Ignore the blah, blah, blah - the Paul Pogba thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps because Pogba when it's all said and done is simply a much more complete CM than Riquelme ever was. Riquelme was a terrific player, but he's the perfect example of a player who needed to be catered to, in terms of the players he had around him and the system in which he can be effective and at his very best.

2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pure 10s like Riquelme are the exact type that have to be catered to in order to flourish. Only some systems use them and pure 10s usually dont transition well to surrounding positions like out wide, up top, or dropped in as a CM. Look at Ozil for example. In a setup as a 10 I still think he'd be great. But setups that include a 10 are becoming rare and out wide typical 10s dont have the pace or workrate to deal.

3. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    @Ashur Every player needs certain type of team mate to flourish it doesnt undermine Pogs but without Herrera tireless running Pogs loosing free would have been a risk. I thought the post was in negative vibe but after reading all the comments its actually opposite.

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not disputing the argument that all players need the right players around them to perform at their best, I've clearly said so before. But some in that department are more specific and "needy" than others.
    Again, Riquelme is an absolute terrific player, but at the end of the day there were great limitations in how and who he could be used/played with in order to see him at his best. Pogba in that regard is far more adaptable and versatile than Riquelme was. That is simply a fact and not a knock against Riquelme: it's just the way it was with him.

5. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    With that i completely agree he is more complete player than Riquelme, its pity his few yrs were wasted by Mou.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anonymous_United repped this.
  7. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    No one in history has been given the level of freedom you are expecting Pogba to have.

Even if he scores 20 goals and gets 20 assist (the numbers a player without restrictions should get) it still doesn't give him the license to try megs and sombreros on his own end line.

incighte repped this.
  8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is a confusing post.

I don't sanction him taking undue risks in our final third. I do sanction him trying to play out. Please note that he's not nearly as prone to doing that under Ole because a) he's being used as an outlet more and b) we have movement. Part of the reason he got caught in possession was that he didn't follow Jose's instructions to just lump the ball forward and kept trying to play the ball out from the back. In our system with no movement, that was a bad idea, but I'd argue that lumping the ball to Lukaku was also a bad idea. An even worse idea was benching our best player.

Even if I was asking for Pogba to get whatever imaginary levels of freedom you say I requested, in 11 games he's got 8 goals and 6 assists. Over the course of a season he'd piss all over 20/20 from a great height.

To my recollection, I don't want him marking on set pieces and I don't want him to be responsible for tracking runners to the byline. Doesn't make sense to me given he's an elite outlet and probably among the best decision makers on counter attacks in the world.

9. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    you constantly made excuses for him when those things did happen.

You said you have to Live with Pogba taking risk.

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We certainly do. Very few players play without risk and certainly very few elite players. I said he should avoid undue risks. Dribbling in front of our box etc is a problem. I don't want him in front of our box (like on the edge of the area) except for when he's recovering to help quell a break. In best use, he will play the way you would expect a team's most creative player to play when the system has 2 more defensive midfielder and 4 defenders.

I really don't see what the issue is beyond you trying to score some points.

benni... repped this.
  11. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    No issue.

You just clarified.

12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think it is fair to say he was (at times) poor under Mourinho. I think the same could be said for pretty much every player. There were ABSOLUTELY bad decisions Pogba made that were his own doing, but when everyone is playing poorly and the results are bad I think we have to hold the manager more accountable than the players. I think France showed he could play if not mistake free football, a more controlled version of himself. I think the argument was made to him that they would let the attackers take the risks and try to win the game and the back 6 would just be solid. It was clear he bought into that. Given that Mou was supposed to be a players' manager it is really bad that he wasn't able to get the players to buy his vision (even if it was flawed).

girrdib and benni... repped this.
  13. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [emoji57]

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Scary for other teams is that while his numbers are absolutely popping right now, Pogba still has more to give.

16. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's almost as if creating a performance culture within the squad matters more than all the memes about individual players "mentality"

Futbol_Head and johno repped this.
  17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We all know his performance improved when his hairstyle did. He's basically Sampson.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  18. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Oh shut up.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    JC7rox repped this.
  21. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lol @ Carragher.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Is that Dave in the background wearing black panties? :ROFLMAO:

johno and Anonymous_United repped this.
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lukaku is wearing them too at the very end of the vid.

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States