News: Impact Sub - OGS The New Gaffer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ole needs a Quiorez to handle tactics while he is the SAF aka man manager. Right now the in game stuff is a train wreck. But he’s doing a lot of good things clearing dead wood and integrating youth.

LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  2. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    This clearing deadwood talk :ROFLMAO:

jnielsen repped this.
  3. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    OGS may have some excuses on squad and injuries, but the shambles on defending corners is fully on him.

Even if he has delegated this to one of the other coaches like Phelan, we are not solving clear issues and it is costing us.

Fix it now ffs.

doubletrouble and jnielsen repped this.
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ole should take some strides towards the unemployment office.

LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not surprising in the least. Ole is playing a counter-attacking system that thrives in the press and in early transition.

Having a 3rd midfielder is nice, but being able to press up high w/ the triangle pointing forward means that when Martial presses one CB, the 10 can step up and press the other. When that happens, the midfield steps up. That's one of the reasons Fred (and McTominay prior to injury) have so many ball recoveries. The trigger is a pressing action by a 'lone' forward who gets help from the 10 and James/Rashford are both very hard working and cut off the fullbacks or press midfielders when they filter outside.

It actually is a pretty neat little set up. There's nothing wrong with the implementation of it. We could try something different to help our build up but the truth of the matter is that without a truly creative player and with AWB, Lindelof and McTominay/Matic on the pitch, we aren't breaking down any organized team with patient buildup.

That's why Ole persisted w/ Pereira in a deeper role early in Pogba's absence. He wanted someone that could beat the press and add verticality to our play. Turned out to not be the best role for AP, but he's a more than useful pressing 10.

I've never exactly been down on Ole, but the truth of the matter is that I've been blind to just how shit we are.

We can point to our last title 7 seasons ago and say it is "only" 7 years since we've been a top club. That's horse shit. We stopped being a top club after we sold Ronaldo. We were not competitive in Europe even if Fergie could win the league blindfolded with an arm behind his back.

We've had system issues throughout the club for well over a decade. Our recruitment has been trash, our medical team is useless, our wage structure is a joke and our development of youth until very VERY recently was also apocryphal. You could say the only thing big about United of late is revenue and stadium capacity.

All of that was bad enough, but even the mediocre or competent parts of the football operation were gutted when Moyes came through and jettisoned everything that wasn't nailed down and some that were.

Lets reflect shall we?

Underinvestment in player recruitment for the best part of a decade followed by a departure of talent and a club icon manager and his CEO. Underinvestment became wild spending without any ********ing aim that has led to the type of purchases/sales that any reasonable CEO would fire a DOF for. The squad is in a shambles and we insist on firing managers and lurching from one identity to the next.

Literally from the last 20 major decisions we have made as a club the only ones we got right: keep Martial, buy Fred, fire Mourinho. That's it. Imagine going from LVG to Mourinho and only giving Mourinho a handful of players! Madness. I didn't agree with JMs approach and he was and remains a shit manager but LVG and JM are polar opposites, they can't function with similar players. We fired JM for many reasons but we replaced him with another counter attacking manager who is good tactically, but not a genius. We've got a top half of the table squad whilst spending top 2 or top 3 money.

As much as it pains me to say it, Ole was ********ing right when he said it was a sign of respect when City took our game seriously enough to play some starters in the League Cup. A sign of respect that we are not owed because this club? Manchester United doesn't even qualify to be a joke. We aren't even a banter club. We are a ********ing disgrace and we've been a disgrace for nigh a decade and it is going to get worse before it gets better if we don't appoint a DoF or remove Woodward COMPLETELY from recruitment.

7. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    just on the first part of a lengthy but very good post - i know people don't like 4-2-3-1 and some think he doesn't have a plan other than counter attack but as i've said a dozen times before i don't think our personnel are really only suited to that style. with our midfield it's not like we will control possession or pass teams to death.

now that Fred has been given a proper chance and is starting to come good maybe we can try a 3 when McTominay gets back.

still McTominay Fred Pogba isn't the most complimentary set of 3 but maybe worth a try

johno repped this.
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It really should be unless he makes some remarkable recovery by season's end. Let him run out the string but get contingencies ready, on deck.

Futbol_Head and Amdrag repped this.
  9. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Even when Pogba & McTominay are fit, we'd be short. Scott is a decent longer passer, but he can't beat the press. If Pogba could hit Fred in motion he'd be capable of some penetrative running from deep, but if not, it would just end up putting a lot of pressure on Pogba during build up. He's fine to shoulder that, but he can't then be the creative influence higher up the pitch as well.

Pogba can play in the deep pairing next to Fred if we have a proper 10 or he can play as the attacking mid if we get a DLP, but we need either a 10 or a 6 and realistically we need both. If we can get 120M for Pogba we should. Rebuild the midfield with young players.

In addition to Fred and McTominay, add a genuine DLP/DM add another multifaceted CM. We also need a 10. We also need a loan to a championship side for Garner or Levitt.

I guess if we ended up with a core of DLP X, Fred, CM X, McTominay, a new 10 and AP as his deputy, we could try to bring Garner, Levitt and Mejbri along slowly and maybe in 2-3 years they would be knocking on the door.

11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    After today’s game and how this window has gone, I’ve changed my tune a little on Ole.

I still think there are major questions to his abilities as a tactician and in-game manager, but I don’t think it was fair for me to say he doesn’t have a plan. Everything points to him being swift and decisive on who he wants at this club and getting rid of who he doesn’t. He cleared out guys he didn’t want faster than any manager before him. What failed him was Woodward failing to replace those slots with anyone else. I’m sure Ole gave him a list and he just failed. And I can’t put that on Ole, he did his part.

Sofabloke and Stud83 repped this.
  12. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know it’s hard with a global entity like United, but wouldn’t it be great for the stadium-goers to boycott and protest outside the stadium on a match day? Stay out of OT and march with signs against Woodward. Just stop showing up to games.

I know the Glazers are a part of this but not much can be done about the ownership.

johno and Deadtigers repped this.
  13. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Isn't usually such statements followed by sacking?

jnielsen repped this.
  14. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Exactly. As far as transfer decisions Ole has been excellent. He quicky got rid of players he didn't want, brought in whoever he was allowed to and made a positive difference here for Martial, Rashford and Fred. I don't know if Ole is good enough to lead the team back into contention, but considering his squad decisions so far, I don't see any problem with allowing him to bring in whoever he wants.

johno repped this.
  15. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agree with a lot of what is in here.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why Ole's job at United is safe for at least another year.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...nnar-solskjaer-getting-the-sack-any-time-soon

Something I feel we have to reconcile ourselves with unfortunately, with Ole being replaced more hopeful than anything else at this stage.
    Still don't believe that he's the guy for us long term, and we only have to hope that when the inevitable will roll around, we'll still be able to find a quality manager, one who will also be the right fit for us. And not have to settle for whoever is available (as we did for instance with Mourinho after van Gaal was let go).
    Actually thankful for some of the things he's done, particularly in regards to trimming the fat in the squad and restore the true spirit of the club in some way. But he still has big limitations which have been very evident since he's got the job on a full time basis.
    And with many clubs in the league bringing in top shelf guys, it's time for us to follow suit as well, lest we risk falling further behind. And we can afford to do so any longer: time to pull the trigger and have a replacement (Pochettino) ready for the end of the season.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More confusion. A signing or 2 (starting with Fernandes and a striker even on loan) seems to be a must then...
    [​IMG]

18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If you think the clubs bullshit of backing Ole is 100% true than you are naive. I very much doubt he’s our manager next year.

Futbol_Head repped this.
  19. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whenever this bullshit façade of hopes at a top 4 finish officially end, then he will be on sack watch. Until then we flounder and delay the future.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It sucks that fans are turning on Ole. I’ve never believed he was the man for the job but he’s been given so little to work with and has done well in clearing out players he doesn’t need. It sucks that he’ll be the scapegoat for Woody to save face just like LvG and Jose before him.

thenamestsam repped this.
  23. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As well as player he actually needed.

jnielsen repped this.
  24. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed. I hope this doesn't sour any of the fans view of the guy as a club legend. He did the job he was originally brought in to do extremely well - he cleared the stench of Mourinho, got some good spirit back in the team, got us back to playing with at least a little bit of United DNA.

The shit show that has followed isn't on him. He should never have been appointed permanent manager, and above all else, the limited success he had during the second half of last year should never, ever have been allowed to suggest that the club was on a decent track or that major changes weren't needed to how the club handles recruitment and squad planning. Woodward and the Glazers used two months of good results propped up largely by a run of good finishing luck to launder the idea that everything was fine and dandy to our less clever fans; that isn't on Ole. He's absolutely nothing special as a manager but this team being 5th in the table is right in line with where they should be (particularly given Pogba missing so much time). The state of the squad being absolute shambles just isn't his responsibility.

Deadtigers, J'can, Stud83 and 2 others repped this.
  25. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think he was an easy hire at the time because his form was good and he was pitching an idea of returning to a culture of bringing in youth players from the academy. From Woody and Glazers standpoint, they had a guy that the fans loved, who would never rock the boat because he was given a dream job, and who was going to save them money on transfers by playing kids and they could sell it as a return to the old United culture. It was an easy move for them to give him the job. And now it will be an easy move for them to let him take the fall for their failures.

United 16, J'can and thenamestsam repped this.