In with the new - Summer 2019 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 1, 2019.

1. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Considering as how nobody except Everton expressed any meaningful interest in him, there's certainly a strong basis to say nobody would have paid that for this window at least.

2. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    We can speculate about these kinds of things forever, and some speculations are smarter than others. But there's a danger in thinking that those kinds of speculations are likely to be accurate when they're not.

I didn't think Ramsey would get nearly as much money or play for as big a club as he has. And I also thought Wenger would be able to get some kind of management job, and he hasn't. In fact, the Real manager's job has become vacant three times since we fired Wenger, and Wenger hasn't gotten a sniff of it once.

Suffice to say, I hope Iwobi does well for Everton, except when he plays us. But, if it happens that in 18 months that Iwobi is the reincarnation of Cristiano Ronaldo, I still won't regret selling him for a moment. It was the right decision.

3. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I felt like every single mention of a big club considering Wenger the summer he left was a total farce, equivalent to the "Coutinho to Arsenal" rumblings. Bordeaux is probably the best he could do for himself at this point.

4. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why in the world would Wenger want that hell called Madrid? He’s too pure for those jokers

5. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A smart man waits for the right opportunity. He doesn’t NEED to work, he wants the right fit.

6. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I wasn’t ignoring the advanced metrics. We all watched iwobi play. Goals as a stat matter when for their current team don’t they? I’m not projecting some prospect from league 1 based on his goal output for another team in another league using simple goals.

We know exactly what iwobi can do for us because we’ve done that 3 season experiment. What he brings is good and even excellent in many facets, but my argument is that it isn’t what we need from that position to improve. A frontline attacker must have final product in the way we play. I also compared him to miki who’s advanced metrics are the same or better yet people would pay him to leave—why does no one want miki?

All season long we hear we need a winger, a real winger, a real wide player with pace, goal and XG output and upside. We get one and iwobi is the sacrificial lamb... all I hear about is moaning over the fee.

7. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one wants Mkhitaryan because he’s 30 and on grossly inflated wages.

8. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iwobi is a center mid. (Not a 10.)

He could be a great one.

bandwagongooner repped this.
  9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Perhaps, but interesting that Arsenal never tried him there. Could be dogmatic thinking, but also possible that he doesn't have the legs to play in midfield. He's a very good wide creator though.

10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's my main worry. With Ramsey gone and Ceballos not guaranteed past this season, I would've like to have seen Iwobi get minutes in the MF before selling him. I'd have sold Xhaka first without hesitation, but obviously other clubs weren't interested. Oh well.

casoccerdad47 repped this.
  11. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We suck at this sort of thing.

12. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, this seems like the kind of thing that would come from the manager, not the club.

I don't think 1 season is enough of a sample to say what Emery's willingness is to try players in new positions, but I have a feeling we'll never know.

I'd imagine most of this sort of thing (IF it happens) only happens in training. If it works, we will see it on the pitch, but if not, then we're all left to wonder and speculate.

mebeSajid repped this.
  13. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Well yeah, but that's because United intends to play Jesse Lingard, a lot. That's because United's creative options are crap but ours are great. Which, by the way, is why for all our dysfunction we all still a better club than United. If we didn't have five better options than Iwobi every way to Sunday, well yeah, we'd probably have to keep him.

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Utd would sell Jesé for iwobi money imo

He’s not amazing and they have other midfield options better than him

15. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah, but who? I don't think they have a single attacking/creative guy who they really like, with a clear role, who is completely reliable as a mainstay to generate offense. Rashford is the closest they have, I think.

The best I can say for United at the moment is that hopefully the defense is much stronger than it's been, and the pecking order is pretty clear on that side of the ball. And unlike prior managers, for any of the players who can't work with OGS, that's on the player.

16. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We do. But I remember that when iwobi first started playing he came off after 70 minutes in every match. Possible they tried him there in practice and he just doesn’t have the legs to play that role

17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He played there this summer during AFCON. Played 90 minutes, minus one match.

thebigman repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    +1

I think it's easy for us to armchair general him into CM but there is obviously way more to it

e.g Is this what the management want? Do they see a role for him there? Was he any good in training? Who else is competing for that? etc

In my experience with Rugby down the years these kind of shifts come about more opportunisitically, or were always planned

e.g mega talents like Ozil or Ramesy or Wilshere start in wide midfield but were always destined for CM

To be honest i never had that feeling with Iwobi

My guess is Emery doesn't rate him

Romfordray repped this.
  19. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Called "grooming Walcott".

And then when he ended up as a ST it was, well, he is at Everton now on the bench for a reason.

cantona94 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  20. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Walcott was good as a striker! The problem was that he got hurt (once with an ACL tear and once coming on as a sub in a stupid milk cup game). And that he just didn't work as a striker without a good midfield behind him.

21. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    He's also a 30 year old sprinter, with 2 acl tears.

Iwobi is a 23 year old midfielder who I've never seen not recieve a pass and turn successfully.

Super Llama repped this.
  22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Iwobi needs a holding player or 2 but he would be a good cm/10

And it’s can play pogba matic and Fred and be more balanced

23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Did he play today ?

24. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    No, but he had just returned from vacation before he was sold, so he hasn't trained with Everton and isn't match fit.

25. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we shall see how Iwobi turns out. Wilshere lasted a full 50 min for West Ham before limping off. Theo is a bench warmer. Hleb is an alcoholic. Life goes on. IMO Iwobi's market value was probably dictated by Ayoze Perez. Perez had Better numbers last season I think but comparable sell value ~$38 million.