Ignore the blah, blah, blah - the Paul Pogba thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yep, he's a hypocrite. He blasts his players in public and then gets offended when one of them does the same to him.

Deadtigers repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah you and I have discussed this before.

Sometimes the lowest base number is used, but sometimes the maximum possible number is used for hype purposes. At the time the main transfer number was hyped but virtually all the articles didn't mention what his pay was. Presumably because it was a lot less than Zlatan / Rooney

So far as I can make out the base is 160k which became more like 200K for CL football.

Endorsements is a whole different kettle of fish and we know it was significant on this transfer to unite a key brand star with a key adidas team in a key market. i think Utd usually takes the endorsement cash direct, but then shares with certain players more than others - this was also a part of enticing van persie and is a way pay can be increased but of course then the player can't do side commercial deals directly (at least that is my understanding)

The comparison to Ozil / Alexis is of course not easy because both of those guys essentially took huge free agent incentives to sign on.

So their bases might be closer to the 250 range but there are likely to be tens of millions in sign on fees spread over their contracts.

4. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    100 pct. the timing was not ideal from pogba but its completely fair to respond publicly to public criticism.

EDIT: with that said, i still don't think mourinho is central to all of this. i think pogba wants to go to barca, point blank.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tabloid and ABU British media is stepping it up, with claims of the relationship between Mourinho and Pogs reaching an all time low, after some kind of bust up between the 2. Lol...
    Even with Barca conceding that Pogba is out of reach for this window, but of course even that is not enough to stop talk of a "possible" move to the Camp Nou in the next couple of weeks.
    Will make for a long year if the club is having to put constantly out imaginary fires (and BS stories)...

www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/11473843/manchester-united-rubbish-paul-pogba-jose-mourinho-rift-reports

6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's not 2006 lad

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1707 Ashur, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Putting aside the fact that United are no longer the dominant force, on the pitch, in the English game, they still are the biggest club in the league. That hasn't changed, and stories concerning United are still the ones that attract the most attention.
    The ABU section of the English media hasn't just disappeared overnight, nor have they changed either. If anything, with United no longer being who they once were, the incentive to seek and put out stories putting United in a bad light, is probably even greater. United still sells, one way or another, laddie...

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Exactly - so on any rational media analysis, the bias is towards Utd. Not against Utd. That is how media bias works.

It's an entertainment business and thus stories will feature the biggest names.

The idea that there is a section of the media who try to get United to fail by writing bad stories about them is a silly conspiracy created by SAF.

I have never seen any evidence for the idea that Utd get more than their fair share of negative coverage.

Or maybe the incentives are for an agent to seed stories in the media to make money

Or maybe the incentives are for a manager who for the last decade has used strategic PR as a weapon to seed stories to support his political machinations me laddo

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There does not need to be a "pro-United" bias for stories to sell. One could argue precisely the opposite, especially in the current context that a section of fans and reporters are basking in the fact that United have been going thru tough times. And therefore any press, good but especially negative, will create buzz, generate attention and therefore will sell.
    In regards to the current situation between Pogba and Mourinho, I'm looking forward to Mourinho's press conference tomorrow, as it should give us an idea one way or another, of where things actually stand.
    Personally, I believe there is a rift (ongoing from last season), but at this time, I doubt the talk of "a recent bust up" that has the relationship at an all time low, with Pogba demanding or wanting to leave. I believe it is being sensationalized, because at the end of the day, that is what generates more click or sells more papers. Looks pretty straightforward to me.
    Not for nothing, but you, of all people, speaking of "silly conspiracy theories" is funny to me, it really is, pal...

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Trump dominated media coverage during the election. Most stories were negative. That is an example of a media bias in Trump's favour. i.e. more than his fair share of coverage.

In reality most stories about Utd are positive but you guys just focus on the negative ones because that is what fans do.

There is no conspiracy.

Of course it is being sensationalised. This is a multi-billion pound media rights business!

Jose has always been the master of giving the media red meat - it's what he does and why he gets so much earned coverage.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's false and you know it. Maybe in the past but this year they've clearly all had a negative tone/outlook.

13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    i think the tone and outlook are pretty much to be expected given performances. The criticism of Pogba was probably excessive compared to his performance level but we see this with every A list star unless they log epic data.

Look at Guardiola - the media jump on him if he screws up even slightly. That's just how it is.

I do agree the end boss type teams with no hope of winning will usually be hyped up - spurs/liverpool/arsenal

Meanwhile at Utd you have woody briefing against Jose, Jose briefing against Woody, and Raiola briefing about Barca

Why do the media need to make up stuff? They are being handed it.

Angry Dad has sourpussed his way through pressers and you better believe his agent is in the background.

14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Are you kidding me? The media has given Pep and Klopp so many free passes for shit they've done. I don't like Jose at all, but he's treated much more harshly by the media than 99.9% of the other managers because of his past and his demeanor.

Pep has verbally attacked referees, other teams players, his players, and gotten in tunnel fights etc. but he always comes out as being the good guy in the media. Pep pushes another manager but nothing is made of it. But Jose kicks a water bottle on the sidelines and his given a touchline ban and the media are all over it. The past season all you heard about was how much of a genius Pep is, but nobody seems to want to bring up that he's never been successful without having the most talented team in the league and without having the most money to spend.

Klopp is even worse in terms of his antics and getting a pass from the media. He has spasms on the sidelines and the media says he just passionate or charismatic. He constantly calls out referees and other players.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one but you is talking about a "conspiracy" for the record. That a section of fans and by extent the press are anti-United is pretty much a fact.
    That United driven stories (positive but especially negative) are still the bread and butter and big ticket item of the British press (regardless of the fact that the club is not doing as well on the pitch) is also factual.
    In this case, as slimy as Raiola can be, I don't believe that Pogba would accept Raiola leaking a story of a bust up with Mourinho, resulting in their relationship reaching rock bottom. That is sensationalist, tabloid and ABU driven bullshit.
    But as mentioned, we'll find out soon about the veracity of those reports, or at the very least get an actual feel for what's happening between Pogs and Mourinho in tomorrow's press conference...

16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The idea that most coverage of United is favourable is horse shit. United were second in the league and it was assumed we had worse seasons than everyone around us. United are in disarray having only won a handful of trophies in the last few seasons. Liverpool however aren't in turmoil. Spurs have maybe 2-3 years MAX before they lose Delle and Kane and Son for various reasons. They've yet to win a trophy trophy but nobody says Poch is under pressure. United haven't been a top side in a decade. We probably still have as many trophies in that decade as our rivals but the only one of those with a reasonable evaluation of their performances is Arsenal who have been seriously underperforming.

17. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I don’t see there being an especially ABU stance in the press now. There has been in the past, when we had more bastards, played up to being villains and SAF used it to make sure we kept domination big the Prem.

But nowadays it all seems in keeping with what I’d expect from the press of any high profile side in our state. We’ve suffered a sustained period of being shit to watch, or following up a good game with a collapse - there’s some hurrying along of narratives by the press but mostly we’re handing them negative headlines on a plate.

18. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I’ve always thought that Liverpool had a better season last year than us, because of the position it put them in for this season. Beating Spurs and Pool to 2nd place was utterly pyrrhic.

thenamestsam, J'can and Dirichlet repped this.
  19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I don't see any of that as being ABU

It's a football league - if you don't win the league and you are the biggest team - especially 5 years in a row - then you aren't meeting expectations.

And as I already mentioned, the end boss teams will be hyped up every year despite never being likely to win. it is after all a global media rights business based on drama

I do agree in the later SAF era there was a desire to dance on his grave - often prematurely - we see that with Pep now.

While he wins he's a genius. If he doesn't win then its straight into the Fraudiola routine.

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Exactly.

The spectre of Woody briefing against Jose's transfer strategy is not what happens if all is well. Nor is Angry Dad moping about in pressers or the teams best player linking himself to Barca

These things are being driven by the participants themselves.

Especially Jose always does this.

21. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    FYP ;)

22. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United = clicks simple as. Except for local media United are rarely written about in a positive tone. Take this transfer window for instance City(although they may get a free pass) Spurs and Arsenal all had worse windows than us but all the media talk about is United’s failure to sign a CB.

23. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is the worst thing you've posted on this forum. It's a complete lack of understanding of the English media (currently) and of what is going on at the club.

There is next to nothing positive being reported...because there are many issues with the club and it's management. I don't have a problem with a lot of the things the media are bringing up at the moment, because they are real issues that are obvious for everybody to see.

We are the most criticised football club on the planet at the moment (with good justification)...your assessment is flawed to a point where you either know nothing about our club...or just trying to get a reaction.

doubletrouble and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  24. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Well all Jitty is saying that the press is not particularly ABU at this point.

Most of the negative press is self inflicted.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  25. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's fair. Then why say we are ignoring the positive? There is no positive.reporting on our club.