Ignore the blah, blah, blah - the Paul Pogba thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Do you have a source?

Because Pogba signon deal at Utd was widely quoted at around 160k

cr7torossi repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even in the first year of his contract, I find the sum of £160k/wk, extremely unlikely.

www.totalsportek.com/money/manchester-united-player-salaries/

Different sources claim the same figures for Pogs. Sanchez here is quoted at 350k/wk, where others claim he's at close to 500, so who knows there really.

3. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    But this is the problem. Back at that time 160k was realistic and it was the figure widely quoted.

It seems to have been hugely inflated since then but my research tends to indicate he is on basic of around 200k now utd is back in the CL

Higher figures include endorsements

Also as quoted at the time his agent takes a % of his pay

So it seems he is in fact significantly underpaid until he strikes a new deal

4. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    that would make sense. i wonder whos the best paid cm. i dont think it would be wise for united to throw neymar/messi money for a midfielder (if thats what mino is.looking for).

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So show this documents or sources, because I just do not believe it. The salary reports for 2016-17 show the same thing. Would be odd for Pogba's salary to be almost doubled in just one year. Even if he goes up incrementally (as it can be reasonably expected), the jump is never that high.
    And what of Raiola takes a percentage of his earnings? He's his agent, so he probably takes anywhere between 10, perhaps 15% of his pay (whatever it is they've negotiated). Same way how Raiola probably earns a piece of what Lukaku makes as well. Standard stuff really.
    I have no real idea how much he makes in endorsements, but it stands to reason it has to be a lot. So his £290k/wk salary just from United is by no measure being underpaid at this time, as far as I'm concerned.
    He puts in an excellent season this term and he'll have all the leverage in the world to negotiate a new deal. All power to him then.

6. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That did not look to be the case at all or no one made it clear to Alexis Sanchez. Jose is saving face.

benni... repped this.
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking into it a little more closely, Pogba is not only one of the highest earners at United, but he's easily in the Top 5, league wide sitting 4th at £290k/wk. Ahead of him are Sanchez, KDB and Ozil (all at £350). Guys like Hazard and Salah are at £200k/wk each, while someone like Kante is at a "mere" £120k/wk.
    Again, not privy with the amount each players makes in endorsements, but I'd be willing to venture that Pogba, with the money he makes from commercial and marketing commitments, is probably the highest paid player in the Prem.
    As a reference point, the only players who make more than him at Real and Barca are Ronaldo when he was there, Messi, Bale and Suarez. None of Barca's midfielder can even touch what he makes, while Kroos is a £200k/wk and Modric is a £180 (but he's set for a bump).
    Sure he can make more, given his age, value and potential, but £15mil/yr or $19mil (with his United contract alone) is not being underpaid...

9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I went back through the thread and I can't find one contemporaneous source for 290k pw in 2016

That is a figure that has emerged recently and I believe includes endorsements

But at the time the number was quoted at under 200 as far as I can see

If he really was on 290 pw that would have been 2nd highest in league behind free agent Ibra

So why no hype about that?

I call BS

Recently this 290 figure is quoted by the site you list but I can't find reliable primary sources for that number

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There is also no way in 2016 that Utd would pay elite goal scorer money to a central midfielder

So my guess is that in recent months this 290 number has been cooked up including commercial deals

But there is no mention of this figure when he signed with utd

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Naboomagnoli repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fine, we'll agree to disagree, until you can produce anything credible that actually back your numbers.
    The Prem is the most profitable football league in Europe, United easily and decidedly have the highest wage bill in the league. What is so hard to believe that they'd pay premium money for a player they broke the transfer record to get at the time...?

13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  14. reddevilmike

reddevilmike Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the agent supposed to serve the player? The balance of that relationship seems insanely skewed. Raiola is also the one who negotiated that contract for him in the first place.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually believed that after endorsements, Pogba would be the highest paid player in the Prem. He was actually #3, according to Forbes for this past season:
    1 - Rooney: $23.6mil total, $17.6mil in salary and bonuses, plus $6mil (from Nike and others)
    2 - Aguero: $22.6mil total, $14.6mil in salary and bonuses, plus $8mil in endorsements (Puma, Nissan and Pepsi being the main ones)
    3 - Pogs: $21.2mil total, $17.2mil in salary and bonuses, plus $4mil in endorsements (Adidas mainly, with whom he has a 10yr contract worth $38-40mil)

Don't approve of the relationship Raiola seems to have with Pogba. But knowing full well how greedy a person he is, there's really no way he wouldn't have secured his guy a huge contract (only increases his cut after all).
    Pogs underpaid? Highly, highly unlikely under Raiola's watch...

16. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because The Mirror is such a vaunted and trustworthy site. Not to mention there are far more sources which appear to clearly support the fact that Pogs is one of the highest players in the Prem.
    But yeah, I guess they all magically make stuff up, just because...

18. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    ...I mean, probably just use them then if they exist.

19. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
  20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprise, surprise. From the moment Barca have expressed an interest in Poga, they've been hooked and will remain so for the foreseeable future, even after we've rebuffed them very clearly.
    And seeing how Pogs may feel right now, it's unlikely he's going to say or do anything to squash these rumors. Only gives him more power and he's not about to relinquish it. Not yet at least and the onus is clearly on United to keep him happy...

21. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Well the contract was leaked so 160k is his base. Bonuses take it much higher but that's the same for Alexis.

Raiola would be a bad agent if he wouldn't pressurize United now.

22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You seem gleeful at the prospect.

Of course, I'm sure it is all just paper talk.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Pogba were to leave next year, and it's a big if, as Woodward will surely fight tooth and nail to keep him at the club, the best replacement possible remains Sergej (Milinkovic-Savic).
    He's obviously not at Pogs level yet, but he certainly has the potential to provide the same impact he does and he's really not that far off arguably. Still very young and has a pretty high ceiling. Doesn't look like he'll be moving this summer (despite some rumors going on about him) and that is a good thing for his growth and development. He'd seriously soften the blow of potentially losing Pogba. If it came to that, he'd automatically become our biggest priority in my estimation.

25. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    “Mourinho recognises that he can be provocative at times in a bid to get a response but expects his players to raise any issues that they have with him to his face.”

lol

Naboomagnoli and johno repped this.