In with the new - Summer 2019 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 1, 2019.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Methinks he'd be free so it's a case of the club seeing a chance at him improving and raising value, either by loaning him out or as a backup.

2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agreed. They're slower but their read of the game is still good. Most importantly our depth on defense is extremely limited.

3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eeeeee I dunno. IMHO, Monreal is fast-approaching that stage where his declining physical abilities negate his game-reading experience.

bandwagongooner and Super Llama repped this.
  4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Same with all players: If the club can get someone better then by all means do so, and if selling him is part of the price I'm okay... provided they are indeed replacing him with someone better. I simply think Monreal is a more able role player while the club seeks to prioritize more pressing needs. Compared to, say, Mustafi as the reserve CD.

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, see, I sort of disagree. I think an upgrade at LB is nearly as important as an upgrade at CB.

Super Llama repped this.
  6. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point is that you would upgrade LB. You replace Kola and keep Nacho around as a backup / vet presence until an academy guy is ready to step up or you have more funds available for LB.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At mid-June technically it's early days yet in the window. So I guess I shouldn't be too upset not to see us do anything yet. But it's hard to not be worried that we don't have a good plan, or have enough funds to realize a good plan.

cantona94 repped this.
  8. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much where I am as well. Not sure why anyone would harbor hope that we do something worthwhile or even remotely competent. I know hope springs eternal but it’s hard with this “leadership” or lack thereof currently running things.

9. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is why he was playing more and more CB

Super Llama repped this.
  10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw our opening fixtures. With both Liverpool & Spurs in August, we damn well better get our squad building done pretty quickly so everyone can have a full and productive pre-season.

11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And once again we play away to S***s late in the season. Can we not please get that fixture in the first 3rd of the season for once? Please?

12. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I think all our money needs to be sunk into a back 4. No guarantees Bellerin comes back after that injury at the level he was, meaning we need to heavily invest there.

13. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Few rumors from the last few days...

- Been rumors that we are shopping Kos. Starting seeing links to Dortmund yesterday claiming they were interested in having a vet presence for all their youngsters on defense. This morning I am seeing claims of a 10-11m GBP asking price.

- There have been some Torreira quotes making the rounds that make it appear as if he is not happy in London (more an issue with England vs Arsenal) and wouldn't mind going back to Italy. This has sparked rumors of AC Milan (recently hired his manager from Sampdoria) making a run at him. Claims this morning that we have placed a 40m euro price tag on him and are willing to let him go if that is what he desires.

- Saw quotes from yesterday that Hakim Ziyech is interested in moving to "a bigger club like Arsenal". He is said to have a 25m euro release clause and is on the last year of his contract. He can operate from AM or RW and could prove to be a good option for us.

- Arsenal are said to be looking at 21 yo German GK Markus Schubert as a FA signing to provide competition to Emi Martinez for the #2 spot.

- Krystian Bielik stated in an interview that he feels he has earned the right for Sr football and he has no intention of returning to Arsenal to be on the U23s. He is expecting to be moved if he is not in the 1st team plans.

- Claims that Arsenal have opened negotiations on improved deals for both PAE & Laca to stave off clubs attempting to poach them.

14. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Selling Torreira would be incredibly stupid. Especially for 40. Seems very unlikely. I think in that same interview he mentioned that a main issue was the language barrier but that he would work on it.

cantona94, AEAAFC96 and Super Llama repped this.
  15. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tend to agree. Do think that if he stays we need to pair him with a more physically opposing CM. Noticed later in the season that he was being pushed around a bit. Think we would be better served pairing him with a more physical 6.

AEAAFC96 repped this.
  16. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading an online Arsenal Q&A by some guy named James Benge (no idea who he is but seems to have some connections) and he is saying that Fraser is our #1 target at wing with Carrasco behind him. Doesn't expect us to have W sorted out soon as it is to our benefit to wait out Bournemouth. Our only competition for Fraser at the moment is Chelsea and they are serving their ban. Fraser's contract expires next summer and he has openly stated he will not sign a new deal. Bournemouth's payout gets smaller the closer they get to his expiration, so in theory, the longer we wait, the better the deal is for us. He claims that the news of being in advanced talks with Carrasco are incorrect. We have been monitoring him since last year and have some interest but will not fully pursue until the Fraser situation has been fully vetted out.

17. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
  18. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Fornals to West Ham for 24 million has been finalized.

19. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very disappointed that we didn't get in on that. Think he could be what Emery was hoping to get from Ramsey/Ozil at the 10 spot.

20. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Arsenal Vision have another dude from Statsbomb on this week. Made mention of the same prospects, but also discussed Carrasco and Ryan Fraser.

Key passage:
    Elliot: "Is Ryan Fraser the kind of player Arsenal should be committing major resources to?"
    Statsbomb dude: "No."

Shen-O and Super Llama repped this.
  21. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good grief. Please, no. :confused:

Exactly.

22. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    lol

Shen-O repped this.
  23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fraser is better than what we have but what we have is nothing

24. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm ok with selling Torreira but it needs to be for more than 40m.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know about that. He's considered one of our most promising players.l

I'm just watching the official Season Review part 1, and it reminded me of how last summer we made some very good signings:

Leno
    Torreira
    Sokratis
    Guendouzy

All ended up being starters.

Hard to imagine another 4 equally impressive signings this summer. But that's exactly what we need.