In David We Trust - the de Gea Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Numquam Moribimur, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    300k is cheap for him .. he wins more points than any outfield player ..

2. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    given there is no equal or obvious replacement either that won't cost upwards of £60m+ the £300k is fine. at best we might get something somewhat close.

avoid a whole new set of growing pains and bedding in unless he unequivocally declares he wants out

3. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Also considering keepers have much better longevity, on average, compared to outfield players... If we start offloading favorite players I’m gonna lose my shit

4. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are more and more reports suggesting that Dave is close to putting one to paper on a new £350k/wk.

In somewhat related news, Areola has signed a new deal with PSG. I honestly doubt he would have done so with the knowledge that Dave is coming.
    That leaves Juve as the only option available to him apart from us. And while it could be tempting, we probably still are in a position to offer him the better deal.
    Never was overly worried about him anyhow: just like others, I expect things to work themselves out with Mourinho now gone. He fully deserves to be among the highest paid players at the club though...

Anonymous_United repped this.
  6. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Once Madrid signed Courtois i was relaxed but until Jose was here i had a sniffing feeling he may leave because of sporting reasons. DeGea deserves much better. Talk about Pogba Martial etc he is the only player in last 6 seasons who have ditched dressing BS and performed exceptionally well.

7. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anonymous_United repped this.
  8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  9. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far the boys have been honest, but respectful. There was a clear class of philosophies, but no one has flat out bad mouthed Mourinho. Not to my knowledge at least.

10. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Just bloody get him to sign the extension...

johno and Jack Donaghy repped this.
  11. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  12. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    De Gea can be United's best keeper ever - OGS

www.bbc.com/sport/football/46858696

If he signs a new contract and we finally build a team worthy of his talents, I think he just might have a serious claim for that title. He's already been at the club for a pretty long time, having maintained a very high standard throughout in the process. For me personally, I believe he's the best I've seen at the club (yes, even better than Schmeiks at his peak in the early to mid 90s).
    Where he is lacking compared to him and VdS is in the trophy winning department, but ultimately that is not his fault. The saves this guy pulls off on a regular basis are simply insane. Needs to sign that new contract already: and I believe Ole's comments were a slight nudge to that effect as well. If he does and maintains this level of play for a few more years, I think undoubtedly cement him as United's greatest goalkeeper (even if, as stated, I think he's already there).

14. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  15. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    de gea is, by far, the world's best shot stopper but he seems to be going backwards in terms of distribution. with pogba and that mobile front 3 unleashed, a ball playing goalie could be devastating.

jnielsen and J'can repped this.
  16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think his distribution was always suspect. He's very accurate with his long passes but his touch has been inconsistent and he doesn't make angles for his defenders being pressed the way VDS did. Since he came to United he would flub a clearance maybe once every couple matches and that hasn't changed. At this stage, I don't have hopes of him improving this aspect of his game. I'm ok with it, because he's the best shot stopper and his command of his area has improved markedly.

Futbol_Head, J'can and benni... repped this.
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that his ball distribution has gone backwards, incidentally in the past couple of years. Can't help wondering if it wasn't something he must have worked a lot in training and hope it will be re emphasized under Ole and the new goalkeeping coach. It's really the one area where he can make big improvements.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching City right now and as far as the Prem is concerned at least, one would be hard pressed to find a better keeper than Ederson, in terms of distributing and actively starting attacking moves for his team. It's a major spike in his game.

19. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We're having this same discussion on RedCafe. The problem isn't De Gea's distribution as such, but that he really has no choice but to hoof the ball. He can't trust his defenders to play the ball out of the back. Jones, Smalling and Bailly are all are highly suspect in their ball-playing ability. Lindelof has surged in recent months, but you can't play the ball out of the back when you have only one decent option on the back line.

But what about his clearances? Two seasons ago his long clearances were pretty accurate. Not so much now, right? True, but his dire CBs are giving De Gea poor balls to work with and better to send the ball into touch long than to try manage a poor back pass.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It is a really close call. Schmikes I think had the most difficult job, closely followed by DDG. I think VDS had the best results, (we were most solid during his tenure) and a lot of that is down to his calm play and excellent positioning whether it was facing a shot or in possession. However, he also had the best defense ahead of him. It is a really really difficult call.

I think, as the original UEFA CL poll asked who your favourite is, the answer for me is easy... that's VDS. I don't have any qualms about that.

23. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How did Schmiechel have the most difficult job? He played with a much stronger team and more settled defense for the most part. And, a consistent manager.

24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We played 442 and a mad attacking team. Easy to win games, but a GKs job is to prevent goals. We weren't very good at that. He also had defenders who were inferior to VDS' group.

25. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    another thing to consider is vdS was the finished article when he arrived where as DdG has had to grow and is still growing in a few ways.

DdG has also contended with a few different managers and philosophies. the other two had stability.

this is probably one of those questions where there is no wrong answer

jnielsen, Futbol_Head and J'can repped this.