Improvements for next year

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by worldwidefan, Jan 16, 2011.

1. worldwidefan

worldwidefan New Member

Dec 28, 2001
    I am curious what you would want as an Atlanta Beat to improve the overall experience. Obviously a winning team would be top of everyones list, but what other items would you like to see?

For example:
    - more information on the team on a daily basis
    - more web broadcasting of matches
    - interviews with players, and coaches

What are your thoughts as Beat fans?

2. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm. Good question. I don't think more frequent communication is necessary, but I would like to see more concrete communication supported by action. I think what has me most frustrated as a fan is the perceived utter lack of direction and urgency from management in building a team.

3. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's my feeling that Atlanta does a pretty good job about putting information about the team out there. I think Christa does more press releases, etc., than any other team media person in the league. It is always a good thing to see interviews with players, etc. For those of us so far away, webcasts are always a good thing.

I think the biggest problem as far as information goes is the lack of explaining a philosophy/team direction. In other words, what's the game plan? I understand that if Atlanta is trying to sign a high profile free agent, they can't give us all of the information on that until the deal is done. But right now, most of us can't figure anything out about what's going on.

A sampling of questions that need to be answered imo:

As of right now, the team has not signed one international player and has apparently traded away every single one they had. What's going on there?

What exactly were the details of the two trades made around draft day? Was it really Rasmussen and the 3rd overall selection for a selection in the 2012 draft? The details of the trade have been overwhelmingly vague. Also the impression given by the team was that Heather Mitts was just signed, not traded for. What did Atlanta give up to get her? We're hearing second hand info on these trades and not getting it straight from the team, which frankly isn't very good.

On draft philosophy, did Fitz and Galanis really value Wright and Lenczyk over say Press or Fowlkes? Fowlkes can play center mid as well, not just defense and both Fowlkes and Press were there at number three. If they do value the two players they drafted over the two named above, what are they seeing that apparently everyone else isn't, including most of the other teams/coaches around the league? Note, this is not a knock on the players drafted.

On team building philosophy, why is the Beat seemingly intent on building their team entirely around older (mostly former) USWNT players? Last season, they had the youngest team in the league until Athletica's players came over. This year, it looks like they will have the oldest team in the league.

So I don't think it's an information problem per se, it's more of a philosophy and details behind the info that I'm having a big problem with.

Personally, I'm still hoping to make the trip down to Atlanta once or twice this season (about 550 miles for me), but....

4. Snail_ATL

Snail_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    At the end of the day, it's about a winning team, isn't it? Doesn't really mean much if you improve fan experience to the nth degree but you're finishing last in the league.

With that in mind, I agree with Cville's points. As fans, I think we can be patient and understand if we're not top of the table (or anywhere close) as long as we feel convinced that the management at least has a strategy to get us there or thereabouts. But what is the management's strategy? The recent exodus of players, the whole signing of Galanis (and his recent comments about how having too many national and international players would prevent consistency...?!), getting rid of the GM, etc... It would be nice to know how to put a positive spin on all this. Otherwise, it just looks like the beginning of the end, doesn't it?

Even from a strictly business point of view, I don't see how this is going to work. It seems like business plan A was completely jettisoned and they're going for the opposite extreme, which is a bit worrisome.

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Cville K C, it seems to me the Philosophy/game plan of the Beat is to stop the $$$ bleeding as much as possible, save as much money as possible and let the rest take care of itself. I imagine the money Fitz lost last season was a culture shock to him, and he's not going through it again.
    He dumped some very high salaries. Solo, was also a very high salary that he didn't want to commit to.

As far as Press and Fowlkes, may have cost him more money as they both have been with the U-teams forever and are likely to make senior teams in the future. Older USWNT players still have name recognition but may cost less.

I really am sorry to say this but everything I've read/heard about ATL Beat doings/transactions this off-season reeks of going on the cheap and hope you can get lucky with a decent team, in my opinion.

6. mona

mona Member

Oct 21, 2003
    I will agree that I dont see the need in having 5 or 6 international players. I think American players are the best in the world and I think if you were to check other leagues around the globe..they would never allow that many foreign players on a team.

Ecaxtly how many Americans have been recruited to play in the new English FA league?

7. Snail_ATL

Snail_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Interesting opinion but I'm not sure I agree. The best (woman) player in the world is Marta. Even if, on the whole, the best players in the world were Americans, the league is still stronger by having those players supplemented with the best internationals from around the globe. It makes for better, more entertaining soccer, and creates a better product. When WPS started, it instantly attracted attention because it had some of the best players from around the world -- it was quite arguably the best women's league on the planet. Only having American players diminishes the appeal of the league tremendously, not least because the quality of the soccer is diminished. The quality of football on display in WPS is the most important thing -- it's already only just at the point where WPS may (or may not) survive financially. Anything that can be done to strengthen it will strengthen women's soccer in this country and in general. If it's weakened, WPS won't survive. People just won't pay and take the time out to go and watch second- or third-rate soccer, IMHO.

8. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will agree that the necessity of allowing six international players may be a bit much. But I don't think WPS can lay claim to being the best league in the world, or anywhere close to it, without international talent. Importing talent isn't that uncommon in other leagues.

In answer to your last question, probably none, since the best American players play in WPS and WPS probably pays more.

Not every team in other countries have many foreigners, but some do. Olympique Lyonnais has players from Sweden, Germany, Switzerland, Costa Rica, and Norway. FFC Frankfurt has Thunebro and Landstrom from Sweden, plus Krieger and Lewandowski from the US. LdB FC Malmo has players from several countries including Kate Gill from Australia.

In 2008, the year before the WPS started, the Damallsvenskan was a virtual United Nations with Marta, Daniela, Lisa De Vanna, Johanna Rasmussen, Ramona Bachmann, Kate Gill, Pavlina Scasna, Mami Yamaguchi, Jenny Nobis, Laura Kalmari, Ingvild Stensland, Natalie Spilger, Kia McNeill, Noelle Keselica, and Nadine Angerer, among many others.

As far as the US having the best players in the world, that point is certainly debatable. I'm afraid that the upcoming World Cup may prove otherwise. The US may have the deepest player pool simply because we are a large country and most colleges now have women's soccer.

Back to the issue at hand, I don't think Atlanta can compete against the rest of WPS without international talent. It would be different if they had the best American players, but they don't even have that. They seem to be banking on beating up on the rest of the league while all of the national team players are off to Germany. I'm sorry, but with the talent that they have right now, I just don't think that's going to happen and even if it did, that's only for a handful of matches.

My apologies for being so verbose.

9. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This is about as accurate as it is going to get. Fitz put up some part of 16.3M for that stadium, a franchise fee and purchased part of STL's roster, and still finished last and had poor attendance. Now...what's the difference if he fields the cheapest team in the league with Mitts (good name and cheap) and a couple of good defenders? I still think he'll pick up LeBlanc. He could play this team in a 3-4-4 and counter, could win more games than last yr, just playing in 1-0 defensive battles . We saw this with Chicago which had a solid defense and no offense and almost made it to the playoffs. Internationals will cost Fitz money. I'm cool with this. If he needs the 2011 and 2012 seasons to balance his books...then it's more power to him. Keep the team alive. That's what matters at the point of development in the league. As the GM of Boston said...it doesn't matter who is on the the field, matters which night you play. And he said that after Marta came to town on a Wednesday night and they had one of their poorest games in attendance that night.

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The idea that they may be banking on beating teams while many of their NATs players are off to the WWC may be true. And...he probably also figures why pay these NATs players all this money when they will barely be around during the season. If that's the case, I agree.

I would venture to guess the only reason Lloyd is there is because her personal coach is now the head coach of the Beat, otherwise she wouldn't be there either.
    The Beat would be made up of mostly walk-ons and try-out players this year.

Why pay Solo big time money when much of the time she will be training and playing exhibition games with the USWNT in prep for the WWC? I wouldn't. She won't be there to be the draw on game day, why pay her?

Now that I think about it, maybe Johnson is on to something.

11. dablackdoctor23

dablackdoctor23 New Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y'all have no keepers signed or even being discussed, and its almost time for preseason. I'd be kind of concerned. Don't think they will pick up leblanc cuz again thats a player that will be gone for the WWC. I like how the roster is looking from the simple viewpoint that its a) cheaper and b) def look to beat teams (i.e. boston) that will be hammered by WNT callups.

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  13. HoosierRay

HoosierRay New Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I have to say I do like for the most part how the team is shaping up. Still no keeper but I am sure that will be handled rather soon. Most seem to see that the Beat just gutted the roster, and they are right. With the exception of a couple players moving on I am rather happy to see some not return. With the best keeper in the world (not my opinion but some), the Beat gave up 40 goals-most in the league. They also scored the least amount of goals (tied with SGFC) with 20/21 (cannot remember exactly). You cannot get very far with that ratio expecially when you average less than a point per game earned. There are still a ton of good/great keepers available and the time will come when they decide if they want to play or have to play. Although I do not see them in the top tier of the league, I see improvements. They signed leadership and experience which was lacking last season. I can see them reaching 24 pts. which is 3 more than last season with less games played.

14. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    LeBlanc is still out there.

15. Snail_ATL

Snail_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    You're right, we gave up the most goals in the league and scored the least. But I'm not at all sure that's because we didn't have the quality of players we needed. I think many would agree that we had some fantastically talented players last season. The problem was that we didn't have any system, we didn't have a balanced squad, and we didn't have a coach that built a team -- we just had a collection of great players.

Shuffling everything up in the squad, and with arguably a weaker coaching staff, I'm not sure how things will improve this season. I'm not trying to be pessimistic -- that's just how I see things. As a Beat supporter, I'm glad some people actually think we're going to be stronger this season -- I just don't see how that's the case.

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Who did they sign as leaders? Cat Whitehill? She's been there a while never known as a leader. Carli Lloyd? Judging from her stint with the Red Stars, definately not a leader, IMO. Heather Mitts? Well....no, not a leader

Just because players have been around for a while doesn't make them leaders.

17. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chalupny is a good leader. But she was there last year so I don't think leadership on the field is as much of an issue as leadership off the field.

18. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree, Chalupny is a good leader. I think that Lloyd is as well. On paper, we may look a bit stronger than last year, but there are only 6 teams this year, so the pool is a lot more competitive, and I don't see us being anywhere close to the other teams. Someone please explain to me why we picked Wright over Press and Klingenberg. Here's to hoping that I'll have to eat my words.

19. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Wait, what? In which areas is this year's team looking stronger than last year's?

I think the fact that we're about two weeks away from the preseason and the Beat only have fifteen players signed up (out of a max of thirty for opening camp) speaks volumes. And seriously, sign a damn goalkeeper already.

20. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, with "on paper", I meant that we actually have a few players that at least used to play for the USWNT and two current players (we only had one last season, Solo). If you look at the defense, I do think that Mitts, Dowling, and Whitehill look a tad bit stronger than what we had in place last season. In midfield, at least we have Lloyd now to complement Chalupny.
    Sorry, I can't even begin to put a positive spin on our offense.

21. ManUFan17

ManUFan17 New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There is NO WAY to spin it - the Beat will be awful. You had one of the strongest rosters last year hands down, and were in last place at the end. Galanis has never coached a team before - he's a trainer who was supposedly very close to Tina and Hope - and they both left. Carli has proven to not only being a poor leader - but could easily be quite the opposite. Plus, she won't be there until after the world cup for the most part. You have no keeper. They made a ridiculous offer to Karina which she turned down. Someone posted that there are still great keepers out there - really - WHO? You need at least five keepers in camp, and sign three - you have none. It will be a long, long season for the poor ATL fans. Very sad, the beginning of the end.

22. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think that we had one of the strongest rosters. We had a few really great players in Solo and Chalupny, some who greatly improved during the season, like Robinson and Rasmussen, and some who could have been great but got injured early on (Heath and Makoski). From my perspective, the fact that we didn't have a good defensive midfielder and a playmaker really hurt us. There appeared to be a gap between the midfield and the defense, which made us vulnerable.

23. dablackdoctor23

dablackdoctor23 New Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What offer is this you speak of??

24. ManUFan17

ManUFan17 New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The rumor is they offered to sign her for a salary that was about a third of what she made last year

25. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Based on reports from Beat fans who attended the try-outs, we may be looking at rookie keepers. Barnhart is still available though, isn't she?