News: Impact Sub - OGS The New Gaffer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    With about the same amount of games now between both periods that his as stark a disparity as there can be. What's mystifying to me is the massive contrast in terms of results and performance levels. Don't buy either that his good period was just down to the change in manager bump. That explanation makes sense for a 4-5gm period or so, but just not for nearly 20 as far as I'm concerned..
    As mentioned, I am still hoping he can somehow turn it around, but that big gap in both the results and the type of football we're watching the team play, is very alarming.
    Go back to what he was doing when he first got the job: play without fear and far more open in a 4-3-3 or in a 4-4-2 and using the players in their proper position, and he has a chance to save himself. Failure to do so and he's more than likely digging his own grave. And in the end, that would be very unfortunate for him given his status at the club.

2. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The window closed on 8/8 and the Dybala deal fell apart on like 8/4 I believe. Pretty sure you could describe that as "towards the end".

3. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It doesnt matter. With how broken our midfield and attack is, I dont see Mandzukic or even Dybala making that big of a difference. We're not 1 player away from fixing our attack.

cachundo and Anonymous_United repped this.
  4. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sure, could be Dybala - that was a strange situation.

Club clearly wanted him, however initially his heart was still in Turin, his agent tried to take financial advantage after which we very publicly walked away.

But then there was then a quote from Patrice iirc about us not pandering to agents which Dybala liked. Which almost seemed orchestrated.

So dunno - but really just want to know who it was :)

Re: mizzou point above, sure - goes without saying, nobody said otherwise.

5. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If I recall right, the whole Dybala situation was complicated due to 3rd party ownership and all those 3rd parties wanting to be paid off. By all accounts he wasnt crazy about joining us either and wanted a giant pay hike. All things we're trying to avoid after the Sanchez fiasco.

6. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    I honestly think his ego has gotten in his way, similar to Mourihno. His last press conference also helped me think that as well.
    I think he said something along the lines that we will continue to play how we are despite it not working

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally do not believe it to be an ego thing (in which it would be very stupid considering things are not good right now being just 2pts off the bottom 3). What it looks like to me, is a combination of fear and stubbornness.
    We didn't play in this boring and very safe style when he first came on board. As a matter of fact, it was very deliberate and clear in it's intent and approach: we went hard after weak teams or the ones that liked to bunker. Conversely, against the stronger ones, we allowed them to dictate play and hit them hard on the break whenever possible.
    It was great and fun to watch. Unfortunately, things got worst and worst once he got the job on a permanent basis. When he first came, he managed like he didn't have anything to lose and it was reflected in how we played. Now, it's like he's coaching scared or overly safe, like constantly going with the 4-2-3-1, eventhough we don't have the right players for it and it not being the setup he used when he was so successful either.
    Thing is though, it's going to end up costing him if he doesn't change some simple and obvious things ASAP. Relegation or being in the bottom 3 is still very much a longshot, even if it can't be ruled out given our form since March. But regardless, just being anywhere near that position is completely unacceptable either.

He may have a lot of rope with the board, according to James Cooper, but I can't imagine being a mid to bottom half table team will keep him his job for very long. Who knows though with Woodward and this board...

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-solskjaer-will-be-given-time-at-old-trafford

8. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know I bang on about central midfield but ....

Yes a number of other factors too, not least burn-out but IMO Solskjaer had a bump over Mourinho initially for the following reasons;

- restored Pogba from the wilderness as a starter

- not just restored him but played him in a midfield 3 in his preferred system as just an #8 but with a #6 in Matic behind and a runner #6/#8 in McT alongside

- lifted the low-block cloud and allowed players to push further forward

Success followed, then the Liverpool game happened and we lost Herrera for a while to injury - Herrera was the key that unlocked Pogba. Pogba became distracted with the Zidane move to Real. Even when Herrera returned, his mind was elsewhere becuase of the contract stuff and move to PSG.

So the season went downhill fast and for me it mainly has its roots in Herrera loss to injury / distraction and Pogba distractions (plus DDG form was appalling).

Fast-forward to the new season and its all about not replacing that midfield and the bizarre move to the 4-2-3-1 system swap.

If we are to salvage anything, Ole has to ditch the 4-2-3-1 and make use of Pogs when he is back by playing him as an #8 with McT as #6/#8 runner and either go with a proper #6 ie Matic or preferably start giving Garner minutes and/or convert one of the CMs to play there.

Not signing a #6 and not signing an #8 or #10 was just effing criminal.

9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I also find it funny that we play in one of the last formations that relies heavily on having a great 10. Ya know, because we don’t even have an average one. It’s no wonder we fail to create any chances.

10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    said i would do this and yes a lot of it has been said before and yes most likely most have made up their minds permanently on this and you can call it making excsues/me being an apologist and whatnot but bear with me and at least consider these carefully beyond an immediate response:

==============

so, a few things have been said, i don't agree with:

Solskjær has no plan - disagree. he's clearly decided on 4-2-3-1 and trying to counter plus building for the future not for the now. just because it isn't working how fans might like it to doesn't mean there is no plan. is it the most optimal plan? hard to say. this group is such a jumble of parts and imo there is no clear way to optimise them. certainly not to get them

Solskjær didn't take the right path to United - disagree. nonsense. what exactly is this mythical path one should take? is his record outside of United stellar? no. mixed bag. no big club experience? sure. can't argue there. but somewhat funny especially when people are calling for Pochettino? he has "attractive" football and mostly done good things but it's no guarantee of success. why would he succeed when LvG and José failed. we had LvG and José - all the experience you want. Solskjær at least won something. maybe you can say LvG was in a slump of sorts/outdated/whatever and José was broken but in terms of path they did it all. fans will always be skeptical about anyone coming in regardless.

Solskjær sold the strikers wtf - disagree to an extent. i'd think he wanted Lukaku out as they seemed to have fallen out. his comments suggested he was going to try with Sánchez again but that didn't happen. why? dunno. i'd guess neither wanted to be here. i expected both to go (permanently) but they looked like they wanted out and because of the clear cleansing of the wage bill. Pogba staying in that regard was surprising but still.

in fact, if you look at it it seems he is against Woodward in terms of transfers and ins & outs. for example, why were Smalling and Jones signed up on long term deals again and then disappeared into the wilderness? likewise Rojo? Solskjær doesn't even have them on the bench half the time. that isn't harmonious or in sync at all. do folks really think he's that lost or dumb that he bought a clear prospect in James to be a bonafide starter? or he was going to promote Greenwood to third/fourth choice attacker?

people think Ole is dumb/confused whatever and that's fine but clearly the strategies are not aligned here. also the transfer backing is vastly inferior to what José and LvG got in their first seasons here.

======================

OK so why isn't it working?

well again, look at what we have. people have described it as relegation form. historically that is way off what is expected. however, for the reality of what we have it isn't surprising if you look at it carefully. like i said in the match thread when you're creativity is based around a past it Mata and Lingard who has never and is not a #10 it's no wonder you don't get goals. couple that with a squad full of players who won't score more than 10 and most not more than 5 is it surprising?

so when you can't score more than 1 most games and still give up 1 goal or so a game you will average a draw or 1 pt. 1 pt per game over a season is 38 points below the magic mark. of course i expect this to change with Martial and Pogba back but it's a huge burden to put on them.recall though, that the team wasn't scoring even under José in season 2 and 3 and we had better attackers like Mkhitaryan and Lukaku then plus the likes of Herrera and the much maligned Fellaini who were both clutch and added a few goals. this is nothing new

why 4-2-3-1?

last year we played 4-3-3 so why change? because it was last year. at first it seemed odd but when you look at this season's squad i can see reasons why.

• not enough midfielders - if we played with 3 mids who would be first off the bench? McTominay or Fred? hardly inspiring

• attackers are sub par - with 4 attackers on the field we have a slightly better chance of getting a goal from players who aren't goal getters.

• midfield imbalance - we don't even have a complimentary pair of mids much less a trio that works. we have doubts about all the mids. even Pogba
    Other reasons?
    • injuries? - where is our physio team on this? seems like a lot of guys are being rushed back. this season the options are so few i expect it to happen over and over but last season some odd decisions were made too

• tactics? - where are Carrick and McKenna on this? what are they adding here? serious questions

• the subs? - why so late? what can a player do with 4 mins + injury on the clock when we are chasing the game? regardless the subs have had no real impact early or late really

• square pegs? - why Lingard "at 10" ? not working. why Rashford at 9? a bit more understanding with this as the bones are that bare. odd to persist with these though

• fitness? - we were the lowest intensity and ground covering team in the league so this makes sense to up those. however, you don't really see a noticeable difference between us and the opposition. in this league being fit and mobile is the baseline. still not buying the running players into the ground stuff. they've had a lighter year under José and this isn't gegenpress we're doing. if the players don't have the quality they should have the intensity. if they can't handle it then we need a whole new squad. it isn't that intense at all. (as an aside - Pochettino likes intense too so not sure how that works with this group if that is indeed the case)

• Paris? - we still don't know what happened there? how did the form suddenly invert there? was the dressing room lost at that point?

• reinforcements? - we know about the wage bill reduction and Woodward meddling etc. why is it going to be different the next time? we're forced to fill the bench with kids and the starting XI with former depth players and loan castaways. at least McTominay is improving but how about Pereira? Lingard? Young is still a thing?
    =================

The Good?

• shielded the kids - this is the biggest one for me. don't overburden them with saving our bacon every time. he's given Tuanzebe and Greenwood the right minutes thus far imo. hopefully Gomes gets involved as well. is it any wonder Chong looks afraid to do anything? he comes on with the single goal of pulling us out of the fire. probably afraid to make mistakes and he's never been the most assertive player anyway

• got rid of a decent amount of the dead weight? - was never going to happen in one window and you're a fool if you thought it would

• improved the mood? - the confidence might be low but it isn't toxic like before and he is always trying to be positive

• the new signings? - not sold on any of them but at least they haven't brought the quality level down
    =================

maybe some may think this is still me making excuses etc. and Solskjær is inept and get him out. OK,sure. but i'll ask again - what do you really expect from this squad? in terms of goals for and against? league placement? cup runs?

what do you really think Pochettino, Allegri or anyone else will achieve with this squad? sure sack and replace again and berate Solskjær until he goes but what's the point? bearing in mind they'd likely have 2 years maybe 3 at most at the helm.

for Allegri/Pochettino/whoever to fail as well and then move on? piss more players off and have them leave? then who do we get as manager? will anyone of the perceived correct level even take the job?

this was a lot longer than i expected but i wanted to try cover most angles with this

jeff070, J'can, Sofabloke and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Yes he deserves time but we shouldnt be this bad and some of his post match comments are far from reality. SAF used to be like that somw times to protect players but he was SAF...

13. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This is all VAR's fault....

jnielsen and Anonymous_United repped this.
  14. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugly.....

Since March 10th:

Liverpool - 17 wins (51 points)

Man United - 17 points (4 wins)

jnielsen and Anonymous_United repped this.
  15. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    The more you look at the stats the more worrying it gets...

LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  16. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Ole's at the wheel... he gets the club :ninja:

Anonymous_United repped this.
  17. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You're hilarious

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That’s actually really good. Lol

20. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    FWIW a number of uk paps saying Allegri is “very close”.

Source supposedly from Italy (ie his agent / a mate) :)

21. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Even if we bring back SAF back there aint muxh in this squad to work with..

22. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There's more to "work with" in this squad than what is claimed here.

We're short on quality, clearly, but we're not that short of being a legitimate top four squad. We are, however, well short of being a PL trophy contender.

We have a top quality keeper, De Gea.
    We have a top quality RB, Wan-Bissaka
    We have one top quality CB, Maguire.
    We have a mediocre second CB, Lindelof. Need upgrade here.
    We have a mediocre LB, Shaw. Need upgrade here.
    We have a top quality CM, Pogba.
    We have a promising but undeveloped CM, McTominay. Stick with the project.
    We are woefully short at 10, Lingard. MASSIVE UPGRADE REQUIRED.
    We have a promising but undeveloped forward, Martial.
    We have a promising but undeveloped forward, Rashford.
    We have a promising but undeveloped forward, James.

The obvious mistakes in the summer transfer window by Ole were believing in Lingard and not replacing Lukaku with an experienced squad striker. I'm pretty sure every single poster here agreed before the season started that Lingard was not up to the task although he has his uses as a squad man. That oversight, the misplaced belief in Lingard as a playmaker, has cost us dearly, although the early season missed pk's and injuries played their part as well.

Point is, either Ole has to be accountable for our relegation form or Woodward has to be held accountable if in fact Ole wanted but was not allowed to buy Bruno of a player of similar quality. But the bones of a good squad are there, but until either Martial and Rashford improve their performances (WTF is Martial is out for, anyway?) or we replace them with proper forwards, we will be nowhere near where we should be in terms of competing for the PL trophy,

23. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    He would be a complete U-turn on the idea of building towards a long term goal. I'd rather we opted for Poch and ran the risk of him already being spent, than getting Allegri and not building towards a specific team identity or playing style. The only positive with getting Allegri is if we can time picking him up with some ambitious January signings way beyond what Mandzukic represents.

24. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There is more then Ole is getting out of it. It is mythical that Ole is doing even average at this point.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States