Illinois State Cup

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by SoccerLad, Mar 5, 2007.

1. SoccerLad

SoccerLad New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    I know there was a meeting today at IYSA to seed the boys and girls state cup team. Does anyone know who got what seeds at all ages boys and girls. My predictions would be as follows:
    Boys
    U13 AJAX
    U14 Naperville
    U15 Wind
    U16 Magic
    U17 Sockers
    U18 Magic
    U19 Magic

Girls
    All Eclipse but U17 Magic

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Prolly. 0-0-6 against Sockers the past 2 years in all competitions, yet two State Cup titles. Go figure.

You need to pick some teams that didn't win last year, though. They won't all repeat. Maybe half of 'em, at most.

3. Celtic3

Celtic3 New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    U-13 Wind
    U-14 Sockers
    U-15 Wind
    U-16 FC United
    U-17 Sockers
    U-18 Magic
    U-19 Sockers

Girls All Eclipse except U-17 Magic

4. SoccerLad

SoccerLad New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    I did not predict the winners, just the seeds that would be givem. The draw is Saturday. Once the draw is done, then we can predict the winners.

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ah well, then going with last year's champs would indeed be a good bet!

At the U14 age, the key is getting seeds #1 through #4. All four of those teams can beat each other, so it's a war once you hit the semis. But you don't want to have to face any of those teams before the semis, so being #5 or lower is pretty close to a death sentence, means that a team would have to beat three of the top 4 teams. Campton had this unenviable task last year, took Magic to overtime and lost on PKs, but had it won Campton would have had Naperville and then Wind waiting. Good luck on that one.

6. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL

U13 is Wind and then everybody else.

7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    As it was last year. The knockout formula is a nasty piece of work, though.

8. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'm certain pitch conditions were more of a factor than the opponent last year.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, I'd say puberty was the bigger factor than the sloppy field. The opponents had a few early adults who could police the box, and the Wind at that time had nobody with the power to hit a good long shot, or the strength to hold off a defender in the box. The game always looked like 0-0 on PKs, and sure enough it was.

The U12 spring year, that's when the puberty kids start taking over the games. They still are now, approaching U14 spring year. An ODP player who is not in puberty might impress 'em at the summer ODP camp, but he'll have a heck of a time making any impact at all in a Midwest Regional League match.

10. mountie

mountie New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Heard a rumor that U19 may have no Magic and no Sockers teams.

11. SoccerLad

SoccerLad New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    I heard Magic is 100% having a team with some Sockers FC players maybe switching to make a run at Regionals/Nationals.

12. Stinky Shinguards

Jul 8, 2006
    IL, Chicago suburb
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Sockers and Magic working together for the benefit of the players?!? Can you imagine the potential quality of local tournaments if they did?

Why don't we call it Sockers and have some Magic players switching? Why is it gotta be under the Magic name? Can't we be a little more creative or do we want to promote MAGIC IS THE #1 CLUB, blah, blah, yada, yada, ding, dong? Better yet, let's call this team, Eclipse.

13. Coach George

Coach George Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Elgin, Il
    No way, I don't believe that.

14. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magic has always had a hard time fielding a U-19 group, but this years group may be an exception. Sockers on the other hand usually have players waiting in line for the U-19 chance.

15. SoccerLad

SoccerLad New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    I am not saying a merge between teams, I am saying some sockers players will go to Magic for a chance to win a state title and not finish 2nd again.

16. Coach George

Coach George Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Elgin, Il
    That's because once the boys leave to college they never want to see this coach Matko ever again.

17. Celtic3

Celtic3 New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    Yo SoccerLad....why is your PM function blocked?

18. mountie

mountie New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Maybe the players finally grew up and told their parents that they can stay home and allow them some final enjoyment in youth soccer

19. beautifulgame11

beautifulgame11 New Member

May 16, 2005
    Not at all true...ure talking out of body parts other than ure mouth again. u really do hate matko, its to bad, it clouds your judgement on any subject involving him, and you dont come with rational analysis. for instance...not every U19 team is coached my matko, which blows a huge hole in your theory...but dont let that get in the way of your lashing out, go on...

OHHH one last thing...Magic dont have U19 teams every year for a TON of reasons...some dont want to play for Matko or Hannan thats true, but the vast majority dont play because of PDL, or staying in the area of their college team during the summer.

20. beautifulgame11

May 16, 2005
    Is anyone planning on posting seeding for state cup once it is released? I think there are several people on this board that would appreciate anyone that has knowledge on it, to post the results. Thanks.

21. Coach George

Coach George Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Elgin, Il
    What the hell body parts are you talking about buddy… spit it out because if it is what I think it is, you are the one with the hard d*ck for him.
    Yeh you are right, I hate this Matko guy for a thousand reasons I have observed and the brilliant youth careers he has destroyed but you are too much of a narrow mind to understand. But I cannot go into it further because this moderator will chop up my post (laughs menace).
    Magic has a very difficult time fielding U19 teams because nobody wants to be coached by this guy after they leave. You have a hard time understanding this? Your reasons of PDL or staying in the area of college is ignorant.

22. Coach George

Coach George Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Elgin, Il

The State Cup draw is Saturday, March 10th at IYSA.
    The number one seed in each age bracket is last years State Cup winner. The runner up of last years State Cup will be in the lower half bracket. Good luck to all teams.

23. beautifulgame11

May 16, 2005
    All you do is toss insults at people, be productive and do some research. The mod even gave you Matko's email if you wanted to address him about the over the top claims you made about him, and then u pretended not to know him lol, cute. I understand the coaching rivalry and all that...but come on seriously, it clouds your analysis of any subject involving the Magic, the Sockers, and now even on the State Cup board...kinda extreme dont you think?

But this is not the place for that discussion...my only point was that @ the U19 level at Magic Matko is not always the coach, Hannan also coaches teams at that level, depending on the year, so the coach may be a contributing factor in why players dont play at U19, but it is not THE reason.

OK back to state cup, try not to hijack this thread, I believe more than just the top 2 teams get seeded for state cup. I know this because the seeding already took place, and I cannot imagine they take the time to do that if it is just to seed 2 teams, when those 2 teams are just the state champion and runner up. Does someone that actually KNOWS whats going on, want to put up the seeds when they become available. Thanks.

24. SoccerLad

SoccerLad New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Coach George, since you know all tell me the last time the Magic did not have a team at U19 in the state cup besides last year ??

25. Gazoomba

Gazoomba New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Coach George is YM. That why he has a tough time, he just cant live with his current nitemares.