20. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's a rocky road to success for them. "What should we do?"

Yo.........Adrian.

21. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I've got a pile of dirty laundry here that could outcoach John Hackworth. Higher upside too.

Tyr and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  22. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Motion to change the name of this thread "At least we aren't Minnesota"

Also had to post this terrible joke somewhere: On Friday the US scored Pulisix against Hondurass.

23. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shorter commentary on a shorter week 4 (3.25?)-with a nod to Crew frocks-in an abbreviated set where nobody was as Acura as they should have been........

1). enough of a sample size is now in to suggest that nobody should be more worried about the state of affairs in Minnesota than Mastroeni................

2). turned on the TV after that Heapin' helpin of goles just in time to watch RSL try and pick up the pieces at RBA. En espanolish. Even the commentariat were amazed by the quality of the failures to score even uno. I know there was no Sascha or Joao......but my goodness, I've never seen pink that wasteful in single game before. Why can't that ever happen when the Union play them? I must admit to some shock seeing Darryl Shore as the elected successor to Cassar. Having had a bit of personal experience with the man at lower levels, let me just state that his personality makes Marsch's seem charming...........

3). Loggers at Hardhats. Entertaining, and yet so frustrating. Petrescu and Stoica at the controls-anybody surprised Asprilla's opener counted despite the fact he was a week offside? Portand -Ridge (act 1 ) failed clearance = level. Chara gets his card....looking good. Tim Gleesson runs out and What? Acts like he's Jackie Gleason that's what! Instant goal of the week, and it's 2-1. Didn't mind the score, just the scorer. You see.......up to that point I had "Out-Kamaraed" Scotty...........

But then; just before the half, Adi snatched the tie and I was a big Fan(endo) of that. I had it! The score I mean. The ineptitude of both sides only added to my excitement. Dreams of a decent showing in the prediction league danced in my head, who cares how few games there were. i felt a twinge of shame at questioning the wisdom of Christie-but fortunately it faded as fast as it came.

I knew victory was fleeting as the clock ticked under 5 to play. The Ridgeless got ruffled at the back yet again, Glee club parried a quality shot right into the path of a sub. Just my luck, he was fresh, and in harmony with his teammate. As Neil Sika warbled when he scored:

hanson.jpeg

24. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    \

I cringed so hard listening to that call. I thought for a second that the guy's name that scored was M'Bop, then I realized it was Hansen *facepalm*

LuckyStriker repped this.
  25. djramone

djramone Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw someone write that Demidov on MNUFC could be the worst player in MLS history. Hyperbole for sure, but got me thinking, who's the worst player in Union history? To make is more interesting has to have played in at least 5 games (so no Toni Stahl or Ray Lee allowed).