Individual investing - discount brokerage

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by oman, Feb 13, 2006.

1. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    In keeping with my normal style of doing things a couple of decades too late, I am going to try to start buying and selling individual stocks.

I have a couple of Fidelity products (401k and 529s) and i was thinking I may as well just start up a basic fidelity brokerage account. I can't imaging doing anything much more than dabbling at first (sub 5K in the account) and then building it up gradually. Hopefully.

Would this be just like any other discount brokerage or is there a better choice. I am happy with Fidelity's customer service.

2. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    From what I hear, Fidelity has the best service, but you pay alot per transaction relative to the others (E*Trade, Ameritrade, Schwab.) So as long as you arent trading too actively, it shouldnt be a problem.

3. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I love these guys :

Think or Swim

http://www.thinkorswim.com/

They'll let you trade options and things like that cheap. That probably doesn't matter to you. But what is nice is they're offering a new "paper money" service. So you can pretend to buy stocks and see how you do without tracking them by hand. They also give some great seminars.