In our first slump

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by Parrothead FC, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just doing my part to keep the Austin board on BigSoccer going. :)

So we're in our first slump. Two points in our last three games, all at home. Not a great run, but here are what I see as the positives:

1. The attack has died down a bit, which was inevitable. But on an individual level, Tyrpak, Cortes, and Manneh are still showing tons of skill on the ball. Tyrpak has an endless supply of quick spins and flick-ons, but the "problem" is that he's also a great finisher. I wouldn't mind seeing him take more shots from distance, even though he's a great distributor.

2. On a team level, I still dig the system we're playing, with the one-touch passes in the midfield that eventually meet an onrushing flank player in the final third. Surprisingly, though, there aren't quite as many crosses coming into the box as you would think based on our success at getting the ball into the position we want. I'm not sure why that is, but I think the system is still theoretically sound.

3. The defense has been pretty strong. Laredo had a couple of breakaways in last night's game that should have resulted in shots on goal, but we've been able to avoid letting games get out of hand. The giveaway that led to Laredo's first goal came from the midfield rather than the backline. Our goal differential (which admittedly doesn't matter much in USL-PDL) hasn't suffered much as a result of our recent woes.

2. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to me that the Laredo game was 'just one of those games'. We could have easily won it. We had a ton of shots, and while the keeper kept them in it somewhat, a little better shooting would've turned things the entirely different direction.

It seemed to me that maybe the Aztex were a little intimidated by their opponents -- Laredo is a known perennial power. I was surprised to see our players get three cautions so quickly. And, as much as Eberly's Army razzed the referee, I think they were all legitimate.

Hopefully they'll get their heads on straight. There's still lots of season to go, and we're in good shape despite the recent run.

3. pomintex

pomintex Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    VC agree somewhat very ragged game especially on defence and both teams should have scored more with the chances they had. The little I've seen of Dillon Powers been very impressed certainly missing him in the middle. Young Manneh didnt do a lot but wouldn't have taken him off from what he can produce. Cant be too hard on these guys though have to remind myself how young most of them are.

Parrothead FC repped this.
  4. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll have plenty more shots at these guys from Laredo, with 3 games against them in 8 days, starting next week. They're 4 points behind us in the standings, but they have 3 games in hand. Here's hoping we figure out how to take them down.

At the very least, I'd like to see them shut out next time they're in town (on 6/22), so we never again see that asinine goal celebration where all the players fall to the ground.

VioletCrown repped this.
  5. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't really get that either, but I do admit that I like the idea of an instantaneous all-team goal celebration of some sort. Did the GK do it, too? I wish I'd looked.

6. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wondered that exact question, and had the same wish, as I wrote my previous reply. :)

7. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hated the full team laying on the pitch. I thought it was classless. I will also admit I really don't like goal celebrations that are over the top. High fiving and congrats is good, but celebrations, including the fisherman which was done in the past, deserve a yellow card in my opinion.

And yes, my opinion wouldn't change if we were the guilty partiy.

VioletCrown repped this.