News: Impact Sub - OGS The New Gaffer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    It really would be so on-brand for us to sack Ole and replace him with someone with a much worse record since Ole took the helm, with a much better squad, and with the same problems in breaking low presses down.

If Ole was sacked based on poor performance come the January window, then that's one thing. But I don't think he should be sacked because Poch is available.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agree with the take in this vid 100%. Ole has the job right now and he should have a genuine opportunity to show that It remains his for the long term... and he has the remainder of the season to do so.
    If we still see the inconsistency/massive up and down in displays and results that we've seen so far in his tenure, then for my part, we need to go for Poch at the end of the season.
    Not even demanding a trophy yet or even CL qualification for that matter. Of course, if he can accomplish either or even both, then his case becomes pretty much ironclad. But from today until season's end, I just want to see some clear progression not only in the atmosphere and overall play but also in terms of the results as well.
    The team has deficiencies and has had to battle injuries, but it's still better than a midtable team, which is what it has felt like since Ole got the job on a permanent basis.

3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is a good take. I agree with the other poster who said we need to let Ole continue to take a knife to the squad. I think if Ole gets a full season and we've regressed in that time, I'll be happy to say thanks for PSG, thanks for restoring some hope and swagger and so long.

I think the one thing that Ole isn't getting credit for is that under Jose, even when results went well, we were so frequently cowering in our hole a 1-0 win or a 1-1 draw often felt like a loss. We've had a bad run of results now but damn if despite injuries we are at least having a go.

jnielsen repped this.
  4. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    and at least we are usually going 1-0 up in the games not the other way around even if we still don't close them out.

it's not great but it is a base to work from for sure

5. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think behind the scene discussions should happen with Poch to see if he’s interested. Keep constant contact. It’s shady but this is a shady business. But let Ole keep going as is and reevaluate closer to summer.

I’ll admit I’m fully in the camp that a manager needs time to build something here. I’m also in the camp that doesn’t think Ole is the guy to do it. But he shouldn’t be sacked just because Poch is there. But Poch should be waiting in the wings.

6. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I would point out again that I'd be much happier with Poch than Allegri. I can understand how it went wrong for Poch in a way that doesn't mean he isn't a very good manager. I just think Ole's attempting the same style of play in the long run, and the main thing holding him back is the squad, which won't change by appointing Poch.

7. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dont think the ‘wait and see with Ole and potentially get Poch in the summer’ narrative is viable - Poch will be snapped up and. back in a long contract soon.

IF we want Poch over Ole, then it has to happen nowish.

It is fork-in-the-road decision time.

8. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Unfortunately thats not doable. If we fired Ole now and hired Poch fans, media, and even players would probably riot. He hasnt done enough to lose his job and we'd get raked over the coals for not giving him a chance. So it would have to be in the summer. If we talk to him now about joining in the summer (which is what I think we should do), we run the risk of that info leaking out and causing more problems.

Bottom line is, we ********ed ourselves by not pushing hard for him last season when Jose was sacked.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  9. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    :laugh:o_O:eek::ROFLMAO:

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Let me clarify, if we’ve trusted him to rebuild the squad, he hasn’t done enough wrong for us to bail on that plan. I question his coaching and tactical ability, but from a personnel standpoint he’s made a lot of right moves in clearing out deadwood and high wages. Given the lack of support in the transfer market, this season has gone about as expected. If we finish 5-7 it’ll be right where we belong.

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He's helped us cut so much deadwood and played enough kids to the point where I'd almost be willing to give him a shot at a role in recruitment if we hire another manager.

12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    IMO that is not viable because he will be at another club before summer.

Like I said, I am in the Ole camp. However IF the club wants a change, then the next few weeks while Poch is deciding his next move is when it has to happen. Making tough and sometimes unpopular strategic decisions for the long-term is what proper chief execs have to do.

As @johno says, the club could find another role for Ole.

It would be messy, but it is decision time now if we want Poch before he is in another job / multi-year contract such as Bayern.

Dont see it happening - Ed / Glazers priority is to take money from the club so their focus is less on winning and more on keeping things ticking along and only reacting when the fanbase has completely lost confidence in the manager.

13. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I can't see Poch picking a job till March/April, by which time we'll have made our mind up too. We will have already made contact.

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think given we were sweet on Poch prior to hiring Ole who remains a cheap manager to hire/fire, it would be malpractice not to reach out to Poch after he's been fired. I also expect that unless Levy parted with more money than he would have wanted to, there's not an agreement in place preventing him from working again this season.

However, if Poch wanted some time off and there wasn't a hard and fast non-performance clause that Levy could lean on, Poch may have agreed to stay away from managing another team in the prem for some cash.

15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is our last chance to get Poch before he goes to a Bayern, Madrid, etc where he’ll get the funds to show just how good he is. We can’t ******** this up again.

16. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    @MizzouMUFC How do you suggest we approach? we can't sack ole nor he deserves such treatment..

17. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Reach out to Poch quietly, gauge his interest, see how long he wants off/if he’s willing to wait until summer. Then hope that Ole doesn’t go on another ridiculous run where he becomes unsackable similar to last season but he was given the job. Then rather than sacking Ole give him a job somewhere in the club whether it’s coaching or recruitment. It’s gonna seem harsh and we’re going to catch shit, but we can’t keep letting these opportunities to slip by. Just because we screwed up doesn’t mean we have to stick with it.

18. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If Ole went another ridiculous run, doesn't that say something about what hes building?

19. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    still not sold by Pochettino. not sure what people expect him to achieve with the squad that the same supporters say isn't good enough and worse than Spurs under another man who hasn't spent much in recent times.

i see no value in another abrupt end to a manager's tenure to start all over again

CybrSlydr, Rooney20 and jnielsen repped this.
  20. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Poch wouldn't be starting all over again. Ole to Poch is the most like for like transition from one manager to another, in terms of playing style, that Utd have had since the pre-Ferguson era. The message would be the same, the types of players scouted would be the same, the focus on building ahead of short termism would be the same. The difference is in execution of that strategy, in transfer pull, and in tactical acumen.

21. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    So we just hope ole doesnt progress or in simple words screw up so we can get Poch ? Still would be hard on him and dont think he would take the job somewhere in the club.
    We missed out on Kopp and Guardiola so i can relate desperation to get Poch.

22. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dealt a crappy hand in the transfer window with the squad, but ready or not has to now start giving some of the youngsters more of a go - particularly in midfield given we f&&cked ourselves so badly there by not signing anyone and now have McT / Pogba injured and Matic injured/end-of-contract/wantaway.

AP/Fred set a very low bar, particularly together.

Also, give Mason more minutes please.

Gotta learn ....

23. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    he has given youngsters a go. in fact all the players under 23 have been the bright spots + Martial.

it's the seasoned ones that have let us down.

as much as the kid CMs look great in highlights they are not ready for the rigours of the PL. we have to try get one or two CMs on loan in the Jan window. that's the correct move in the short term. probably only one is realsitic at this point.

particularly someone with a buyout clause we can just force rather than getting strung along by any club

24. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Its not a binary thing, I'm not saying he hasn't given some youngsters a go - I'm saying he needs to give some youngsters more of a go.

For example Garner going right back to pre-season was training with the first team but even then got very few minutes.

As with now, some of Ole subs are so late that it is hard for a player to get any realistic experience.

Mason has been another example of this - we let Sanchez and Lukaku go and according to Ole didn't sign a replacement striker in order not to block Mason. However then Mason only gets tiny minutes at the death of games. Fine if you are going to play him as a sub owing to experience, but at least give the guy some meaningful minutes at the end of games.

Similarly we have all complained about some key players being played in minor games and then getting injured.

Playing AP and Fred as a pair today was a fairly predictable car-crash. With Garner and Tuanzebe available then could (and IMO should) have gone with a midfield 3 with one of those two.

Given our lack of transfers and given we have blown this season already to a certain extent anyway, I just want him to give some of these younger guys a few more minutes is all.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  25. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Tuanzebe couldn't start. other option was Jones i guess who started as a mid but is probably equally as bad there now too.

still don't think the CM kids are ready. Greenwood is getting enough mins in the cups. the sub minutes don't give him enough time to affect the game in some cases though