Indy NASL News

Discussion in 'Indy Eleven' started by NSmith22, Feb 15, 2013.

1. BTL97

BTL97 Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree to an extent. NASL was always stubborn, and kept it's nose high, trying to keep true to the impractical fundamentals of European soccer league structures here in the US. I understand the gripes of MLS and USL, but I prefer either one of them over NASL. It's just a shame to see all the teams go like this, and potentially even ours. I hate the Cosmos, but I sympathize with them. If I were from NY, I'd probably be a Cosmos fan too, when the only other two options are corporate puppets of larger entities, and it's a shame that the fans can't keep their team.

2. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASL Down to Four Teams, Future Bleak
    The four teams are believed to be Rayo OKC, Fort Lauderdale, New York, and FC Edmonton. This assortment would have little to gain from negotiating with the USL. It’s expected that FC Edmonton will join the prospective Canadian Premier League in 2018, which the other three teams have major questions about their immediate future

- See more at: http://fiftyfive.one/2016/12/source-nasl-four-teams-future-bleak/#sthash.bpbrDspg.dpuf

3. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was talking about this on FB. I suspect the article title was supposed to read "NASL Down Four Teams, Future Bleak".
    Funny how the word "To" can make such a difference.

2 have been in a financial struggle for quite some time
    1 over spent... history repeating and all
    1 rumored to be heading to a canadian league (that is rumored as well)

Regardless, life in NASL definitely looks to be on it's last leg

4. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Unless the Canadian league is starting in 2017 that headline wouldn't make sense either, because FC Edmonton isn't folding.

5. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles

JDogindy, jeffcoop and BTL97 repped this.
  6. BTL97

BTL97 Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're a good man for sharing this.

JDogindy repped this.
  7. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    also, the boss broke his silence:

JDogindy, jeffcoop and BTL97 repped this.
  8. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nipun says Indy is still hoping to salvage the NASL and hasn't filed paperwork with USL yet. Given that there doesn't seem to be an NASL left to salvage, I find this all very curious.

9. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I think there is a lot of partially informed tweeting and speculation going on. I don't think you will see the NASL survive, while one or two teams leave for the USL. I think either all of the teams stay in the NASL for next season, or the NASL folds and some of the teams join the USL. It is just a matter of whether or not they have enough teams for a viable league. So it comes down to convincing certain teams to stay, and finding investors for NY and FTL.

10. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i just posted this in response to a "why is indy dragging their feet?" post in the main nasl thread. thought you guys might have some thoughts about it:

as far as i know, indy are still looking for a way to get a stadium built. if ersal is worried about too much financial transparency, that sounds like something that might put their pie in the sky numbers they're feeding to the legislature into more realistic terms. we all know how transparent these stadium deals are, right? they didn't push for a stadium in 2016's session. i'd guess they've got a big plan for the 2017 session, and all of this drama is really ********ing it up... if i had to guess.

11. Otis Campbell

Otis Campbell Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Sadly we are not going to get a stadium built in the near future. It just isn't going to happen. The 11's best bet to convince IUPUI to use Attucks' track and rebuild where they are now at a highly reduced price. The location works the stadium just needs upgrades.

My fear is we will end up with a 4-6 team NASL with additional games scheduled against the NPSL, ASL, etc. That is a rumor I heard yesterday. Hopefully not true.

12. BTL97

BTL97 Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubt it. Word recently has been we're going to USL.

13. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt USSF would sanction that; they certainly wouldn't sanction it as D2, even with the promise of expansion in 2018.

The One X repped this.
  14. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nipun:

Indy? Who else seems interested in saving the NASL at this point?

15. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Edmonton, they have the most to lose by the NASL falling apart.

16. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would make sense. Good thinking.

17. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Also based on reports Edmonton is expecting an NASL season, while there are some reports out there saying Indy will play in USL next season (which I take to mean Indy is prepared to make the jump if the NASL is no longer viable).

A lot of reading between the lines on my part, but I think is a logical conclusion based on what has been reported, assuming all the reports have some measure of truth to them.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to being left out of a post NASL world competitive-wise, they also own the most stock in NASL and will financially be hurt the most.

The One X repped this.
  19. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were offered that back in 2015 & this time, they should go that route. Its not like IUPUI has a killer track program and Crispus Attacks does have close accessibility.

20. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    To do that they would most likely need to upgrade Crispus Attucks track. Last time I looked at it it wasn't looking too good. Certainly not good enough for a university of any level.

21. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And IUPUI is not "any level." It may not be a "killer" track program, but it's Division I, and it has to have a facility to match.

The One X repped this.
  22. GenWRX

GenWRX Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I'm not sure that's true. Neither the men's nor women's Track & Field Schedules show them having a meet at IUPUI for this year. Additionally, IUPUI's Master Plan from Feb 2012 - "To create visual connectivity to the riverfront park, it is recommended that the Michael A. Carroll Stadium grand stands be removed. The track will remain and be improved as part of the active recreational portion of the park." Before the Indy Eleven started using it, Carroll Stadium was to be eliminated.

One of the problems for the Indy Eleven with Carroll Stadium has always been that no matter what money goes into making it better, it will likely always be owned by the University. Which means that the team doesn't, ultimately, control all of the money. I don't know what the team pays to use the facility, but I'm sure there is a cost.

Also, I agree that Edmonton could be the one dragging their feet, but Miami FC and Puerto Rico FC could also have issues with USL. Miami FC because of Beckham's MLS Miami project and trying to compete against that with the MLS/USL partnership and PRFC because of a potential travel expense issue with other USL teams. May not be desired from the USL owners. Those are just personal guesses though and I have no other real basis for it.

23. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    #373 stphnsn, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    i was listening to SXM FC on the drive back from lunch, and jason davis was talking nasl and exit fees. here's what he said (to the extent i can remember it). the teams who are still acting like they want to stay in nasl if it's viable will have an exit fee to pay if they leave. it was $500k if they said they were leaving by July. it jumped to $1.5M if they said they were leaving before 12/15. apparently teams are free to leave for only $25k if there are 7 or fewer teams still in nasl for the next season. is there an out clause if nasl loses its D2 sanctioning? i'd argue it's legal malpractice on behalf of the teams' attorneys if there isn't.

so that's what indy is waiting on. if enough teams fold, they're out for cheap. if the league itself folds, maybe they're out without any separation fee at all.

EDIT: here's the article jason was talking about. http://fiftyfive.one/2016/12/game-chicken-steep-price-exit-fees-dictating-nasls-future/

24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's interesting that there are no home meets. I suspect that hosting meets is complicated by the presence of the temporary east and west stands for Indy Eleven, which don't cover the track but (I think) do cover some of the areas used for field events. Regardless, it's still a Division 1 program, and the track, at least, is definitely up to Division 1 standards. Crispus Attucks, not so much. (Note that, even in the 2012 master plan that called for the demolition of the stadium, the track would have remained).

On the other hand, if all they need is a track and field facility without a grandstand (or with only a small one), I wonder if the field between the NCAA and the Herron School (where the tennis stadium and some of the outer courts used to be) might be use. I'm not up on IUPUI's current plans for use of space, which are constantly in flux.

All kinds of things floating around now--USL to be denied Div. 2 status because of the large number of clubs that fall well short of Div. 2 standards; NASL to soldier on as a 6- or 7-team league in the spring, with additional clubs to join in the fall. I don't really see the latter as viable--the travel alone would be ludicrous. But who knows at this point?