In and Out

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Pegasus, Nov 27, 2017.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  2. Grave27

Grave27 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair he was more then likely out the door at the end of the year anyway. Its been a running rumor that he was trying to get over to Europe but that's not happening now. Who knows what happens with him now. I think there is much more to this.

3. Sportsfan783

Sportsfan783 Member

FC Dallas
    Oct 8, 2010
    Midland, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this was the FCD front office, then wtf? Why do we need another mediocre forward?

If this was Kellyn wanting a move, then good luck in that black hole that is the Rapids. As for FCD, wtf? Why do we need another mediocre forward?

4. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He can't be worse than Colman and is better than relying on a hot/cold Maxi and Lamah. Upon further thought on this, I don't hate it. I hate it for Kellyn but you know that he must've ok'd this for it to happen. He's got a lot of shit to sort out. Good luck in Denver. History isn't on your side but hope you prove them wrong and get your move to Europe.

5. Sportsfan783

Sportsfan783 Member

FC Dallas
    Oct 8, 2010
    Midland, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you are right. Badji is probably miles ahead of Colman. Logically it makes sense. FCD was and still is loaded in central midfield and they need help up top.

However, I am just worried that they will settle for Badji rather than keep looking for consistent goal scorer...If they even are looking.

6. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm really happy with this move. Acosta hasn't been right and Dallas needs the forward help. The draft pick and sell on fee if he goes to Europe make it an even better deal. Wish him well as an American and hope he turns it around but it just wasn't working for him here anymore.

Hope this also leads to more playing time for Hayes and Pomykal.

7. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Please tell me this means Coleman or Tesho are also out the door.

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm tentatively liking this trade, provided that FCD is actually getting everything that the DaMN's sources are reporting.

Acosta has definitely been off his game since the transfer drama a year ago. Meanwhile, this team, which definitively does not blow off the draft, is likely getting one of the top two or three picks in next year's draft, they're getting an international slot that they need, and they're getting a cut of Acosta's transfer fee if and when he gets sold. And oh yeah, they're getting a player who's actually been scoring goals for a crap team.

TxEx repped this.
  9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And oh yeah, if Acosta's about to be out of contract, and he's hellbent on going to Europe no matter what, FCD might've gone from "getting nothing for Acosta" to "getting something for Acosta and leaving the Rapids holding the bag."

burning247 and Grave27 repped this.
  10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty shocking but seems Acosta felt he needed to move on for motivation. I also hope this doesn't mean Badji is the #9 we've been hearing about. Have to wonder if other players will start being moved. There has to be a pathway for some of the younger players to get minutes and if there's always multiple veterans in the way it is playa kid or wreck the locker room. Would like to see a central defender that pushes Ziegler. I'm not as sold on him as others seem to be.

11. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    I'll repeat here what we've posted elsewhere: This does NOT happen unless Kellyn agreed or asked for it to happen. Period. Check the Diaz file.

Kellyn was toast here. After the incident in Jersey and his attitude since, along with all of the noise about stuff going on in his personal life - this was certainly the best thing for both parties.

Dallas wins. They get speed to burn and that is something Oscar loves, "verticality", plus the other bonuses. If Kellyn finds his form and sells off, they get a cut. Again, win-win.

Kellyn? Well, I think the most telling aspect of this has to be the fact he's going to Denver, and while not a bad haul - it's not the $10mm people were predicting this time last year. And then there's the Rapids. I mean, goodness, I can't think of a club less known for fostering young talent. I will assume there were other offers, but this was the best? We can only hope he's not Dillon Powers 2.0.

I'm bummed. He was a 1st gen HG and we all hoped this would end better. But soccer rarely does and somehow a guy who's head seemingly was screwed on oh so straight - wasn't.

12. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Acosta if he wanted out.
    This move doesn’t make FCD any better.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids just made it official, here are the full trade details:

14. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How do you feel about Badji?

15. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Disagree. Acosta wasn't a starter and we're deep in his position. We do need someone who can hit the F'n target and hopefully Badji is that. I'm not asking him to be Mo Salah, but if he can haul in 10 goals for us, we're better for it.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's likely peaked as a player. He's a solid 8-10 goals a year guy if he gets regular playing time, but likely not more than that. He probably would have gotten to more like 12 this year due to his hat-trick game to start the season but take that game out and he is right on pace for 8 this year.

17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is he one of these dudes that's starved of service or is he a guy who makes poor decisions in front of goal 6/10 times?

18. Bosanski Bomber

United States
    May 20, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Going off the last 3 seasons...

Urruti
    2016: 36 SOG out of 91 in total, 9 goals (39.5%)
    2017: 39 SOG out of 103, 12 goals (37.9%)
    2018: 23 SOG out of 70, 6 goals (32.8%)

Badji
    2016: 19 SOG out of 47, 6 goals (40.4%)
    2017: 28 SOG out of 56, 9 goals (50%)
    2018: 19 SOG out of 48, 7 goals (39.5%)

Hard to judge by these numbers alone because Urruti gets more service than Badji did for his team, but Badji seems to be a bit more precise with the opportunities he does get. I'd say he's quicker and stronger than Maxi too which could be useful by using him as a focal point up front, but I'm not sure he's a 15+ goal a season player which is what we really need at this point in that department.

I think this deal was done mainly to make sure we don't lose Acosta for nothing rather than us really targeting and seeing Badji as the coveted #9 we've been looking for. It's still a solid deal which is what the club tries to do when they do business like this within the league and he won't need time to adapt to the league which is a plus, but I'm not convinced Badji is enough up front. But we aren't getting anyone else unless Colman is sold and that's unlikely right now what with the money we'd want to recoup on his transfer fee, his current injury, his poor form the last 18 months, etc. This is probably all we're getting.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both. Lousy service but Badji is great with the instinctual-no-time-to-think-just-hit-it shot. But if he's 1 on 1 with the keeper and has even a second to think about it he'll hit it right where the keeper can save it or off-frame.

burning247 repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, despite what I'm reading from some Dallas blogs, Acosta is apparently under team option until 2020 so he can't leave for Europe this offseason:

21. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My impression of Badji is that he can be an effective scorer, but he would lose interest and the will to work due to Crapids' ineptitude, lack of service, and severely defensive approach.

22. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's a little harsh on Dom. He never appeared to check out of games. Frustration, sure, and we would run him into the ground so his explosiveness would fade late in games, but he never gave up on a game.

24. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Read an article that he didn't start playing soccer until he was 16. That's insane.

JasonMa repped this.
  25. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Organized soccer. Big difference. Still means he may have more upside than others his age. Wonder who at FCD can work with him on that though.

burning247 repped this.