In David We Trust - the de Gea Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Numquam Moribimur, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What do you mean "deserves nothing"? He certainly deserves our respect and gratitude for a job well done but no one is saying that he deserves anything more than that. If Dave leaves, he leaves with a tremendous amount of goodwill that he's earned over the years that he served United.

Or do you seriously deny that Dave deserves our respect and gratitude?

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    We put up with his shit form when he joined and now he wants to jump ship because of our shit form. People are quick to forget the former and the fact that we developed him into the player he is today. This is before we consider him posting in performances of late.

He does not deserve to start the final. He does not deserve our respect or gratitude. You do not get to jump ship when the chips are down and expect a send off.

doubletrouble and Gilma1990 repped this.
  3. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I respect him as a player. I appreciate his POTY performances. I would love him to stay.

I'm old enough and pragmatic enough to understand that this is business and he may feel he'll have a more successful and/or lucrative career at Real Madrid.

However, seeing as this is business, I've no obligation to wish him well or send him off like a well regarded colleague heading for pastures new. He's been well-paid for his service and performing to the best of his abilities is part of his job.

I bear him no ill will, but he doesn't deserve a hero's send-off either. He's not playing for a team like Stoke, where the ambition is managed in line with their limited resources and potential, and he needs to leave to progress. The fact that he wants to leave, underlines us not being where a club of our considerable advantages should be.

4. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I can appreciate what you're saying, but I still don't think anyone is suggesting a heavy lift to show our gratitude to Dave. Maybe an ad paid for by MUST at most. How hard is that?

We absolutely move on, but don't you think Dave has earned a special place somewhere in United lore? We went through some pretty rough times in the post-Ferguson and for most of that time he was the only player staving off some pretty horrific results.

jnielsen repped this.
  5. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Stop with the "shit form" claim. He had three, maybe four, bad flaps against the likes of Stoke, but otherwise was actually fantastic even in his first season for us.

We had Real by the throat, largely due to De Gea (and, improbably, an incredible performance by Jones), until the Turkish ref took control of the game and insanely sent off Nani for what was nothing more than a simple booking offense. It took an astonishing finish by Modric to beat us.

It's not our shit form that's going to send Dave away. It's the simple fact that Real is a bigger club than United and he happens to be Spanish.

Both parties benefitted from his service to United. If he goes, he goes. But the sum of his contribution to United over the last 6 seasons has been greater than the sum of any other player who has been on the roster during that time.

I agree that Dave not "deserve" to start in the final, but only in the sense that no one "deserves" to start in the final. Only the players who give us the best chance to win the game should start in the final. Based on current form, I'm more than happy to see Sergio start over Dave. But if Sergio pulled up lame in pre-game warmups and couldn't play, I'd be pretty comfortable having the world's top keeper start for us.

jnielsen repped this.
  6. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  7. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If this is it, I do feel like a thank you is in order. Especially considering that his transfer fee should be rather sweet and can help to make some proper purchases in places of need. Whether that is the case or not depends on Woody and Co, but I suppose even before him, United have always been pretty shit at getting proper valuation for their sales.

sdotsom repped this.
  8. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Aye. If Dave stays, we go into next season with the world's top keeper. If not, we tip our hat in gratitude for a job extremely well done.

9. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    We will probably still spend £200mil without his fee anyway.

Yeah, he's a 3x POTY (by default) so a short concise thanks isnt too much.

If he's leaving though, get it over with.

10. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United have not given up Dave yet...

www.bbc.com/sport/football/40101493

... and nor should they. Despite all the talk, Dave is still yet to officially make his position known (by way of a transfer request). As far as I'm concerned, that's ground enough to resist Real, or better yet, completely ignore any approach on their part.

12. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm actually not worried about him at this point. By many accounts, he was not pushing for a move at the end of the year and is not pushing for a move now. He sounds settled here and that is literally the only factor that matters. Real can push all they want, but we have a top 2-3 keeper in the world who wants to be here - the end.

barroldinho and Ashur repped this.
  13. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he want to be here tho? We don't know that for 100% sure. Last time it was made public that he wanted to get back to Spain. He may be playing his cards closer to his chest now. If he wants to be here by all means rebuff Madrid unless they come with a stupid offer, but if he doesn't want to be here let him go.

14. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's really desperate to leave then he can just say so by putting a transfer request. There's no reason the club should make it easy on him, if that's what he wants.
    If the club is inclined to it, they could always offer him a bump in salary. As far as selling him, the ball woud be on his court. No reason to keep players against their will. Just need to make it official.

16. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  17. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Various news sources saying we have rejected 60m offer, given clubs dont bid without consulting the agent likely he wants to go. So just a matter of settling fee & replacement.

18. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yeah right. No way would Real put a offer for any player just a few days before their CL final.

jnielsen repped this.
  19. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

20. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They are still using the same fax line.

jnielsen, johno and Rooney20 repped this.
  21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    With the Atletico ban upheld, we better not let DDG leave now that Oblak isn't a replacement option.

22. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    He was not a viable option anyway given their outlandish valuation of him.

Gilma1990 and benni... repped this.
  23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  25. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That second info graphic seems absolutely pointless, the trend line to it pretty much means to say "Easier passes = Higher accuracy" and nothing more.

johno and cr7torossi repped this.