Increased Costa Living - The Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Ninjatend0, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Costa has been trying to return to Spain and Athletico since the moment he left. Every transfer window was a distraction and affected him negatively on the field. We got a great replacement in Morata.

lobomojo repped this.
  2. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Please enlighten us on how this could have gone differently and what choices were available.

And don't turn out to be one of those absolute cabinets who think this is down to a Conte text message.

3. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What Wrath said. He also refused to come back. Little choice here.

4. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I still regret getting rid of Asier del Horno! Levante got his best years!

5. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Costa official to Atleti.

6. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    59 goals in 120 games, 2 titles, and a league cup is what he'll be remembered for. I don't think he ever received a red if I remember correctly. Interesting given his rep.

His rep being a crybaby wanker wanting to switch teams and nationalities when it was most convenient to him and acting like a penny-throwing baby when things didn't go his way. I understand he competed hard for us but I won't be sad to see him go.

7. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He was sent off against Everton in the Cup (the Gareth Barry incident iirc).

8. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I will remember him fondly, but I'm happy it's over and he's off.

9. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We can use that money to buy The Next Papy.

10. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Screw that. We can buy 20 Papy's!

11. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Blueallthru repped this.
  12. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  13. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Blueallthru repped this.
  14. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm not convinced. I'd argue we are where we are at because of our injuries. Baka isn't a holding mid. Asking him to be one is a bad idea. He's a a less refined version of Matic. Fabergas cannot play in a midfield two, he just doesn't have the work rate to do it. Drinkwater being put for 2 months was a huge problem, we can laugh at that all we want, but he might be our second best midfielder when it's all said and done.

JimWharton repped this.
  15. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Exactly.

16. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It's also clear that Conte has not gotten anywhere near his first choice targets, starting with Nainnggolan, then Koulibaly, and on and on.

If he makes it through this season, it's a miracle. I don't think he survives if we finish 4th in the league and a Ro16 exit, which is highly likely.

17. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Neither of whom wanted to leave their respective clubs (who also had zero interest in selling to us).

Miracle? Meh. Blame injuries all we want, what was there to blame with our opening day defeat? Conte's 3-4-3 isn't doing what it did last season. It hasn't proven to be anywhere near as effective as it was outside of our great performance against Atletico where we went 3-5-2. What on earth was he thinking playing a midfield of Baka/Fab? You've got the Luiz option at DM and its not exactly a risk to start Christensen.

We don't have the punch to compete with City it seems but stuff like yesterday is unforgivable, both for player and coach. Total lack of creativity tactically combined with poor form and well.. thats what you get.

Everyone moaned that our squad blew and half the team should be sold when Jose was running us into the ground. All Hiddink had to do was switch the starting lineup up a bit and we were suddenly in top 4 form despite not playing great football.

Yes. Hence... my post.

18. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With January around the corner and PSG in need to sell anyone interested in Lucas Moura? He's still young and has upside tho the EPL might not be the best fit.

I get the feeling we won't be using a 3-4-3 as much as we will a 3-5-2. Baka and Cesc aren't ideal in a 2 man mid. While Kante can cover ground it leaves us unbalanced compared to last year with Kante and Matic.

However, he's still talented and at 25 has years to go while replacing an aging Willian and/or Pedro.

Thoughts?

Anyone else likely available that you guys think we should target or just wait for summer?

19. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The Barkley rumors are picking up steam again.

I am starting to wonder about our Brazilian base. We only have two excluding Kenedy. I wonder if behind the scenes there is something there?

20. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Apparently Luiz was very friendly with Costa so the press are digging their teeth into that.

I don't even know where Moura plays on the pitch. I remember hearing how amazing he was before PSG signed him and haven't heard much since.

I don't know what sense Barkley would make. But if Conte can whip him into shape, fine. But if/when Conte leaves, we're stuck with a Barkley.

21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He plays RW but can also operate from LW.

22. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God I hope we don't land Barkley. At least wait a few more months and get him on a free.

23. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hazard allegedly wanting out unless we make serious moves for players next summer.. don't know how true but wouldn't blame him at all tbh. If we don't try and make that leap to becoming an elite team then what's the point of sticking around?

EruditeHobo repped this.
  24. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    First of all, where does info like that even come from. Players don't give direct quotes to the press like that. If anywhere, it'll leak through from other players. Even then, it's rare. If there is a quote of Hazard saying this (or a Belgian temmate), I'd like to read it.

Second, this past summer window was stressful, but step back and look at who we brought in.

Morata is one of the world's leader young strikers.
    Rudiger is one of the best CB prospects around and will be part of the German national setup for years.
    Bakayoko, is one of the best Mid prospects around and will be part of the French national setup for years to come.
    OK, we didn't get Sandro on the right, but Zappacosta is an Italian national.
    We did the right thing and kept Christensen, who is one of the best CB prospects.
    Drinkwater has come in, and while he's not an England international, we could get him there by 2018.

Not upgrading at backup striker and on the wings was the biggest mistakes, though I think we tried. Letting Matic go to United was a mistake, though he clearly wanted out.

It's obvious we're not going to spend the $ like City or Barca or United or PSG or Madrid. We just don't. That's not how we operate.

Blueallthru repped this.
  25. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This.