Indian Super League

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by staafros, Jun 22, 2014.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes with players on 2 month contracts :rolleyes:

ashindia repped this.
  2. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Over 61,000 for Kerala Blasters - Chennaiyin FC !!!!
    There will be european clubs to play friendly games in India the next summer ?

3. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Great crowds, lets hope in a few years the skill level and domestic players improve (imagine India being an Asian powerhouse??)

4. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    The ISL is only popular and better than the domestic league is becvause of the foreign players.

Focus on youth and naturalise overseas talent is the way forward for India

5. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I wouldn't focus on naturalising overseas players (unless they are migrants growing up in India). Far better simply to ensure that the grassroots are step up properly to grow the game and their international reputation. They have the money in India, but do they have the association and organisation to make this happen across the country (or will they focus on regions?)

7. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    very unlikely in next 5 years, but in 10-20 maybe if this good project continues and in a good way with other format like in China, Japan or SK...and games from 7 days to 7. Now, the program it's a little bit harsh.

8. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    For Bigsoccer moderators : this is the moment to create an India section like Japan, South Korea, China, Saudi Arabia etc !!!

9. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Why, hardly anyone has ever posted on the Indian threads.... End of ISL we have I.League....who will post then?

If ISL lasted 8 months, you wouldn't have half the foreign players they have now, it's currently short and sweet and then they can go, not much commitment required.

10. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    and most of the foreigners are semi retired players :p

11. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Nest season ISL will run for 4 months. Start in Sept and end in Dec.

12. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Will there be an expansion to 10 teams ( Bengaluru and Hyderabad ) ?

13. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Bengaluru was nearly in this edition, the pulled out.
    I feel, they evaluated it, and saw sense in staying committed to I.League, especially after they won the league...if they didn't win the league they might have entered.

The owners, JSW, aren't short of money, but had lost £3m in the steel industry in the 6 months before the competition which may have been a factor.

14. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    ISL should replace the current Premier league.. now that its a 4 month league, soon enough it will be a whole season.

there is more money and its a better franchise. and if these ISL teams invest in academies, it will be great for the future of India football

15. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Will there be an expansion to at least 10 teams the next year ?

16. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    You hit it on the head though... Franchise.

Teams come and go, enter via money.

The I.League is based on merit..The I.League do need to look at the ISL and see how the can improve...night games, get the crowd in, entertainment before/after the show piece, but it doesn't happen. Teams can't afford to play at night and pay for floodlights etc

17. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    well when I mean franchise, we need to look at the A-league model in Australia. 10 teams, picked with alot of research of population, registered football players in the area and local talent to be nurtured into the first team..

ISL is great because its given popularity... a model which can reap financial success.

18. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    A-League isn't run on those lines....hence why Gold Coast and North Queensland were formed and disappeared very quickly...they were formed because of money over merit. They failed when they money couldn't buy players.

I do feel that ISL is best at what it is...calls for expansion...expansion to what? Robert Pires...Anelka...don't last forever....the ISL has played on people who aren't required in Europe....to get any bigger means they need the big players in their prime, not on the down.

19. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    When I say A-league, I mean

Salary cap
    4 foreigners
    National Youth League
    Academies (feeder youth clubs)
    1 team per city (initially- before expansion)

plus additional rules such as min u21 players in starting lineup

20. pak_sakoorgtloh

Jul 2, 2013
    Club:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    I think ISL made exactly what J-league did 20 years ago. Bring some top player to popularize the sport among local. If this plan goes well, ISL might be the next big things in Asian Football.

But unlikely to be in 5 years time. Maybe 10- 15 years from now. Youth development is the big aspects to be consider first

21. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What has been the audience TV in India for Atletico Kolkata - Kerala Blasters ?

22. indiafootballfan

Feb 26, 2010
    all over usa
    Club:
    Pune FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
  23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kolkata/A-whole-new-ball-game/articleshow/45737191.cms

Not sure if an 11 week league can do that, but at least economically, it looks like it did pretty good.