Illegal rugby studs?

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by Adidas Fan, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Adidas Fan

Adidas Fan New Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Norwich, England
    I would like to get some views on a subject that has been ligering in the rugby community for some time now. As we all now the game is played under IRB regulations and that includes equipment and in this case boots. Many people are of the opinion that forwards should wear 'forwards boots' (hi ankle, etc) but i believe that times are changing. Now more than ever forwards and indeed backs are turning to soccer boots instead of the heavier rugby boots. But with this change comes a snag, not many soccer boots conform with IRB regulations. In this case i would like to hear about the Adidas Predator range, it has been said that the metal blades used on these boots are unsafe and should not be used however i believe that in July 2002 (i think) the IRB carried out a testing period whereas they looked at the performance of the stud and tested it's safety.
    The results of this test meant that the IRB actually changed their regulations, the metal screw in studs as used on the Predator Precission and again on the Predator Mania were made legal to use. But only if they were not scuffed and jagged. Yet even though the regulations were changed some refs will not allow the boots to be worn, can i have some views on this? And wot about the new Adidas Predator Pulse, they now have a new metal clip in blade, however this time the studs are more rounded, so these should in theory be legal?
    I would like to hear from refs, players, anyone who has experiences with these boots to tell me about wot is going on.