Infractions public?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Bada Bing, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Shouldn't getting infractions be made public? Now it's hidden so you can't really tell if someone got infraction from a insult or something else or not, which you might then retaliate yourself. It would also help users tracking mods, if they are being biased or fair.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. Infractions should be between the mod and the person in question. However, if someone is close to an infraction, a warning via PM should always be given. If a whole group of people are close, then I see nothing wrong with a public warning.

Star-Lord and soccernutter repped this.
  3. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    But current method encourages bad behavior, when you see insults go seemingly unpunished. Also infractions should always at least be between both parties in question, so the victim would also know that it's not free to insult him. That's not how it is now.

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you think something is out of bounds, there is a report function. It should not be made public because it is not the business of anybody else. In addition, if it was made public, there would a whole additional level of problems (additional antagonism, piling on, etc. that we mods would further have to deal with).

There should be a PM/Conversation sent to the poster warned/infracted.

Which "victim"? The one who was warned/infracted, or the one that the initial post was about? Either way, just because there was no notification sent, or not indication on the, or the post was not deleted, it does not mean that give free reign to other posters to insult any poster at all, ever.

Again, no matter what the actions of the mod were to you, it does mean that any other poster has free reign to insult you. But there is a grey area as to what that means. Most of us mods have a tendency to give leeway to posts/posters.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I didn't know where to put this, but I thought this might be the place.

I received a yellow card and I currently don't have posting privileges in the US Mens News & Analysis forum. I did not receive any notice on what exactly it was for or how long it lasts, so I was wondering how long something like this would last, as I want to be allowed back in that forum. I've contacted a moderator and asked this same question, but I was given no answer. Aren't moderators supposed to explain their decisions? I'm asking these questions here, as I am unsure and have been unable to get an answer elsewhere.

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Janet H

Janet H Administrator

Jul 30, 2015
    Pacific NW
    Club:
    Seattle
    Infractions are private info - the business of the involved member and the site team. To post about the details publicly is not appropriate and we work hard to ensure that members privacy is respected. Thanks for understanding.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello @Janet H...

Mmmmmmhmmmmmmmmmm

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Janet H

I don't care who infracted ussoccer97531, but I want him to know who infracted him and why.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Completely understandable, but I think I deserve to know the reason I was infracted (there was no obvious heated confrontation), and I'd like to know when I am allowed back.

I'm willing to follow the rules that the moderators set, so I'm not even arguing that I shouldn't be infracted, its a moderator judgement call, although I find the whole thing strange since I hadn't received any warnings about my posting in that specific forum. I'd just like to know why I was infracted and for how long.

By the way, thanks for the help @EvanJ, I appreciate it.

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check your inbox, there should be a message of who and why.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Believe me, I've checked, there isn't one. I had to contact a moderator to ask about the situation, and I didn't get an answer to why I was infracted and for how long.

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who did you contact?

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    dark knight, and he responded to a side note of what I was asking, not the actual topic. I'm not sure he really knew either, to be fair.

I just feel like the moderators have been very unhelpful in this case, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone specific. Its been about three weeks and I still have not received any help on this matter. I know that I'm not a moderators favorite over my time on the website, but I still think I deserve to know why I was infracted and for how long.

bungadiri repped this.
  15. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should have been sent a message explaining the warning at the time it was given and I'm sorry you weren't.

I don't know the exact story, but based on what I see from the moderator's view of your account suggests there might be some confusion. The warning is labeled "off topic derailment". I am guessing that the moderator who gave the warning assumed you could see that, but in fact that label is visible only to other moderators. The warning was for 20 points and will last until March 16.

soccernutter and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Thank you. I appreciate your help.

bungadiri repped this.