In a way, is Liverpool's failure due to their success?

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by darcgun, Apr 4, 2012.

1. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm in my early thirties, but I can remember as a child the great Liverpool teams (Hansen, Dalgish, Barnes, Beardsley, Lawrenson, Rush, etc.) Though since 1990 Liverpool has won a number of trophies and had a number of Premier League challenges, is it the spectre of the glory era that still hampers them?

One thing though, Liverpool has a lot of tradition/history, but if they finish 11th or 12th, I will major lulz!! :D:p:D

2. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You wont be alone as I'm sure the majority of neutrals will laugh along with you. As you are in your early 30's can I ask you your thoughts on the Arsenal 92-93 season when you finished 10th and won both domestic cups. Do you remember that as a good or a bad season? Its a big 'IF' that we'll win the FA cup but we have won our first silverware in 6 years. The season is not a complete wash.

Its a building process and it looks like a case of taking 2 steps back before we go forward again.

3. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Liverpool will be judged differently to a lot of clubs because of who they are. Their fans will argue that finishing anywhere in the top 10 and winning two domestic cups should be considered a successful season. I agree, in sorts. But I also think that for the amount of money they have spent, they are entitled to expect far more consistency in the league.

No matter how you look at it, 6 losses in 7 games is a very, very poor return on the money that's been spent so far under Dalglish.

4. butlerana

butlerana New Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Its a building process and it looks like a case of taking 2 steps back before we go forward again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    I think it's more to do with having a bad manager and bad players.

6. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    with the players we had that season, it was a fair accomplishment. yes there was Seaman, Wright and the back four, but United and even Blackburn had better squads.

Liverpool has spent millions over the past 12 months, so finishing in mid-table is a very poor return. Should this happen I don't think kenny would get the immediate sack, but he needs to deliver next season.