Inaugural match, what were your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising FC' started by Killersheep, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-0 Loss is bad, but this is basically our first preseason game. I don't think it's the end of the world.

2,888 is respectable for attendance, given the distance from the center of population and the late notice.

I think there is obviously a lot of work to be done, but I think the foundations for game day are getting set. Definitely need to, get better audio on the feed, and of course could always do with selling more tickets. The proof of the pudding will be 3-4 games in when it starts getting hot. I am optimistic about this so far though.

2. ohthatsbrian

ohthatsbrian New Member

May 18, 2011
    Chandler, AZ
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    the 1st half especially wasn't bad. our backline was solid. woodberry's red card is what ultimately did us in. that, and the forwards & midfielders were non-existent the entire match. but like killersheep said, this is really our preseason. hopefully the boys start gelling quickly.

it definitely felt more professional than it ever did under the old OG.

3. azjohnnymac

azjohnnymac Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Arizona
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It is preseason. Heck these guys have not even had a scrimmage against another team. We resorted to a lot of long balls from defense and that, for me is the reason for the missing MF. Not sure if that was nerves, unfamiliarity with each other and not having the out ball or the fact they were under pressure and that is the easy way to relieve it...probably a combination of them all.

First half they were off the pace a bit, but well organized.

Playing with 10 is hard anyway, let alone when you have guys who are not used to each other or the system they are playing.

It was clear that individual skill is there, its about gelling together as a team and that takes time.

4. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 Matt117, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    The Good:
    - Peoria Sports Complex (PSC) is a professional facility that knows how to run an event. The amenities (bathrooms, concessions, souvenir/team shop) were great. It had the feel of pro (or division 1 college) sports event. I didn't feel like I was going to watch my nieces play like I did at Reach 11. The concessions had local beer, wine, and cocktails. I didn't eat anything there, but they looked to have the standard stadium fare. There is also a ridiculous amount of options for pre-/post-game food and drinks.
    - The team shows promise. There are obviously some talented players on the roster.
    - Fan engagement. I didn't make it to Draft House (maybe next week/time), but it was great that Kyle Eng is making an effort to interact with fans and show that he views fans as more than just revenue from tickets. Even though I got my tickets for free (through a local soccer league), the AZ United employee I interacted with to pick them up genuinely seemed to want us to have a good time and come back again. This may not seem like much, but it was stark contrast from last season. Edited to add: Just got a call from Arizona United asking about my experience on Saturday. Of course, the ultimate goal was to get me to buy tickets for next week (which I did), but it's good to see they are actually trying.

The Bad:
    - The drive out to PSC was really long for me from Tempe. The closure on the 101 north and the accident on the 101 west at 7th St. didn't help things. I won't be going to any weekday games; I have to deal with traffic enough as is. I couldn't imagine driving from east Mesa or San Tan Valley.
    - The layout of the stadium was awkward. I think they did the best they could, but I moved around during the course of the game and couldn't find any good seats. I felt like I was either too far away or not high enough to get a good view of the field.
    - The team looked really bad. While there were clearly some talented players, they didn't seem to be able to get anything going. I don't have high expectations given the circumstances, but there are only so many 4-0 drubbings I can sit through. I imagine the casual fan who hasn't been following the whole saga will have less patience than me.
    - Lack of energy/interest from non-LFR fans. It's really not fun to sit by a bunch of people who are barely watching the game and are far more concerned with their conversation.
    - The uniforms. I'll buy a scarf and maybe a t-shirt, but I'll pass on the jersey.

Killersheep repped this.
  5. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent write up, the 101 North closure was a lie haha, it wasn't closed until 11 PM.
    You are always welcome to walk over to our section, we will welcome you with open arms.
    The jerseys are temporary ones until their real kits are released, hopefully they lose the white suspenders.

6. kjkep

kjkep New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Mesa, AZ
    Club:
    Phoenix Monsoon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that the facility and fan-friendly nature of the leadership were big positives. I enjoyed the game greatly and am looking forward to what the team can accomplish with some time to gel. Anyone who got a look at Coach D's face afterward will know that this is a man who hates to lose. I predict massive improvement in these first few weeks.

7. yojimbo81

yojimbo81 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team played well given the circumstances. Head referee did what all head referee's should never do: become the story of the match. Bad calls. It happens. My only gripe was not prepping the announcer on the player names. He butchered too many. It was pathetic.

Concessions were overpriced. Expected more modest prices at a minor league baseball stadium. Held out for In-N-Out. Cheaper than eating inside.

My hopes are high. If the club keeps doing what they are doing now and it somehow fails, it won't be their fault but on the desire of metro Phoenix for professional soccer.