Impact of Nations Leagues (UEFA original, Concacaf) on World Football? [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You all are right:

There will be no FIFA window in October 2022. What's more, the deadline for releasing players is only one week before the World Cup :eek: Not only does that mean teams will have two friendlies tops with their full squads, but we could easily end up with a Korea/Japan redux with European teams burnt out by the lack of rest.

2. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And as a consequence a poor quality WC.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    By my calculation, they will be way more rested. It's only 3 months into the European season instead of the usual 10.

I am not a big fan of the release of players only 1 week before the WC kicks off. But I guess that was expected given the tournament starts on a Monday.

4. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Indeed; good points.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Not yet mentioned, but the final four of the inaugural Concacaf Nations League are:

Mexico - Costa Rica
    Honduras - USA

How has the competition been received? Unlike UEFA, C'CAF never had issues of its top teams not playing one another often. Where will the final four be hosted? This is small enough to be hosted outside of the US for a change but I doubt C'CAF will change their greedy ways.

6. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    USA vs Canada was a fun matchup that we hadn’t seen for a while in any serious games.

Hopefully it will get better over time with pro/rel as teams get sorted where they belong and we won’t see so many games like US/Canada vs Cuba.

Of course 4 groups and 6 Hex teams means some degree of redundancy in League A, though that might change with the WC expansion.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  7. So how long before Surinam (after their gouvernment invented the sports passport alot of quality players only just not good enough for the Orange team will join them) will win the concacaf NL?

8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO the more realistic goal is getting strong enough to qualify for the 2026 World Cup finals.

9. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Need to see a bit more info to be sure but the description of these "passports" that I've seen doesn't really indicate that they'd be enough to qualify the players to play for Surinam.

Seemed to say that they wouldn't become citizens but rather have to return the "passports" after each fixture. But the FIFA regs talks about "permanent nationality that is not dependent on residence". Might have to go a round in the courts before we get an answer though.

10. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Dutch-born Nigel Hasselbaink has already played two games for Suriname and scored the winner away to Nicaragua.

11. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    And that could be a problem for them...

Being dutch-born isn't the issue. The problem is if they don't actually gain a Surinamese nationality.

12. fero

fero Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Argentina
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe wrong thread but, Scotland and England have diferent passport or is just the british player choosing play for this or that team?

13. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    No one is just choosing. They need the British passport (same for all 4) and then a birth link to the home nation they want to play for (or they can qualify by having gone to school in it).

14. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never got around to updating this...

A mixed bag - Caribbean coaches and players have been thankful for more official games (and the CNL is a far better tournament than the old Caribbean Cup), while the bigger Central American sides lament the expensive trips to the Caribbean and missing out on friendly revenue. The US and Mexico are putting up with it...but Montagliani will have to have a talk with them at some point, b/c I don't see how Concacaf makes a WC cycle with 2 Nations Leagues, 2 Gold Cups and WCQ the new normal without the bigger sides rebelling against the local overkill.

For now...once the WC expands and the Hex is no more, Concacaf will likely make the argument for the Gold Cup and the CNL as where the US and Mexico can still have competitive showdowns.

The Republic of Texas :D in early June if conditions allow.

I see you've forgotten Concacaf's motto: money must be made :cautious:

Which fits with Infantino's worldview: if it don't make dollars, it don't make sense (hence, the Confed Cup and the current CWC format being shown the door).

dinamo_zagreb repped this.
  15. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now this is how you market the Nations League :D

16. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I guess this is the big test we awaited, the time to see how much better prepared countries can be at handling a resurgence (allowing regularly-scheduled football to continue) - and learn if @feyenoordsoccerfan 's justifiable concerns are ultimately well-founded.

17. Hope not:(

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    On a slightly-related note, I'm so sick of the media showing pictures of not-so-crowded beaches alongside headlines about spikes in COVID cases. Such a lazy attempt by the fake-news media to try to capture the virus spreading with a photo. :rolleyes:

Its important that people still find safe ways to enjoy themselves during these times and the picture above is a good example of people doing exactly that.

19. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick q: is there some obscure tournament I may have missed, or does the UEFA Nations League mark the official return of national-team football since the pandemic started?

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Euro under-21 qualifying is starting 1 day sooner. :laugh:

21. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got me - should've said "senior NT football". :D

22. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe what I'm seeing...

Anyone else here in the States please correct me if I'm wrong, but my Xfinity guide says that ABC will show 2 UEFA NL games on Saturday (Iceland/England followed by Portugal/Croatia).

For anyone unaware of how big this is: we're going to have UEFA Nations League on national TV here :eek::eek::eek:

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That's correct. They are really desperate because of the lack of college football. Guess we can expect some Bundesliga and Serie A matches on ABC and more on ESPN once the new seasons kick-off on the third weekend of September.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Those are good games to showcase too.
    Rematches of exciting matches from the last Euro with good quality teams and matches with players people in the USA will recognize.

25. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Anyone know the last time the USMNT played on a major broadcast network (not cable) that wasn't a World Cup game? Who would've thought that Pulisic had a better chance of showing up on a U.S. broadcast network as a national team player if he chose Croatia over the U.S.?