Increased Costa Living - The Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Ninjatend0, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Have you checked out what seltick are saying? :eek:

:D

2. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    In regards to Bats at Dortmund, he will get loads of time. The only other recognized striker they have in that squad is Isak who is even more raw and unpolished than Bats.

3. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    1. 19 goals, 4 assists in just 1,772 minutes of play. He scored when he got chances.
    2. Why did Conte wante? Whatever.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  4. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Money. And more likely...money.

Mahrez is way overpriced and overhyped.

Draxler, yes. I wish we had money to buy him. But...one out one in and no one else was going out.

Kenedy out, Emerson in.
    Musonda out, Barkley in.
    Michy out, Giroud in.

Kerry Dixon's Boots repped this.
  5. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Giroud official.

6. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    [​IMG]

Blueallthru repped this.
  7. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  8. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Chelsea is an enigma when it comes to transfers.

9. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    One out one in.
    Future resale (young)
    Or help now, low fee, low risk (old)

That's the strategy. We can't afford to make mistakes like a Lacazette. Or Mangala. Etc. The players we put on the pitch perform.

Did you see Alonso's free kick the other day? Glorious. No one mentions it. If Ozil did it, it would be National Mesut Day.

Kerry Dixon's Boots repped this.
  10. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Also, it's nothing new for Chelsea to bring in older strikers. Ba, Anelka spring to mind. It's really hard to find that player who is willing to sit but is still quality. Giroud scores off the bench for fun.

You want to argue that we should have kept Michy and Musonda and Kenedy and just sprung the ~40 million on one impact player? That's fine. But we needed help everywhere.

I guess the argument is, why didnt we buy three 40m players?

11. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    with the one in/out we still could have outlayed for one quality player in addition though. the question really is who that would have been.

12. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Indeed. There is a dearth of quality players available in January and they usually come at a hefty premium. And even then there are more desperate clubs who will spend above that.

Far better spend that kind of money in the summer (though would be lovely to wrap up business early and before the world cup drives up prices).

Props to city though for securing high priced players with no budget. Impressive.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  13. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is no one happy with this window?

Kenedy out, Emerson in
    Musonda out, Barkley in
    Michy out, Giroud in

Upgrade on quality and/or reliability in all positions (Musonda/Barkley maybe up for debate), and none of the players who left are out on permanent deals. Don’t think any of them are option to buy either. Yeah, we didn’t sign Draxler, Alexis, Mahrez or any other “big name” out there, but for a January window when such signings are a rarity I am honestly pretty impressed. Had we started the season with this set of players I think we would be in a better position across all comps than we are in now. That’s really the key in all of this for me, I don’t understand how this puts us in any worse off of a position than we were beforehand. Michy scored goals but contributed little else - would you really want to give him a long stretch of games while we’re in a position that could easily turn into a race to stay in the top four?

14. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    lol, BURN

15. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Happy here. My expectations were minimal and not saying we got massively better but think we overall strengthened and the loans out (esp Michy) will allow players who are close, to get closer.

I think Giroud is a really solid pick up. Can play a role on the bench or start when needed. Already settled in London (not to be underestimated) and knows the league. From what I've seen of Arsenal fans, many of them are sad to see him go. And as I noted earlier, we didn't have to break our 30+ structure to do it.

Nice to see us capitalize on another clubs desperation for a change.

16. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ummmmm, hi

Screenshot_20180131-145211.jpg

Sarcasm Bot and nicephoras repped this.
  17. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Mahrez and Draxler would cost stupid money in the winter break. This isn't when you shop for value.

18. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I was wrong. Freely admit it. I also didn't think Arsenal would be this stupid.

Wrath repped this.
  19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Musonda for Barkley is the ultimate *shrug* transfer. Barkley is a poor man's Joe Cole, a man with "talent" but with almost no production. He shoots from terrible positions, doesn't pass to other players and is in general far less helpful on the pitch than his talent suggests. Musonda wasn't really good enough to play. So.........meh.

Emerson Palmieri was, by all accounts, a terrific prospect before his injury. Given that we don't need desperately need him right now, this is a terrific purchase. Exactly the sort of thing we should be doing.

Giroud makes a lot of sense. 15M isn't a lot of money in this market, and he really fits our style of play very well. Good feet, good with his head, decent (not great) finisher. Reminds you of someone......
    As for Michy - the loan is a great idea. If he comes good, he can come back. After all, his main problem seems to be with our style of play and our manager. If Conte isn't our manager in a year and a half (which is reasonably likely), no reason he can't return. Of course, it's only a great idea if he plays - but that's always the caveat with loans.

20. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't understand why we seem to wait until the last day of the transfer window to make signings. It's as if the board doesn't realize the window is open longer then just the final 24 hours.

Why we didn't sign a backup LWB in the summer is beyond me. That was a clear area we should have address. I'm very happy with the signing. Alonso has proved himself to be our #1 LWB and I'm quite happy not spending the £60M on Sandro to displace Alonso.

Giroud does make a lot of sense, but why didn't we sign him in the summer? He was looking for a move, Conte clearly never rated bats (rightly so imo), why wait until we have completed over 60% of our matches.

I don't see us being competitive with City for the title while Pep is in charge. If we get 3rd place I will feel as if Conte did a great job with what he as given. My biggest concern is the fact that two of our top assets (hazard and courtois) both have deals running down and I can't imagine they will be too excited by our signings over the past two windows.

Wrath repped this.
  21. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    that's my main fear right now as well. we need to hold on to hazard and Courtios.

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

23. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This times 10! We've been very uninspiring in the window for some time now. We will lose both if we don't change our approach. Courtois is likely gone in the summer and Hazard will follow next year if we keep replacing instead of improving.

24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure where to put this but something I'd like to see tried now that we signed Giroud

--------------------Giroud---Morata---------------
    ------------------------Hazard-----------------------

25. ComeOnChelsea

ComeOnChelsea Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Doesn't look like a 352

It took Conte being almost forced into 343 for him to realize it was working better and then we lost Willian who was the one really making it work

I'm fine with 343 but would like to see
    Hazard - Morata - Willian . It seems real obvious, but I'm not sure how many times we have actually had those 3 up top

Blueallthru repped this.