Ignore the blah, blah, blah - the Paul Pogba thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real talk though: who on the United team is on the highest level (or even close to it)? Even Dave is not consistently at his best right now. Shaw, oddly enough, might be the exception right. Smalls might be the another, but that's pretty much it. Dalot and AP are incompletes because they've had so few appearances...
    By and large though, everyone else is either average, mediocre or they're just terrible. The players do bear some responsibility, but when the majority appear lost, something else is going on.
    Not letting anyone off the hook, but the truth is until we get rid of Mourinho and bring another manager, it's a pass of sorts for the players and any real judgment of their displays. The player selection and the setups are shit and until we get a new manager, with some fresh ideas, ready and able to use the players in an optimal way, there's only so much criticism the players deserve as far as I'm concerned.

jnielsen and Naboomagnoli repped this.
  2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    The video brings up the same point that has been made about Pogba since he was in the reserves.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2003 Ashur, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Point is, while I'm not a Pogs apologist, I believe we've got a great player. He's shown glimpses of his quality with us and he's shown that under the right manager or system, he can produce.
    We're not going to see the best of him under this regime, with the putrid football we play. I want to see him under a different manager before passing a final judgment on the guy.
    Maybe the day will come that the best option will be to sell him. I'm not there yet though...

Edit: We allowed Pogs to leave once and I don't care what anyone says, it proved to be a mistake on our part, as he clearly flourished and was very successful with Juve (he was part of some great teams, but he still played his part).
    The last thing I want to see is us cashing in on him too early and see him once again, be successful elsewhere. And all because we weren't patient enough or truly put him in a position to succeed? That would simply be beyond embarrassing IMO.
    The course is clear: get Mourinho the eff out and let's bring a forward thinking, progressive manager who will energize the talent on our team and make the best use of it overall. And we'll see where it goes from there.

4. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There have been times earlier this year when Pogba was at fault for his poor contributions. However at present Pogba is being sabotaged by Mou tactics.

Today was a great example - looks like Rashford and Sanchez were told to stay wide and stay in their zones which limits their runs, Lukaku playing as a lone striker is being marked by two CBs, Pogba is given Fellaini to play alongside who barely offers himself and the full-backs are also slow to get forward.

So Valencia mark Pogba as our only creative influence in midfield and when Pogba does finally get the slow ball from Matic/Fellaini there is nothing on. There is also little movement as it appears players are restricted in being allowed to leave their zones as once again Mou was too scared about the counter-attack.

We desperately needed a runner in midfield today such as Fred to play alongside Pogs, but we got Fellaini who was clearly the wrong choice from Mou.

jnielsen and Naboomagnoli repped this.
  5. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I refuse to condemn anyone as good enough or not good enough at the current time. This club is broken at a fundamental level which makes it hard to judge anyone.

johno, jnielsen, omar_mufc and 1 other person repped this.
  6. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I can’t watch that video atm but I know what I’m expecting it to say. I’d love to see how the ******** prime Paul Scholes or Kevin de Bruyne would single handedly save this club by being plonked in the middle instead of Pogba. Jesus wept.

Even looking at Chelsea over the past 5 years, I have no idea how people can’t figure out that the state of our performances individually and collectively is down to the management of the team.

7. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    According to club release Barca have made €11million profit with wage bill of €663million and the revenue of €991million. Laliga sets the salary caps against revenue and Barca are on maximum end of that Cap. Pogba move highly unlikely.

8. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Would anyone disagree with the sentiment that since his arrival Pogba has been, overall, our best outfield player? Not talking about comparing him to the price tag or to what we expect of him given his talent, just to the other guys on the field. I don't really see how you could disagree with that statement; frankly I'm not even sure who else would be a contender for that title. Even Mou, desperate as he is to paint Pogba as the villain in his story can't leave him out at the moment.

Given that, and how broken the team around him has been for much of that time I think condemning him would be pretty foolish. Lets first get the other players working both individually and collectively at a level where there's someone, anyone else in the team consistently putting in performances that approach Pogbas in quality and then talk about whether he himself is doing enough.

When the team is playing poorly the best player is always going to be a lighting rod for criticism. Doubly or triply so when that player is Pogba who attracts extra scrutiny for reasons both fair and unfair. I feel it is always worth reiterating in such instances that the best player is usually far less to blame than many others (the worst players for example).

Chaz Striker repped this.
  9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Edgar Davids talking. Never anything but a terrier. Not even a quarter the talent PP is. I can stand Scholes talking shit even though he's never been in a team this bad. But David's? psssshhhh. That's funny.

10. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    At least, Davids knows what it is like to actually coach a team.
    Not succesful at it, but at least, he has had that experience.

The other, in his life has ever coached any team on its own.:rolleyes:
    All he is good at, (after retiring as player), is talking (mostly crap), about others.:thumbsdown:

It will always be more easy to talk crap, than to actually help giving good advice to others.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So I guess Jose is leaving us.

13. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    but thats the problem isnt it? everyone agrees that pogba is way more talented thsn davids... but can you say with confidence that he is better, more productive? i can't.

benni... repped this.
  14. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    all i get from this is that mino and paul are not getting their move to barca. i dont think paul will stay just because mourinho is fired.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 things to keep in mind. First, that Woodward has made it clear that he will not let Pogba go. And with him being under contract for a few more years, he's got some leverage.
    Also, who can really afford Pogba: Barca can't, neither do Juve unless they make some big moves of their own. And then there's PSG, who ATM are being investigated again for FFP violation. They can afford Pogs, but there's no way after Neymar and Mbappe, that they would not be in breach of FFP if they added Pogs.
    United are the only club at the moment who can afford Pogba and Raiola is perhaps thinking about starting proceedings for a new deal. Pogs will clearly outlast Mourinho, that's hardly in question. But more importantly, for the time being, it may look like Pogs does not have much in the way of viable options at this time. And United, for the money he and Raiola want are still their best bet.

16. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
  17. halfnhalf89

halfnhalf89 Member+

Aug 19, 2008
    A guy who has played for the Dutch NT, Milan, Barcelona, Juventus, and Inter must not be good at all :rolleyes:

Ashur and benni... repped this.
  18. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    I would have Edgar in a heartbeat.. We lack characters like him on/off the field.. He wasnt magician but he was one of the best DMF..

benni... repped this.
  19. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You left out real and Bayern. They can afford him.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bayern have never historically paid the kind of money Pogba would command. Not to mention CMs are the last thing they need at this time: look at their central midfield stable...
    Real could potentially afford him, but the emphasis has been on teams rumored to go after him. Real are still yet to show any real interest, plus it stands to reason at this time at least, that forwards is what they're looking at first and foremost...

21. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's because you are a crazy person. Davids ran fast and tackled hard. He was a more in shape, smarter but less talented (outside of shooting) version of Anderson.

22. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    you want to protect pogba of all criticism so bad that you're willing to disparage great players and make insane comps. it's cute or sad, im not sure. maybe both.

benni... repped this.
  23. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not true. I've criticized him myself. I just think Davids was a very overrated player who lacked the passing range of even a Darren Fletcher.

Pogba had an entire reel of footballing moments today that were beyond anything Davids was capable of. That point remains. Pogba isn't perfect and he absolutely has flaws, but to question whether he's a better player than Edgar Davids says a lot about you, not Pogba.

24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anyone notice Pogbas celebration of the winner today? That’s because there wasn’t one.

25. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    my question was very clear. you're moving the goal post avain in talking about what pogba is capable of, his highs.

it's very weird that youre taking offense that someone that has had a great career like davids can criticize pogba's overall production.