Impact of Nations Leagues (UEFA original, Concacaf) on World Football? [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Mar 27, 2014.

1. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Of course, the UNL is a great product. It will soon become massive.

2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I tune in every night.

And congrats to Gibraltar. First competitive win. Away no less. After Armenia played the Liechtenstein anthem by mistake. :D

Paul Calixte repped this.
  3. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    #253 dinamo_zagreb, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    And that very same Armenia trashes group leader by 4-0. LOL.

Interesting competition so far.

By the way, it is amazing how commentators and press still don't know competition rules. At least in Croatia. :cry:

And I am shocked with Slovenian fall. They are going to get relegated with two games to play. Shock.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  4. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Spain vs England had 5.7 million viewers and a 32% share on La 1 de Televisión Española.

HansWorldCup and Paul Calixte repped this.
  5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Again, when even the grumpy traditionalist media in England embraces the competition you know you have succeeded.

Germany on the verge of relegation after last night.

Paul Calixte and dinamo_zagreb repped this.
  6. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the article shared by @Nico Limmat :

Like you said :confused:

7. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nico777 repped this.
  8. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Mesmerizing 45 minutes of football (as first half was awful). I think Croatia will trash England on Sunday, they don't stand a chance now, after that massive morale boost in the 93 minute.

Happy for Bosnia and Herzegovina, my homeland, to qualify to League A. Prosinečki is doing amazing job, impenetrable defense, as it seems. :D

9. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hot damn, I love this tournament :D

Gave my $0.02 on Twitter on my view of an ideal copycat for the Americas...

10. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Amazing performance by Oranje, they are officially back! They kicked some ass today!

HomietheClown repped this.
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am not sure it is realistic but I would not mind seeing it happen.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #262 HomietheClown, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    I was really impressed by Denzel Dumfries. I have never really seen him play until yesterday. Having him on the right with Memphis on the left can give any team fits.

13. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Regarding the difficulties caused by long-distance travel in any combined competition between South and North/Central/Caribbean, why can they not be resolved by scheduling games at the venues closest to each other?

For example, if Canada plays in a qualifying or NL group with Chile and Paraguay, they could schedule Canada's two away games together in order to reduce excessive travelling.

UEFA - in the forthcming draw for euro2020 preliminaries - has decided, among other rules, that
    • Winter venues: A maximum of two teams identified as venues with high or medium risk of severe winter conditions will be placed in each group: Belarus, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Russia, Ukraine
    This shows how geographical considerations can be accommodated.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #264 HomietheClown, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    I think a combined CONCACAF-CONMEBOL Nations League would only benefit the former, not the latter.

Let's get real.
    People in Argentina, Colombia and Paraguay are not going to show up to see Trinidad and Tobago, Canada and El Salvador.

They would much rather see a friendly or even a scrimmage.

15. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the money's right, everyone wins.

They wouldn't have to, either. The first three would be in League A 95% of the time, and the latter three would spend more time in League B and yo-yoing up every once in a while.

And where, pray tell, would said friendly take place? If anything, a Nations League helps secure more chances for them to see their own NT in person.

Also, Argentina regularly schedules home friendlies against the likes of T&T, Canada, and Haiti already; Costa Rica just got off beating Chile in Chile and are headed to Peru; Bolivia went to Curaçao and got humiliated; etc. We (Conmebol and Concacaf members) already play each other all the time, and Conmebol sides haven't had a problem so far getting people to show up for games against inferior opposition.

kromekote repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    1) Yes Money talks hence I am saying there is a slim chance this can happen.
    2) I am not saying they would have to at first but eventually in a hypothetical world we could see games like that in the future.
    3) The friendlies you mention are either held in the USA or if they are held at home are really not attended that well. Hence I maid my claim.

If it all comes down to money which is your primary point then I could see maybe a tournament in the USA that could get a better bang for the buck.
    Heck the CONCACAF Nations League Semi and FInal Phase is all going to be held in the USA for that reason.
    So maybe that can be an option. (The Home and Away thing not so much.)

17. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sure about that? For instance, Peru is going to play Costa Rica in front of a full house on Tuesday, and the attendance for when they've hosted T&T and Panama haven't been significantly worse than their friendlies against higher-caliber opponents like Mexico or Nigeria.

It would be unfair to bring up Argentina's friendlies against Haiti and Canada, since they were send-off games before World Cup finals. But since you made the initial claim: what empirical evidence do you have that fans in Conmebol nations thumb their noses at matches against Concacaf sides?

(OTOH, if your argument is that they care far more about a friendly against the likes of Spain than a competitive match against Costa Rica: fair enough, but that ship has sailed. Thanks to this UEFA tournament, European NTs are simply not leaving their own continent anymore, outside of World Cup finals and Global Nations League finals if that comes into being.)

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I never mentioned Peru. I never mentioned Costa Rica.

I did mention Argentina and as I said I don't think they would draw well for the likes of T&T, Canada or El Salvador unless they played in smaller stadiums which could work.

You isolate the mini points without focusing on the big picture which is what your first point is. Money Money, Money.

And for that reason alone I think it would make more sense (and cents) if the USA hosted most if not all of the games in a possible joint venture.

19. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no [R] on this thread, so I'll just say in general:

This game (Switzerland-Belgium) is crazy. And this tournament is crazy. And I'm here for it :D

@Nico Limmat

20. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The England Croatia game was good too.

I love the Nations League TBH

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I would like to ask our resident Belgium fan/fans who seem to post a lot around here how the Belgium Media and supporters are taking this crazy loss.

Are they seeing it as a travesty? Or is it more like meh, this is just a made up contrived competition to replace friendlies anyway.

Very interested in knowing how things are shaping up this morning.

22. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No points for guessing how the French are taking it :D

23. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm for Spain and I'm bummed they threw away the group after a strong start.

24. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    This was one for the ages. I have been a fan of the Swiss national team since 1993. I think that is the best I have ever seen us play against an elite team in a competitive fixture. Sure, we have gotten some results against big teams before. But we never dominated like this. And all that after the sleep-inducing Qatar friendly! :D

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Seferović played out of his mind.
    Looked like a Ballon d'Or on that evening.