IMPORTANT: Check goals before EVERY match...

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Tarheel Ref, May 11, 2007.

1. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the same light as dangerous goal posts, I have moved and had moved many obstacles left near the playing field. Most common items are hurdles left just off the field by the track teams. I have also moved tables, bags, chairs, people and various other items that could impact player safety.

It's all part of the job.

dadman repped this.
  2. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Clearly anything that has the potential for affecting player safety on or about our field is within our authority and our responsibility. What about beyond that? For instance, I have more times than I can count yelled at kids hanging on a goal well off of my field – but at that point I'm probably acting more as compulsive parent than in my referee role. Of course the knuckleheads are slightly more likely to respond appropriately when they see the uniform ...

This is obviously a matter for application of Law 18, but I'm really just interested in a bit of general discussion of line-drawing in these situations (and maybe a little awareness-raising in the bargain).

dadman repped this.
  3. elonpuckhog

elonpuckhog Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I once had to hold up a game because a kid was crawling on the net of the goal that was being attacked. Kid was no more than 3 I guess. I for sure wasn't going to grab him off the netting, but I was wondering just exactly where this kids parents were at the time.

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Coaching? ;)

J'can, dadman, steever and 1 other person repped this.
  5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Shouldn't he have refused to start the game when the AD refused to move the goalposts?
    If it is unsafe, it is unsafe.
    It doesn't become safe just because the AD refused to move it.

PS: I don't do high school

6. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    NFHS rules make school personel (coaches, ADs) responsible for some thngs that would normally fall on us. Player equipment checks, for instance, consists of simply asking the coach if all his/her players will be legally equipped when the game starts. They also get final say on what constitutes a safe playing environment, IIRC.

That doesn't mean it's morally correct to allow the game to proceed. You could always refuse, just don't expect to receive any more assignments.

dadman and Sport Billy repped this.
  7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Thanks.

dadman repped this.
  8. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Yes, but ... as called to our attention by @Law5 upthread, NFHS rule 1.7 says this about that:
    Perhaps hyper-technically speaking, that can be read to mean that until we blow the whistle for the kickoff, we can't refuse to play the game for safety reasons – but once we do blow, we can and should make that determination if we deem it appropriate.

I arrived for a pair of regional playoff games the other night at a stadium that is pretty much a mess even on a good day; now it had been raining steadily for what felt like forty days and forty nights, and it was a muddy swamp. No problem, home for supper, right? Well, both coaches and the field administrator were standing there waiting for us, and they said "We don't think the field is playable, but our bosses at the county office say we have to get these games in no matter what and we can't call it. Can you do anything?"

Being the hyper-technocrat that I am, I replied, "Technically I don't have authority to call either game off until I blow the opening whistle, and that won't be for another forty minutes. But, well, let me see what I can do." So I took the easy way out and called my assignor, secured authority to go ahead and declare the field unplayable, did so, and we all went home. Everybody was happy except for the knuckleheads at the county office – which is as it should be.

dadman, Law5, Sport Billy and 1 other person repped this.
  9. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I thought there might be something I wasn't recalling. HS season is in the fall here so my NFHS book is tucked away in a drawer somewhere, and it's not available online without paying a fee, AFAIK.

So blow for kickoff, immediately blow to stop play, point to the goal and tell the AD to move it. Yeah that will go over well. :)

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  10. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    I can log into my NFHS account through Arbiter, which then gives me access to online versions of the soccer rules book and case book under the Publications tab. I must be special!

Doug the Ref and dadman repped this.
  11. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Of course you are special! Didn't you get your participation trophy at the pizza parlor?

dadman repped this.
  12. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    At my son's first center for competitive teams, he required that a dead rat be removed from the field. :(

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  13. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I was a spectator at my son's game this morning.

As the game starts, I notice the far goal is not anchored.
    AR in his 50's

Me: So you know, the far goal is not anchored.
    AR:I know
    Me: Then you shouldn't be playing
    AR: If you can find an anchor, you anchor them.
    Me: The weight bags are behind the goal, but not "on" the goal.

AR does nothing

Me: ~shocked~ Walked to far side AR and told him.
    He stopped game immediately and corrected it.

So so very stupid.
    Not only is it a safety issue, but it is a huge liability.

I put him on notice and he did not take action.

That is wanton disregard. It certainly opens him up to punitive damages and may be enough to allow his insurance to not cover him if something had happened.

espola repped this.
  14. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Report to league? Or state association?

15. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES! YES! And Assignor - if you know who it is.

fairplayforlife repped this.
  16. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whole heartedly agree!

17. That Cherokee

That Cherokee Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Report him to his assignor would be the best course of action.

MetroFever repped this.
  18. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially if this is a youth game it should not just be on the referees (although that's a major issue) - the coaches, club, school/park/setup parents as appropriate need to be aware of this too. Even if the referees catch this 30 minutes before a match, something could happen 35 minutes before

nicklaino repped this.
  19. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Something happens with goals and it falls and a kid gets hurt everyone get sued. Coach, league and official and the goal company. Did I leave anyone out?

I tell you why it happened years ago with the kwick aluminum goals. When you bought a set of kwick goal adjustable goals. The fasteners that held them into the ground was also made of aluminum. You had to use a rubber mallet to bsng them into the ground. Those rubber mallets would get lost or stolen. So you used a hammer. The hammer would break the aluminum fasteners. Those fasteners were very expensive so people used other things to fasten the goals.

Then you had kids who loved to climb the goals and the goals fell on them. You know you can't sue the kids. Parents would not like that so the same parents sued the coach. The coach should be sued because once the game ends their attention span stops. They don't watch their players that much after the game.

I am an old man and in all those years I never sued anyone for anything. But I would hire people to look after my interests.

20. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I get to all assignments very early. I like to warm up. I'm old. I need to warm up. I have a ritual that includes running, stretching, walking. I pretty much cover the entire field by the time I'm done. I look for golf balls, big rocks, holes and other things that make the field unsafe. I check the corner flags, and then the goals. I am always the first guy of my crew at the match. Most of the time no one volunteers to go check the goals when they get there. In HS, it NEVER happens. It drives me CRAZY.

21. That Cherokee

That Cherokee Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    90%of the time when I check the fields, the corner flags aren't in the correct spot. I think a lot of field maintenance personnel/volunteers realize there is actually a correct spot for the corner flags.

22. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Half the time when I check the field for HS games the flags aren't there at all.

23. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I rarely have flags missing, but on turf fields in both Texas and Iowa, the little corner flags blow over. For some reason, they weren't designed for windy days - a rare occasion in both states. o_O - NOT!

24. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Yeah, those little hemispheres filled with sand don't stand up (literally) to much of a wind, and after a couple of years of being tossed around they tend to break open and lose the sand anyway.

25. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Trick for medium to low winds: Tie the flag to the pole (using the tail of the flag itself).
    After it falls over again, all you can do is lie it down at a 45 degree angle to the field.

IASocFan repped this.