Ignore the blah, blah, blah - the Paul Pogba thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Rubbish player. Waste of money. Moments player actually. Remember that? LMAO.

Naboomagnoli, Pulp, girrdib and 3 others repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Purely from a stats point of view alone, this will be his best season ever. But beyond that, his game has taken a whole new dimension this season, in terms of his influence over games and quality as an elite midfielder and player.
    This is exactly what we hoped to see from him going into the season and he's responded. Can only imagine where he'd be if Mourinho had gone much earlier.

United 16 repped this.
  3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    it's a shame we wasted 3/4 of a season with him in a midfield 2 and even more time with him on the bench

johno repped this.
  4. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Claude Puel on Pogs...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ba-huge-reason-Manchester-United-revival.html

benni... repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    He has become leader of Jackson Tribe .. Wish we could add Bailey aswell to complete Jackson 5.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    The shackles are broken and Messiah has arrived..

9. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    United Legend in the making.

10. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Futbol_Head repped this.
  11. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Are Scholes and the like out there praising him? They were pretty quick to want to run him down when things were low.

johno and NYCTomek repped this.
  12. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who gives a ******** what Scholes thinks

Chaz Striker repped this.
  13. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Scholes is still a United legend and his opinion matters. But he was wrong to side with Mourinho and trash Pogba.

14. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
  15. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To think the stats this guy would have by now if he had a manager that knew how to use him properly the last few seasons...

Anonymous_United repped this.
  16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #MomentsPlayer

I should really start calling out people by name with regard to their rating of Pogba. God, there were people who thought dembele was much better.

17. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That wasnt the point made wrt Dembele.

18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There were ABSOLUTELY people who said Dembele would be a better player for United and that Pogba was only a 'moments player' who couldn't do things that most other central midfielders could do. I specifically remember someone saying Dembele was better against the press and as a result better for his team's attack.

19. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't remember who said that but I will step forward and say that as much as I rate Pogba and what he's done, I did call him a player that needed to be catered to in midfield with how its setup. I still think thats true. But not because of how he played under Jose, because Jose was actively sabotaging him. I just still think he needs a certain amount of protection and freedom to allow him to be dominant. He's not exactly tactically flexible as a player even though he can do a job in other roles.

johno and incighte repped this.
  20. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    There's a bifurcated reason why Ole said he'd build a team AROUND Pogba.

First being his talent.

Second being that he is a niche who needs pawns set around him to polish his work.

21. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    This again. Pogba is not Riquelme, stop acting like he is.

J'can and Ashur repped this.
  22. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Are you referring to my post?

If so, the jump in logic you made was... dramatic and it insinuated a lot of things that weren't said.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2273 Ashur, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    The argument that Pogs needs to be catered to in order to get the best of him is way overblown. His proven versatility alone is a perfect illustration of this. His role with the French national team is completely different than the role he has at United under Ole. Yet, he's been exceedingly efficient and just class in both situations.
    Players, even top shelf ones, need not only quality, but players deployed in the right way, so they can showcase and maximize their own talent. Something common to all team sports and Pogba is no different in that aspect. Point of fact, Pogba is probably one of the more adaptable midfielders (and players) there is at this time...

24. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    If he continues to be consistent then why he cannot be compared to Riquelme and remember LVG destroyed him by putting him on wings for Barca..

25. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is a valid criticism. However there are very very few players who are world class at the CM position who can be used in multiple ways.

Scholes, Alonso, Schweinsteger, Kroos, Modric, Xavi, Lampard, Gerrard like these guys were all great but pretty much could only be used one way. The exceptions are Schweini who played as a winger at the start of his career (but then was played as a DLP almost exclusively) and Gerrard who could play in multiple roles doing the same thing.

Maybe someone like Ballack was the exception as a world class midfielder who could play multiple roles at a super high level and didn't really need to be catered to.

To my knowledge though, midfielders who contribute significantly to attack either with ball progression via passing or running tend to get to do whatever the hell they want because it is such a vital attribute. Midfielders who can progress the ball at a high level, create chances at a high level and score at a high level aren't actually a common occurrence. Lampard, Gerrard and Ballack are the examples that played in the prem in my recent memory and Lamps and Ballack were significantly less creative than Pogba is or Gerrard was. Going back a bit further, Scholes as a "striker" when he first made it into the team was that type of midfielder who was catered to for his contributions. I guess when Giggs was playing his roaming/floating role ahead of a pair of CMs he was doing what Pogba is doing now, but with more elegance and less effectiveness.