Info on playing for US...[Rs]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Jamil, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Jamil

Jamil New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Some of you might know me, but many prolli don't.

My name's Jamil Fearrington and i play for FC Kobenhavn in Denmark.
    I cover most positions on the field, but my strengths reside mainly in the central defense or as right back or right winger.
    I'm born in 1986 and have played several national youth team matcehs for the Denmark side, but I have lately been pondering the possibility of playing for the US youth team.
    Somehow i see more prospect and honor in playing for the US side, but I have no idea how to contact the US soccer association??

I'm not a big name (yet), so I guess US coaches don't know me, but I'm currently at a club at a very high european standard with players who recently attended the world cup (Sweden's Marcus Allbäck and Tobias Linderoth and Ghana's Razak Pimpong), but also other big names as Denmark national Jesper Gronkjaer and Canada's Atiba Hutchinson (plus many other capped players from Denmark, Sweden and Norway) , and I am sure my skills as a player would be profitable to the US side.

So first off, would someone help me contact US Soccer??

And second off, I'm not familiar with the rules regarding changing national sides within soccer. I have dual citizinship and I played matches for Denmark at U-18 and U-19 level. Does anyone know if it is at all possible for me to play for the US?

Regards Jamil Fearrington

Link: http://www.fck.dk/english/squad/25._jamil_fearrington/

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Re: Info on playing for US...

I predict this post will generate a few responses.

As to answers:
    U.S. Soccer Federation
    1801 S. Prairie Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60616

Phone: (312) 808-1300
    Fax: (312) 808-1301

http://www.ussoccer.com/contact/index.jsp.html
    or e-mail.

You can switch your national affiliation once but don't mention Razak Pimpong to anyone in the USSF.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

In regards to switching national teams, you're in the clear, provided you haven't played BOTH for Denmark in a FIFA-sanctioned youth event (for instance, UEFA U18 qualifers) AND haven't played a friendly or qualifier for the senior team.

If you have played for the Danish youth team in a FIFA-sanctioned event but not the senior team, you're still in the clear because you can switch national teams, once, before you turn 21. And since you were born in 86, obviously you aren't 21 yet.

If the games you played for Denmark's youth teams were friendlies, then you are good to go as you're still a free agent, as it were, as un-cap tied.

As for contacting the USSF, odds are you aren't gonna get a cap from the senior team sight-unseen.

At this point, you're best bet is to try and get a spot on the US U23 national team, that will be competing to qualify for, and hopefully participate in, the 2008 Olympics in China.

The U23 cycle is for kid's born in 1985 or after, so you are age-eligible for that. Unfortunately, the USSF hasn't named a coach for the U23 team, so I can't tell you whom to contact directly. However, if you contact the USSF and let them know you are interested, I suspect they will pass on your information to the relevant parties and once a coach gets hired - hopefully sooner rather than later - you can get on his watch list.

The US Soccer website is www.ussoccer.com . Try and click around there and you might be able to find an e-mail for someone to contact. Also, many of the powers-that-be in American soccer surf on BigSoccer so many of them may see this thread and contact you directly.

I do know that the current U23 pool isn't loaded with center backs so it isn't like there isn't any room on the team for an experienced and talented player. Not saying you're a lock for the Olympics, but if you are good enough to start for a better Danish side, you should have a decent shot.

And, the US traditionally does a nice job promoting players from its U23 teams to the senior teams. If you look back at past Olympic rosters for the US, most of the players on those teams eventually got capped by the senior team and many became regulars.

Hope this helps and best of luck. Please keep us posted on your progress.

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  5. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003

Jamil, how much playing time are you getting with your club's first team?

Also, I didn't see your name in the lineup for the Denmark U19 side's recent match against the US at the Milk Cup in N. Ireland. Did you not get called in, or was it a case of wanting to stick with your club to prepare for the new season?

EDIT: Being an 86, I guess you are too old for that team.

6. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jamil, really interesting to hear your story. Out of curiosity, what's your connection to the US? The website has your nationality listed as Danish, so I'm wondering if you have American parent(s) or if you were born over here...?

7. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You might also wish to look at this short thread in the US Youth National Teams forum:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383860

It contains a lot of info on contacting the US Olympic Development Program in Europe and some of the posters there are genuine in their assertion that if you e-mail them, they can put you into contact with the right people.

We'll be following you here and wishing you all the best!

8. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United

Jamil,

I see you decided to stay with FCK. Good luck throught the winter. :)

If you have an agent, you may want him to check with the USSF as well.

Good luck,

Sachin

9. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7151003&postcount=45

10. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA

Here is the little Google told me about Jamil:

Fodboldtal 2. division

06-08-06: 14:09 | opd. 06-08-06: 17:08

2. division øst:
    KB-Holbæk......................2-2(1-2)
    0-1 Fazil Keskin (1)
    0-2 Jamil Fearrington (39 selvmål)
    1-2 Jamil Fearrington (41)
    2-2 Jeppe Brandrup (73)

Sounds like this is a 2nd division game played at 6/8 or 8/6 at 2006?

Jamil scored two goals in this game. Haven't get his weight and height yet, but just from his picture, maybe he is Gooch's little brother? :p

Apparently Jamil graduated to the first team now.

11. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA

OK, Jamil, give you some basic information about current US team --National Team and possible Olympic Team.

Even we sucked in Germany, but many believes USA can be a top 5 World Powers in near future--like within 10 years. So the possible National Team coach could be Klinnsman, the previous Germany coach in coming Jan. 2007.

There are 4 center defenders right now: Oguchi Onyewu (Standard Liege, Belgian), Cory Gibbs (Charlton, England), Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham, England), and Demerit (Watford, England). Also some of them playing in either Denmark and Norway.

We also have left back Spector (Westham, England, former Manchester United), and Cherundolo (Hannover, Germany).

In the Olympic Team, Spector may play center defender, and we are thin on it. So with solid time you get in your club, you may become the partner in the center defense.

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

yes, he scored two goals... unfortunately one was for the wrong team

"selvmål" means "own goal" in danish :D

14. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA

First ever thread on Yanks Abroad started by a Yank Abroad?

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

I think Coiner dropped a few notes here and there and there was, of course, the infamous Kraut incident.

16. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis

Don't you remember Melchior Arnold?
    Did Grover Gibson start his own threads or did he just weigh in on others?

17. Al Trost 76

Al Trost 76 New Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Sedona, AZ

I remember Melchior. Dispatches from FC Lucerne, I think. Articulate guy.

Grover Gibson sure got ran out of here pretty quickly. Not a high moment for BS Yanks Abroad if you ask me. Wasn't it because he thought MLS was mickey mouse compared to lower division Europe? I don't agree, but then again I don't play professional soccer. For that reason folks might have afforded him a bit more respect. Obviously, as a real yank abroad it would have been great to have him posting regularly here--he seemed eager enough.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll handle this.

Were your matches for Denmark friendlies? If so, you're a free agent at this juncture.

If they were not, you have until your 21st birthday to petition FIFA for a change of allegiance if you also held US citizenship at the time. But you can only do this once.

You don't have to play for the US, you just have to petition for the change by your 21st birthday.

EDIT: Sandon, dude, imagine you wrote your thesis on feminism in Kentucky coal mines in the 1890s. And someone happens to ask a question about that topic. Wouldn't you be irked if someone else chimed in with the answer before you had your chance. :D

19. Jamil

Jamil New Member

Jan 6, 2006

Thank you all for some great responses and info. I saw some questions here and there, so I'll try to answer them all with some more info on me.

I've been at FC Kobenhavn for 7 years now and I have been practicing with the first team for 6 months or so, but was just officially promoted to the first team the 1st of July this year when I signed a new 3-year contract with the club. I'm not in the first eleven, but I believe that next year will be my big breakthrough. Right now I'm just trying to learn from the experienced players and get my game ready for when i get my chance in the starting line-up. I've played some first team games though in Viasat Cup and the League Cup and several exhibition mathces also. The young players on the team who are not selected for league games, get match practice playing for the reserves in the second division.

Someone asked about my status with the danish national team right now. Currently the U-20 team is for players born in 1987 or later, so that's not possible, and the U-21 is for players born in 1984 or later, so the squad is filled with players from 84 and 85. I still believe I should be in that crowd, even though I'm younger, but obviously the coach doesn't agree. ;)

I have a question too... Someone said I look like Gooch's little brother... Who's Gooch??

20. Jamil

Jamil New Member

Jan 6, 2006

I played official qualifying games, so I would have to petition FIFA... Thanks for the info.

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

is one of ur parents an American citizen? or were u born in the US?

22. Jamil

Jamil New Member

Jan 6, 2006

My dad is american, but I was born in Denmark.

23. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not sure that this is _entirely_ correct. I think the rule may be that you need to have been eligible for citizenship at the time. In other words, you weren't a citizen but could have been anytime you asked for it.

The rules from FIFA seem slightly unclear on that point as they refer to it as 'nationality' I believe which can be interpreted in different ways.

You would need to ask US Soccer and FIFA about that part if it applies.

24. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oguchi Onyewu, US National Team central defender. Plays for Standard Liege in Belgium for the time being.

[​IMG]

25. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Okay. Someone mentioned looking up Heath Pearce when you play Nordsjaelland. That's not a bad idea. He's represented us both at the youth and senior levels. So has Danny Califf. He's older but he also plays in Denmark at Aalborg. If you play against either, might want to look them up.

Here's Califf:

[​IMG]

And here's Pearce:

[​IMG]

Just in case you need to pick them out of a crowd. :)