Increased Costa Living - The Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Ninjatend0, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    not to completely degenerate the conversation. but Morata keeps being the only real name that pops up as another option besides Lukaku. and if we are talking about those two, i'll take Lukaku. which is part of what i think needs to be discussed. who is better than lukaku and readily attainable, and that we don't have other concerns over how they would adapt etc?

2. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    FYI, Fox is losing their CL coverage in a year (or so?). Turner Broadcasting got english rights, so expect some of the team to follow. How Lalas remains employed is remarkable.

3. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    yeah, if those are the two options if Costa leaves, I'll take Lukaku.

AND THEN SEND HIM ON LOAN TO WEST BROM

4. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    2018 is when it starts.

5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    ESPN FC is vastly better. They have a sense of humor about themselves.

6. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Are we talking Lukaku as part of a 2 striker lineup or as a replacement for Costa? As part of a 2 striker lineup, I soooo do not want Lukaku. The thought of Lukaku and Costa playing interchanges with each other gives me nightmares.

As a replacement........eh. Lukaku isn't my first choice, and the price is ridiculous, but I suppose it could be worse. The problem remains is that I'm still very unconvinced by his ability against packed sides, which is what we tend to face against most of the league.

7. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i also think he has limitations. but i seriously don't know who else we should go after instead. also, costa's not exactly an amazing passer or link player. he's alright. i don't really think in that regard costa has much of an edge on lukaku. costa is way more effective on the counter as well. lukaku gives quite an athletic and aerial advantage though. and he may not by himself be great against packed defenses, but that's why hazard and (insert RW here) are supposed to give us, is the chance creation. if you give lukaku chances, he'll likely get a shot on target or finish it.

all this being said, i'd still like to see a lot more of Batshuayi towards the end of the season. see what we really do and don't have with him.

8. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Today's hot take is that we're in for both Barkley and Lukaku. WhooOOOOoAoaaaaaAAA

9. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    ******** that hot take

Yahtzee repped this.
  10. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    But can we buy like, half of Monaco's team, please?

Mbappe is the real deal. Fabinho, Silva, Bakayako. What a team.

11. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    I can only imagine them each still tripping over the ball hours over the game had ended.....

12. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Pogba is an actual #2.

13. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Courtois:

“I have two years [left on my] contract, so far we have not talked about [a renewal]. Would I like to extend? Of course. I am very happy at Chelsea and if they wanted to continue with me, it would be great.”

"I do not see myself at Real Madrid. I see myself at Chelsea, I feel like I'm a key to the team."

“No, [I will not be at Real Madrid next year]”.

14. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I like his answer. I just can't see him at Real with his 3 years he spent at Atleti.

15. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hmm. Does that matter much anymore? Is there ANY history of players moving between clubs? Seems so silly in the modern era. I mean, we sell to Arsenal.

Madrid is going to go hard after some top keeper. If United dont make CL, De Gea may be enticed. Lloris... I don't know. I think Navas has done quite well and he's not really part of Madrid's issue going forward.

I can see Courtois being extended very soon.

16. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It matters in Spain. Figo went from Madrid to Barca or vice versa but not too often do you see someone go from Atleti to Madrid or Atleti or Betis or Sevilla.

17. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hope they get De Gea. United will find it tough to replace him. Best shot stopper in the world imo.

18. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    De Gea's saves against us last week were next level. Guy is worth 10+ points a season.

19. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    Oh I can. When things are going well, he is 100% Chelsea when it isnt things become a little more gray. If next season, something catastrophic happens I can see him jumping ship.

20. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm not saying he won't leave Chelsea. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go.

21. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Does something qualify as worse than what went down last season?

Think we're fine with him. It's Diego who outright said he had a foot out the door last summer

22. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    which brings us back to the big question, who replaces him if that's the case. i think we've yet to really find a viable, realistic alternative besides arguing the merits of Lukaku. most here are in agreement that the other big name that pops up (Morata), when compared to Lukaku, most take the Belgian.

23. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    How about Aubameyang? I understand he is different but pretty prolific as well.

24. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    this is where we get into the realistic target arguments. we could certainly make a list of better strikers out there, but who will be available and willing etc? if rumors are true, he's a target for madrid, which is possibly why Morata or Benzema will be available.